Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Hardware and settings for ArmA

@Dannyllnl69:

I hope it is good for Arma. But I have read many posts from people having trouble with NVIDIA 8800 GFX Card and ARMA, I really hope you want became one of them and don't expect to run it on highest settings even with that hardware.

but but isnt alienware good computers ? crazy_o.gif , what do you recommend , i want the game to be in its best graphics help.gif

Go to NASA and steal one of their super-comps. But still I can't garantee you anything ...

that sucks guys sad_o.gif i was so damn happy i was going to play arma with a hightech computer sad_o.gif what seems to be the problem with that computer , can someone explain it to me help.gif

Your comp configuration is great and state of the art, as I myself also have Alienware Comp I must admit they make very good quality comps with very high prises, but quality costs. There are many performance and compatibility problems with Arma engine itself so I only wanted to save you from disappointment I and many other had with the game, if you want to see what is going on look trough the troubleshooting part of the forums and make a search. There is no one that can recommend anything because the problems are sort of random, there are many people with low spec comps that apparently have no problems and other with high specs comps like yours that have not, because of that I wish you could be one of the lucky guys that can play this game on full.

SkillBurner so what basicly is the problem the graphixs card ? i can get the :

320MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTS

or

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS

which one is recomended if thats the problem?

Sorry, but I don't know which is better for ARMA and I doubt anybody knows it with certainty, you can try to see in other threads. For me generally your first configuration you posted is top notch I think you should keep it like that, only don't be disappointed when ARMA is not performing like you have expected.

definitely get the 8800 one ...

8600 is too weak for good gaming

if you consider to use widescreen and HD resolution then think about 320MB variant as minimum ...

look at 8600 as card more useful for multimedia with some gameplay on 1280x1024 ...

while 8800 are strong enough to run any game for You till now

yes it will run it better than 8600 for sure wink_o.gif

another option is go with AMD.ATI HD X2900XT

but in this case i suggest wait for release of Catalyst 7.5 final version

I didn't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I've noticed something strange:

While experimenting with my settings, I found something unusual - if I set "object details" to VERY HIGH, I gain between 5-10 FPS! The game actually runs FASTER on the highest object setting.

Has anyone else tried this?

I tried what you said yesterday. I was playing with everything on low, and when I put it all up to normal it seemed to run a bit smoother. I still haven't tried it on very high, but your post has given me inspiration wink_o.gif

Abs

While experimenting with my settings, I found something unusual - if I set "object details" to VERY HIGH, I gain between 5-10 FPS! The game actually runs FASTER on the highest object setting.

Has anyone else tried this?

i tryed it and i lose 5 to 10 fps and it doesnt run smoother for me.

Quote[/b] ]While experimenting with my settings, I found something unusual - if I set "object details" to VERY HIGH, I gain between 5-10 FPS! The game actually runs FASTER on the highest object setting.

I found that using lower resolution like 800x something or 1024x something slowed down Arma.

This sounds illogical but higher resolution settings give me better FPS crazy_o.gif

Gfx card : Leadtek Nvidia Gforce A7600 GT

Quote[/b] ]i tryed it and i lose 5 to 10 fps and it doesnt run smoother for me.

Still got your shadows up "very high" , right ?

(...)

Yeah, definitely watch the shadow settings. I find low to be more than adequate.

Quote[/b] ]i tryed it and i lose 5 to 10 fps and it doesnt run smoother for me.

actually i have them on low and sometimes i turn them off.

viewdistance ?

It baffles me a bit that you have to run on "low"

I have set the first 3 options to high

and the rest low AF, off, AA, normal, shadows low and a VD of 2000 and it runs smooth.

Athlon 3000+

1 Gig DDR Ram

regular HD´s with extra partition for Arma + fresh XP SP2

The AA is the biggest FPS killer in my setup.

Im trying my O/C utils but honestly I dont even notice a visual difference with AA on or off except that its a big drop if its on even low.

All other setting have little or no effect (except resolution) compared to this AA culprit. Does anyone confirm this effect?

AA is always the biggest performance hit. I cant use it, as I don't want to have to run everything else at "Very Low". I found using post processing can give the same effect to a certain extent e.g. removing the "jaggies". You could also try to switch off AA in armed assault and enable it in your graphics driver. Some times your drivers can provider a more optimized AA for your GFX card than a game can. A third way is to increase your screen resolution, running at 1600x1200 for example, you wont need to use AA and it may not take as much resources. what resolution are you running at? you wont really notice it a high-res. you should see the difference on lower resolutions with AA enabled.

Sean

Quote[/b] ]You could also try to switch off AA in armed assault and enable it in your graphics driver.

Thats exactly what I have done actually.

I have the AA options enabled there in my cards utility.

turned off ingame. Im not sure if Im getting any ARMA AA or not.

But I do notice DOF is working. All my other settings seem to have minimal if any drain. Its hard to tell the difference in visual quality for AF and post effects. Except resolution which is a bit brighter and sharper. I have it at 1280 x...

768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX

Does this card work fine in Arma ? help.gif

Many people are having problems with that card. As far as I know, it's a problem with the drivers. You should take a look at the troubleshooting forums, I believe there is an 8800 thread there.

viewdistance ?

It baffles me a bit that you have to run on "low"

I have set the first 3 options to high

and the rest low AF, off, AA, normal, shadows low and a VD of 2000 and it runs smooth.

Athlon 3000+

1 Gig DDR Ram

regular HD´s with extra partition for Arma + fresh XP SP2

my VD is 1000.

I normally use my textures at normal, but sometimes im forced to reduce to low so i gaim more FPS.

What kinda of mems do you have?

I own ddr 400 (3200)

maybe that makes the difference.

And i believe my main board is whats slowing down my game. confused_o.gif

Will these specs run ArmA at 1280x1024 on "HIGH" settings?

GIGABYTE Nvidia 650i Motherboard ($139.99)

Intel e6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo

eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 (pc6400) RAM

700W OCZ GameXStream Power Supply

Antec p180 Case (three vents, three case fans, not including CPU fan and vid fan)

SB Live! Sound card

Seagate 7200rpm SATA HDD (320GB)

Microsoft Windows XP Home