Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Next Generation U.S. military weapons

if you watched discovery channel than you probaly seen this

tb_40076_2.jpg

tb_40076_1.jpg

this spiffy little toy is called the OICW (objective individual combat weapon)The OICW can be a dual- or single-barrel weapon. The removable top barrel hurls 20mm high-explosive air-bursting fragmentation rounds over the heads of hidden targets more than a half-mile away. The lower barrel shoots NATO-standard 5.56mm ammunition. These "kinetic" rounds provide accurate single-round or suppressive fire bursts at distances up to about 500 yards. A single trigger is linked to both barrels, by way of a laser-guided electronic fire-shot system as sophisticated as what you will find on a modern tank.

Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW)

"No Place to Hide"

The Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) is a next-generation infantry rifle system that will give American fighting troops an unprecedented capability on the 21st century battlefield.

In 1999, the program completed its Proof of Principles phase and in August, 2000, ATK was awarded a four-year Program Definition and Risk Reduction phase to incorporate lessons learned from the initial three advanced technology weapons built. After the end of PDRR, soldiers will conduct a mini-operation testing program to evaluate changes made and provide recommendations for the two-year engineering manufacture development phase (2005-07).

oicw1b.jpg

bullet1.jpg

bullet2.jpg

bullet3.jpg

OICW-Airburst.jpg

oicw-labeled-1.jpg

Arent they making thee next gen tanks out of high density plastics.

In case any of you lot are wetting your self’s to fire a digitised version of the OCIW I will recommend Ghost Recon for it shame it is a crap game.

there is also a new machine gun that will replace the M-60 its similar to OCIW capabilities such as the ability to fire "smart bullets" that denonate above a target thats taken cover behind a object. unlike other machine guns is very light weight and doesnt need the heavy sandbags sitting on the feet of the tripod. its a pretty cool weopon, it was on the same show that i saw the OCIW on discovery channel. is somebody could tell me what it is i'll find some nice pics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Monkey Lib Front @ Feb. 03 2002,21:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arent they making thee next gen tanks out of high density plastics.<span id='postcolor'>

plastic make things possible

i dont think so, sounds interesting though where did you hear that?

its a very nice gun, no doubt, looks very cool and would no doubt look cool and be really effective on the battlefield, but this is just a case of the Us spending way to much money for pointless stuff, i mean, it seems now rthe only way NATO will fight the enemy is to bomb the fuck out of them, gain air superiority, bomb them some more, send in some spec ops (who will no doubt use older guns for ages because they're tried and tested, just like always) and then use ground troops to take in refugees and captives.

It is a nice gun, but i doubt it'll have a major impact on any kind of ground warfare.

and watching ''Future Fighting Machines'' on bravo shows us already there are loads more cooler guns coming out that piss on it anyway (like that pistol that fires loads of heat seeking grenades and stuff)

Would it be pedantic to say that the "Ultimate Infantry Weapon" is a well trained soldier? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Feb. 03 2002,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arent they making thee next gen tanks out of high density plastics.<span id='postcolor'>

i dont think so, sounds interesting though where did you hear that?<span id='postcolor'>

It was an article in the newspaper *stealth tanks*

This will be my last Post as i am about to be banned biggrin.gif

The design feature I question the most about the OICW is the 10 inch barrel -- the 5.56 isn't very effective from such a short barrel.

The powder won't burn completely, it will have an enormous muzzle blast, and the bullet will loose a significant chunk of its power and velocity...

i dont care what the cons are of this gun, i just want one. maybe make target practice on some mice or rabbits, BTW its still in the prototype phase, so it will be subject to change.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Monkey Lib Front @ Feb. 04 2002,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arent they making thee next gen tanks out of high density plastics.<span id='postcolor'>

i dont think so, sounds interesting though where did you hear that?<span id='postcolor'>

It was an article in the newspaper *stealth tanks*

This will be my last Post as i am about to be banned  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

stealth tanks eh? like in Comand & Conquer?

I agree, for for do you need more guns for? Which other superpower you need to compete with. What is all that "defense" about that Bush announced. The US profed that they can quickly react in even the most remote areas of the world (Afghanistan). Or do you prepare for the war with Aliens?

It certainly looks impressive, but I do have second thoughts about the design. The height of the weapon from the top of the scope/video/whatever to the bottom of the magazine is too much. Imagine how it is to lie down to the ground when you have to raise your head that much in order to get a line of sight. Your head would be too exposed. It also looks a bit bulky and there is too much that could go wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Feb. 04 2002,03:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It certainly looks impressive, but I do have second thoughts about the design. The height of the weapon from the top of the scope/video/whatever to the bottom of the magazine is too much. Imagine how it is to lie down to the ground when you have to raise your head that much in order to get a line of sight. Your head would be too exposed. It also looks a bit bulky and there is too much that could go wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

if you look at my first pic, you will see that if bulk is a problem, the gun will seperate into a smaller sub machine gun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, for for do you need more guns for? Which other superpower you need to compete with. What is all that "defense" about that Bush announced. The US profed that they can quickly react in even the most remote areas of the world (Afghanistan). Or do you prepare for the war with Aliens?

you never know, there is always competition between countries, and the U.S.A and China are infact at odds with each other. and North Koriea is another that is worring everybody. why do we want to upgrade to new effective hardware? why not? its not like they are built to make messy deaths like in "DOOM" like games. its not like where goin to be the only nation that will be upgrading its weapons. man kind has been upgrading weapons since the stone age. from a simple sharpened stick to the firearm. almost all of the weapons in between the two times have been far more gruesome than the weapons of today. and i do beleive that there is other life out there in the galaxy and when we start exploring the endless void, some of the other worlds may not be too friendly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Feb. 04 2002,04:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It certainly looks impressive, but I do have second thoughts about the design. The height of the weapon from the top of the scope/video/whatever to the bottom of the magazine is too much. Imagine how it is to lie down to the ground when you have to raise your head that much in order to get a line of sight. Your head would be too exposed. It also looks a bit bulky and there is too much that could go wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

if you look at my first pic, you will see that if bulk is a problem, the gun will seperate into a smaller sub machine gun.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but still, think about all the fiddling when you seperate the two parts/guns. And do you in the heat of the moment know which weapon is most apropriate. Besides, I believe the optics/video scope is easy to damage if you wear it on the body when you are crawling around on the ground.

if you ever seen the show on discovery channel on this weapon, you will see that there is no fiddling at all to remove it, it snaps on and off. as for the part of choosing which weapon is apropriate, i dont see what would be the problem there is only two types of firing modes, both of them with one purpose each. on the bottom, fires standard bullets. the top fires "smart bullets" the purpose of the smart bullets is to take out targets behind cover, when fired the bullet is detonated above the target. the shrapnel from the explosion will then destroy the target(s) i know what you mean by what your saying about having your head exposed. but as far as i am concered it doesnt matter how much or how little you have your head exposed. if its exposed its exposed requardless of the weapon. and when or if it goes on the assembly line im sure that more than just the U.S. is gona be buying it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Feb. 04 2002,04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if you ever seen the show on discovery channel on this weapon, you will see that there is no fiddling at all to remove it, it snaps on and off. as for the part of choosing which weapon is apropriate, i dont see what would be the problem there is only two types of firing modes, both of them with one purpose each. on the bottom, fires standard bullets. the top fires "smart bullets" the purpose of the smart bullets is to take out targets behind cover, when fired the bullet is detonated above the target. the shrapnel from the explosion will then destroy the target(s) i know what you mean by what your saying about having your head exposed. but as far as i am concered it doesnt matter how much or how little you have your head exposed. if its exposed its exposed requardless of the weapon. and when or if it goes on the assembly line im sure that more than just the U.S. is gona be buying it.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, you are free to do whatever you wish, but I can assure you I would not stick my head up more than nessecary when the going gets tough.

smile.gif

well anyway heres what i've been looking for. this will be replacing the M-60 heavy machine gun. i cant remember the name of the weapon, all i could find out was that it was a 25mm 25mm_rifle.jpg

despite its size its a very light weigth weapon, has little recoil, and unlike most heavy machine guns, doesnt require the use weights on the feet of the tripod.

Cool guns, I think OSAMa is going to have a hard time hiding behind rocks and caves.

Our poor hind needs upgrade again or these new bullets will bring it down! Probably Diamond or FULL 2 CM TITANIUM armour??

Osama hasn't had any trouble keeping out of view, so I doubt that he is worried about new infantry weapons. He'll likely be dead (if he isn't already) before the OICW is ever deployed.