Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Islands WIP

What about ARMANISTAN : a fictious rock desert and mountainous island with canyons that would be well suited Afghanistan/Iran/Pakistan and some other middle-east regions ?

Why don't we just take DEM's from the USGS and create the real thing? I use to do it with WRP in OFP.

- Ack

Hi, some chinese, japanese and vietnamise tipical houses, palaces,

temples, ruins or something like that, will be very good, well placed

into a small size or medium sized island with some palms in the center and a good shore line... some few roads that lead to some

old stone made temple ruins at the shadow of a taller place where

place a heavy FARP; a small far away piece of land where an AV8B

could land... and i think that that will be a really good island that

i'll like to download and play in it for sure. Let's C ya

Östgöta Ops is currently working on our home town as an island.

The place where we grew up... Finally we will be able to blow up our school wink_o.gif

Well, I for one will make my own map when the tools arrive, I'm thinking of taking the Rahmadi-map and use it as a basis, but instead of sea, there's going to be desert, and lots of it, it will have huge rocky deserts, sand-dune-desert, and some mountainous regions, also, there might be small villages/towns and farms here and there, and probably a large main highway, no "large" cities/towns though, since neither the AI nor my computer handles that well , well, that's what I'm planning on anyway.

I've got some experience from creating islands for ofp, but I never really finished anything serious back then (the only thing I released was some pacific-island-thingy), and I might not finish this thing I've planned either, but since the woodland-regions in the game lags so much, and I think that desert climate suits the engine best this will be my main goal, gosh, this turned into pointless ranting, but yeah, that's my plan. (there's lots of lots of objects perfect for desert climate too).

Also, I'm pretty dissapointed by the desert area in Arma, since it's so small you can always se either the sea or the more tropical areas (except if you use lots of fog), and that doesn't really make it feel like your'e in the middle of a desert.

when is those afghanistan maps coming up. i love afghanistan mountains and lets make HUGE city's like in VBS1 in Iraq they had a humages city. and try to customize the city so we can go roof to roof and make the building realisticly fall down. What i mean by that is to allow you to blow a hole in a building and rush in the area. That would increase close tactics very well. Also aim for military flexibility

I doubt that dynamicly destructable buildings are possible without massive lag.

i want to make new buildings once the tools are available. maybe some more european style, but i still have not decided that...

Parisian-style buildings would be nice. Many of them share a very distinctive Hausmanian architecture which makes them both very recognizable and rather easy to duplicate.

Having played a lot of MP lately, I'm thinking of making a linear (~4:1) island with a focus on tactical symmetry and balance. The aim would be to allow CTI style gameplay with a natural battlefront rather than scattered battle zones.

Now that arm a has the streaming, it would be possible to make "levels" as you would see similar in other fps games.

This of course will defeat the objective of the rendering system. But one could make a very detailed "area" such as a port, ww2 commando mission, and focus on that area alone. And so forth...

It might be an idea for a few out there.

Nick

Yeah, but ArmA still isn't the best at handling a lot of objects in one place at a time, at least city objects. Seeing how cities can lag down some games a lot, I don't think a really condensed large city area is still a possiblity. They do however work better than forests.

I did a little paint-sketch of what I'm planning (a very very ugly sketch), I'm skipping the "having Rahmadi in the middle"-idea since I noticed that map is very small, so here goes:

conceptmap.jpg

The main freeway will be elevated and two-filed with some gas-stations etc. along it.

The "Rahmadi section" won't be the Rahmadi section anymore, but some sort of larger main town, it will probably have quite a lot of open spaces in it though, since the AI can't handle crammed streets very well.

The mountain towns will probably be quite small and crammed onto cliffs with small roads leading to them.

The vast dune sea will, well, pretty much be a vast dune sea with maybe some ruins and abandoned houses here and there.

The "grassy desert" will be kindof like the land on the Rahmadi-island, but a little more desert, pretty flat etc. I'll probably include some large oil-fields and less grassy desert there too.

The farmlands will be.. well, farmlands.

Also, the entire land will be surrounded by very high mountains, instead of it being an island.

And ofcourse the borders between different landscapes won't be as sharp and unrealistic as in that sketch.

The reason I'm posting this is because someone might have some ideas, and keep it realistic please, no "make mogadishu!!11" (no offence against the thread-creator) or "make the terrain deformable"

smile_o.gif