Sign in to follow this  
nuxil

Afterburner on su34

im woundering,, is it posseble to script afterburer on the su34 ?

Or would it be to hard tracking the position of the aircraft? i mean like the 3d position of the object, not only the 3d position on the map..

i know one can do many fancy effects with the drop command,,

:P

Drop accepts a named selection instead a position as long as you provide the object is last parameter. If you find out the named selection for Su34 exhausts you will be able to have a pretty nice afterburner effect.

Just Awsome !!.. Send me that modifyed file of the su34 when your finished with it tounge2.gif

no modified file - just a script that runs on the vehicle of your choice. it will look weird on anything but a su34 though wink_o.gif

also it's purely cosmetical as of now. i haven't created an on/off switch yet, it doesn't activate above a certain speed etc. might do that as i find the time.

Are you using named selections or positions relative to aircraft pos? If the former, please, post these named selections smile_o.gif If the last, that will keep cosmetical forever as the drops will not consider pitch/roll of the plane.

lethal i really like that littel screenshot of yours. smile_o.gif

hope you make it avaleble for us the rest of the arma people soon. :P

and btw.. if you can or will or wount... it would be verry useble if you only activate the afterburner while example "shift" and "trottle up" W in my case. is hold in.

"" and use velocity on the vehicle to give it a acceliration boost :P ""

Quote[/b] ]that will keep cosmetical forever as the drops will not consider pitch/roll of the plane.

Issues with pitch/roll of the plane are irelevant since Arma. See setvectorUp and setVectorDir and associated commands.

Quote[/b] ]that will keep cosmetical forever as the drops will not consider pitch/roll of the plane.

Issues with pitch/roll of the plane are irelevant since Arma. See setvectorUp and setVectorDir and associated commands.

actually it's not completely irrelevant. since the particles are not simply dropped but emitted in a certain direction i had to adjust the script a little. otherwise the afterburner trail would have always pointed in the same direction biggrin_o.gif

i solved that problem now by simply running a loop that updates the particle emitters vector as the plane rotates. i also had to update the emitters position that way since is seems to stop once the plane had a certain distance to it. this is all solved now but unfortunately i've run into another problem:

i need to adjust the speed of the particles according to the plane's speed in order to prevent the particles from becoming too spread out at high speed. i had this working before i made the last few adjustments but something must have broken it. mayby i'll find the culprit tomorrow smile_o.gif

those are the numbers that need to be adjusted to correct the issue above. they determine the vector at which particles are emiited from the source:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_exhaustdir_x = -(vectorDir _aircraft select 0)*30;

_exhaustdir_y = -(vectorDir _aircraft select 1)*30;

_exhaustdir_z = -(vectorDir _aircraft select 2)*30;

next update:

afterburner1sn5.jpg

afterburner2iv8.jpg

afterburner3id0.jpg

as you can see it no longer becomes streched at high speed smile_o.gif

i have also adjusted it so that length and size of the trail is now influenced by aircraft speed. i would have preferred it to be influenced by throttle settings though. anybody know if that is possible?

anyway - all that's left now is tweaking the colors, shape and size a bit then making it fully functional, via hotkey or something.

Most impressive... Indeed it is.. biggrin_o.gif

thanks for the encouragement smile_o.gif

i've playerd around with the idea of adding other particle effects to the same script. contrails at high altitude for example, a high aoa condensation effect and that puff one can see when an aircraft breaches the sound barrier... (dunno what its called) what do you think? it *sould* be possible with the tools given and I imagine now that i figured out how to compensate for high speed it wouldn't be that much trouble anymore. Reference pictures of those effects would also be much appreciated

... that puff one can see when an aircraft breaches the sound barrier... (dunno what its called) ...

Supersonic boom (I think) would be cool.

No matter that I don't fly too much, your work really impressed me wink_o.gif .

Jepp the sonic boom would also be cool..

I think that would be simplere to make since ther are fewer colors to mess with..

but making that sonic boom at 1 225 km/t.. which is about the realistic speed. would be plain stupid since you need the hole map +++ to get up to that speed. some more like 500 / 600 maybe, would be more game realistic.,, just my oppinion.

but dont rush yourself.. i think you have already done a great work smile_o.gif

still working on it. here's one more shot for ya:

sonicboomll4.jpg

smile_o.gif

still not completely happy with the afterburner yet, though. might just be an engine limitation but it seems at high speed there's still a bit of streching sometimes resulting in a slightly weird looking trail when looked at from the side... sad_o.gif i get a picture of that situation later on, and let you decide if it's acceptable. working on something myself i sometimes become too fixated on 'small' issues and need a new perspective smile_o.gif

problem1 at very low speed (standing still, rolling slowly) the particles don't blend into one another but overlap creating this effect:

afterburnerproblem1ap5.jpg

this is the stretching i was talking about earlier. seems to be related to speed and general engine (the gfx engine, not the aircrafts wink_o.gif ) workload:

afterburnerproblem2ad8.jpg

as a comparison here's what it *should* look like:

afterburnernormalxc4.jpg

what can i say,, im speach less.. it looks great for my eyes smile_o.gif

have you made hotkeys for the afterburner so it isnt on all the time?

just out of curiosity, at what speed does the sonnic fog appare?

and did you think about what i sayd. about using setVelocity to give the aircfraft a boost.? what would be so cool smile_o.gif

thers are some examples on the wiki,

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVelocity

where you could put example _speed = _x+1; in a loop. so it acsalirate smooth to a max value..

have you made hotkeys for the afterburner so it isnt on all the time?

just out of curiosity, at what speed does the sonnic fog appare?

and did you think about what i sayd. about using setVelocity to give the aircfraft a boost.?

no hotkey or anything like that yet but i do plan on it wink_o.gif giving a boost to the acceleration when the AB is activated is an idea i also had before and i'll see hw i'm gonna implement it. right now i'm just finishing up the visuals.

i have the "fog" set to appear from 800-805 km/h but that is really easy to change if anybody likes it differently.

You're just teasing man, that's mean wink_o.gif

You KNOW it's already awsome.

no not teasing at all. i really think there are quite a few issues with it sad_o.gif

but see for yourself...

preview version. no hotkey (i haven't figured out how to do that yet) but instead the effect gets activated by acceleration...

to use the script put

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this execVM "SU34Effects\SU34Effects.sqf" inside the init field of one of your su34s. you can execute it from anywhere though - you just have to replace "this" with the name of the unit wink_o.gif

i just inlove.gif it

i have just tested it.. you have done some really good work there lethal!

keep up the good work biggrin_o.gif

new version

-now activated by keystroke (q for the moment but that can be changed - let me know which keys you prefer)

-boosts speed

-burns fuel

i don't think it's multiplayer-compatible yet. i think i'll need some help in that department. if anybody has any suggestions and/or advice please let me know smile_o.gif

just tested the new version now.. all i can say i like it,,

espesialy the boost part where you use alot of fule when you have the afterburner enabled.. smile_o.gif

Q button is not of my choice since i use it for my left rudder..

i would say shift is more usefull "for me" but i guess that i can change myself

just tested the new version now.. all i can say i like it,,

espesialy the boost part where you use alot of fule when you have the afterburner enabled.. smile_o.gif

Q button is not of my choice since i use it for my left rudder..

i would say shift is more usefull "for me" but i guess that i can change myself

k - you know how to change the key?

i'm also looking for for peoples opinions on the balancing. AB too powerful? not using enough fuel? using too much? play with it a bit and then tell me what you think. i haven't spent any time on that yet but i guess now it's time to get the numbers right.

well i'll read this post

anyway.. i think i noticed something with the sonic fog.. it looks a bit pink to be.. "a girly sonic fog" tounge2.gif .. dont know if you noticed it..

http://www.picfury.com/29/sonicfog-1.html

and i think the fule usage when the afterburner is on should stay as it is "IMO".. Afterburners are not meant to stay on for long time,, as it drains the fule tank of a aircrafts in real life,

but i think the aircraft accsalirate a bit to fast when the "AB" is on. i would also like to see others oppinion on this.

eighter way. i like it verry much smile_o.gif

btw.. have you thought about adding that fog that appares when a aircraft does a sharp turn ?