Sign in to follow this  
ThePredator

Authentic sound & weapon Mod

Modern Warfare Modification for Armed Assault

This mod is for all hardcore realism fans out there. No balancing, no fancy hollywood sound effects.

My goal is to change vanilla ArmA into the combat simulation it should've been out-of-the-box. There are two versions available, the sound-only modification and the config modification for uncompromised realism.

Previews:

Video Previews

UPDATE May 14th, 2007:

v0.154_SO_Beta for ArmA 1.07b released

Modern Warfare @ Armaholics.net

UPDATE June 13th, 2007:

v0.155_SO_RC2 released. (ArmA 1.08 compatible)

Modern Warfare @ Armaholics.net

ChangeLog

UPDATE March 16th, 2007:

Beta of my Config-Mod released (ArmA 1.04 ONLY!wink_o.gif

ModWar v0.152_C_BETA

Please send me feedback and criticism for improvements !

NOTE: Do NOT modify the files without my permission.

I know nothing about modding either, but I look forward to a preview.

feel free to pm me If you want someone who isn't affraid of reinstalls, as the campaign isn't my interest wink_o.gif

As many classes are not able to be overwritten anymore, I guess feersum(or who was it?) can tell you more bout that,I guess the only way to make a replacement pack is to copy the addon to a modfolder e.g. @realsounds\Addons

and repbo it over there, or use a patcher program like I did.

You could aswell edit the config.bin (convert to config.cpp) and remap the sounds there to a new pbo with only your sounds in, but this is just "as bad" as the earlier described method as you either need to repack the config into the pbo in the original folder or in the modfolder biggrin_o.gif

I need help with the modfolder system, since I do not know how the cfgpatches(?) thing work...

I need help with the modfolder system, since I do not know how the cfgpatches(?) thing work...

The cfgpatches stuff has nothing to do with the modfolder, that is what I tried explaining before.

Modfolders are used to split up the addons, have easy way of switching certain mods on/off, or used to overwrite original gamefiles, without really overwritting them smile_o.gif

So...

Unpbo the current ArmA\Addons\weapons.pbo etc...

Move the folder to: ArmA\@realsound\Addons

Replace the weapon sounds you want

Repbo the weapons folder into weapons.pbo

Start game with: -mod=@realsound   and voila... you have your replacement sounds for weapons in without editing or overwriting the original BIS files in the ArmA\Addons folder..

Now do the same with all the other addons you wanted to do..

Then, if Mikero already released such tool...not sure, use Mikero's pbo patcher tool to create a patch between the original arma files in arma\addons and your arma\@realsound\addons  files and distribute that smile_o.gif

You can also use xdelta or patchwise patcher as I do with my patches.

You can also write batch files and distrbute the sounds just as soundfiles to the users...

Then the batch files take over the above mentioned process:

It copies ArmA\addons\weapons.pbo to ArmA\@realsounds\addons

Then unpbo's it

Copies in the replacement sound files

Repbo's it

Voila

(You know how to write .bat files? If not you might want to take a look at my patches that include .bat files, as it's a fair example I guess..)

I don't think there is any other way at the moment in how to replace sounds in the game, as Feersum (or who was it) already noted, that you can't just overwrite every class you want, so making a seperate addon with only the edited sounds, is not going to work, unless someone else knows a way to accomplish this.

When my own projects take less time I can invest some more time in helping you if the above doesn't workout somehow

The patchwise thing sounds nice, if I could get my hands on that tool (servers down).

Well, you guys just have to wait a litte longer....

Uploaded a sample video, the sounds are quite compressed due to this process, but you get an idea of how the sounds increase the combat atmosphere.

All sounds are either recorded or from an open source sound pack. Some sounds are from a sound mod I need to find again to give proper credits. All sounds are modified with professional editing software to cut out clipping or distortions.

Still, this is a beta state. Nothing final. If anyone has some suggestion, let me know. My goal is pure realism, no spectacular sounds.

Clicky

Sounds really good man. Definitely go for realism and not hollywoodish sounds.

BTW your youtube name is 338LapuaMagnum, are you .338LapuaMagnum from swat 4 that did the code 11 mod?

I just thought I would interject that I would run a mod from a mod directory, but I would never patch over the original files for any reason. I like to keep my game install nice a pure. I don't know if I'm the only one, but food for thought.

Any ETA for mod release? Sounds are pretty good, although I m not sure if Cobras' were firing in this clip, if so sound of Cobra cannon should be changed to more like low tone drumm (in VBS1 there was good sound for Cobra's cannon).

Sounds great!

Does the sound addon cover all the inf.weapon sounds...namely ak74 sounds like someone is banging drums or something, just terrible.

Sounds really good man. Definitely go for realism and not hollywoodish sounds.

BTW your youtube name is 338LapuaMagnum, are you .338LapuaMagnum from swat 4 that did the code 11 mod?

Yes, that was me.

All weapons are changed but the M249 and some vehicle weapons. In this video everything sounds different. The AK-74 has a nice sound to it IMO. I still have to change the volume for some.

For the VBS1 sounds, I doubt I am allowed to use some of those.

No ETA yet, I need a setup for the modfolder, patchwise, as sickboy mentioned, seems to be down.

Update: I have to mention that this is not just a sound-mod. I changed some values so it is more realistic. But I need to know much much more to really understand the config entries.

I still need the size for a standing human character and the correct conversion for scope magnifications.

Glad to see you in ArmA. I was always hoping to have iron sights in swat4, but I realize that was not easy.

If this really turns out good, maybe you should team up with the WGL guys and help out with the sounds in thier realism mod for ArmA, since you seem to be a realism fan. thumbs-up.gif

Update: I have to mention that this is not just a sound-mod. I changed some values so it is more realistic. But I need to know much much more to really understand the config entries.

I still need the size for a standing human character and the correct conversion for scope magnifications.

I'm sorry, but this worries me. Would you be able to release the sound mod without the changes first? It would be awesome to have that sooner because the sounds really do sound fantastic.

For the VBS1 sounds, I doubt I am allowed to use some of those.

I'm not asking for VBS1 sounds but just same style sounds. I can try to rip it from my videos I got on DVDs.

I can release two different versions, plain sound-mod and the authentic weapons mod w/ sounds.

Should be quite easy.

If anybody got PatchWise on their HDD, pls PM me or send it via ICQ/AIM.

Their servers seem to be broken and I am no coder/scripter which makes it difficult for me to create batch files.

Linky not working.

But I guess that is a previous version of the tool I seek.

The d/l link on their homepage is still not working.

But another question: Can someone create such a setup for me or the needed batchfiles? I am a n00b in coding. It's like ancient greek to me.

Well, I am working on the weapons data right now. Sounds are pretty much final for now.

I still need someone who can support me with some sort of setup routine or a working link to patchwise, as Sickboy mentioned.

Yeah, I tried to get the latest 2.39 or something...but the official site has some error.

Well, I've got the program but no idea how to create the required setup...

I bet the easy way out (for me, that is) would be to release the beta and write some instruction to create the modfolder with the required files....

For now, I will stick to that method until someone can help me out.

UPDATE: Version 0.1 released, see first post for link.

First impression: It's just awesome notworthy.gif

First problem: ags-30 sound is missing huh.gif