Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

AAN - ArmA Navy

AAN_0.jpg

As a natural progression of my OFP addons;

See old OFP Navy thread

I'm porting these units into Armed Assault.

Per the original intent, I wish to create playable units in ArmA, both static, moving, SP and MP to fill the shortfall in Air, Land and Sea Warfare.

While ArmA's water units are a little better than OFP, there is still a need for larger, strategic water based units to both launch from, control from or attack.

While only my Frigates were released in OFP, the Submarines were 95% complete at ArmAs release and used CoC Torpedoes whiched quite well for both AI and Human players.

I was also 80% complete with a cruise missile launcher which used the OFP Scud launching code.

The Destroyers were only about 70% completed, but generally only textures were the main WIP.

>>> Submarines <<<

ASub_1.jpg

Los Angeles Class

- Aim to both Torpedos and Cruise Missiles as armourment.

- Aim to be able to launch/board from zodiacs

ASub_2.jpg

Akula Class

- Aim to Torpedos as armourment.

- Might dump this and completely replace with the Delta IV

>>> Frigates <<<

AFrig_1.jpg

OHP Class

- To have working CIWS, Torpedos and Missiles as armourment.

- Able to get choppers on & off the deck

AFrig_2.jpg

Krivak IV Class

- To have working CIWS, Torpedos and Missiles as armourment.

Its still very likely there will be limitations for ArmA model sizes and thus some major problems to overcome ... again.

At least it looks as though the multi-turret / multi-weapon aspect will be much easier in ArmA, but as with everything else for ArmA Navy, I will need the new tools from BIS before I can come close to releasing ...... oh and some nice new ArmA worthy textures *:tounge2:

Edited by [APS]Gnat

>>> Destroyers <<<

ADest_1.jpg

Arleigh Burke Class

- To have working CIWS, Torpedos and Defence & Cruise Missiles as armourment.

ADest_2.jpg

Type 45 Class

- To have working CIWS, Torpedos and Defence & Cruise Missiles as armourment.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>>>> Other WIP <<<</span>

Delta_1.jpg

Delta_2.jpg

Russian Delta IV Class Sub - WIP

AHydro_1.jpg

Fast Attack Hyrofoils

ASeafighter_1.jpg

Hybrid Close in Support Vessel

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Hey gnat it's great to have you back in Navy business wink_o.gif i'm working on a Ticonderoga right now and i think i could need some help scripting them. maybe you could introduce me into the world of ship scripting wink_o.gif take a look at it here in the forums... there is a thread introducing the model to the community... drop me a pm if you have some time...

regards boomer

Very very very..... very great news... GNAT, your ships are awesome

Will the ships be able to move on it?

Any plans to make the 688I class of Los Angeles boats? For ArmA it would be pretty much just a face lift but was just wondering since there your using 688.

Looking very nice.

Hope to see some nice Navy for ArmA, it was really missed in OFP, atleast IMO.

Keep up the good work

JW

smile_o.gif

Gnat @ Jan. 07 2007,14:59)]I was also 80% complete with a cruise missile launcher which used the OFP Scud launching code.

Los Angeles Class

- Aim to both Torpedos and Cruise Missiles as armourment.

I do hope CoC will port over Unified Artillery with Tomahawk Cruise Missiles AND that your ships/subs will use these cruise missiles then.

At least I have tons of missions which could use the mentioned platforms.

PMC Tactical - http://tactical.nekromantix.com

Hey Gnat, have you tried to see if the 64x64m geo lod limit is still there?

I'm assuming it is but even so, it'd be nice to have it confirmed. smile_o.gif

Yes, please do confirm.  smile_o.gif

Edit: Thanks RockofSL.. bummer confused_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

Its still there. I have managed to get an 80mx 80m block in and stable but the more complex the geo lod the less stable the geo lod.

Yep, and interestingly, there may be a new problem with "clipping" on large Resolution LODs.

I ported the Kuznetsoz across to ArmA and this model differs from the Nimitz in that it has 1 huge RLOD p3d for the complete length of the carrier deck (ie, what you see, but excluding the bridge). but I noticed while running around on the deck that the bow and stern of the ship can completely disappear from view at certain angles sad_o.gif

Was only a quick test, yet to research further.

@SWAT

Probably (but not while its moving) as the collision detection in ArmA is much better.

@raynorhiarro

Well ....... as far as the model is concerned its only the conning tower drive planes that are really significantly different (ie, not there) and I personally think the 688 look better smile_o.gif

Thanks for the comments guys smile_o.gif

Hey Gnat can you tell what the Polycount from the Krivak IV Class is? And maybe you could drop me a picture with a wireframe from it? let's see if i can save some polys on the hull of my ships and add some handtracks and some more detail stuff...

regards boomer

Look rather nice so far, seems there a few of us looking at doing nautical items for ArmA

Great to see some heavy duty addons being worked on. This will sell in ArmA better than anything else smile_o.gif.

marcus

Look rather nice so far, seems there a few of us looking at doing nautical items for ArmA

Would be a shame to let that nice water be there just for eye candy. wink_o.gif

Nice work Gnat.

This may seem like a stupid question but are the ships "solid" now? As in, no more falling through deck etc.

Marcus

This may seem like a stupid question but are the ships "solid" now? As in, no more falling through deck etc.

Marcus

No. There is still a GEO limit and it is close to, if not the same as OFP. That's what gnat was talking about one page back.

I also have a WIP navy project of the Canadian Halifax Class frigate. I got it into ArmA last night and found that any collision problems (holes in the deck, etc) I was having in OFP seemed fixed. That is until I ran onto the foredeck and ended up swimming.

Incidentally, here is the ship:

wip_hfx.jpg

The roadway works from the back all the way to the front of the bridge.

In OFP-land I had it as a static obj, and a moving ship, with a working phalanx and semi-working sparrows that wouldn't launch straight up and then guide, but would come out of the tubes at a bit of an angle. The main gun isnt done yet and the ArmA version will be a while to say the least.

I can't wait to see the Arleigh Burke... thats been something I've wanted since I saw a WIP of someone elses model a year or two ago. Looking great Gnat!

This is awesome.

Anyway, I have some gameplay questions:

Will it be possible to use these as fleet combat? Like using them in a simple but the same form as the Janes simulaters? Like 688i Hunter Killer?

It would be awesome to have one player as the captain of the ship (controlling movement), one controlling the advanced weapons (such as missiles, divebombs and mines) while others could control the deck guns for close combat.

For submarines there will be one for movement, one for torpedoes/cruisemissiles and maybe a few for the deckguns when surfaced. (I assume the subs can dive?)

Will it be possible to simulate both active and passive sonar? Passive sonar could be simulated by placing two ingamme microphones 100m infront of the vehicle and 100m behind it, and then 'listen' for any activity on different bearings. Is this possible? The game should make these 'contacts' visible on a dialog-thingy for the weapon/sonar guy (should be the same guy operating both for playability), and the sound-graph for each class should be different and more and more faded out the longer the distance is between the ships. This shouldnt be much of a problem?

Will it be possible to use these as fleet combat? Like using them in a simple but the same form as the Janes simulaters? Like 688i Hunter Killer?

Or in Fleet Command?

Quote[/b] ]Passive sonar could be simulated by placing two ingamme microphones 100m infront of the vehicle and 100m behind it, and then 'listen' for any activity on different bearings.

and the sound-graph for each class should be different and more and more faded out the longer the distance is between the ships.

Wonder if anyone knows if there is any limit on ArmA water depth? (In OFP it was depth of 50 meters).

Awesome work, Gnat thumbs-up.gif

Your ships looks great...great!

awesome looking ships, keep up the good work smile_o.gif

Nice model of the Halifax FFG, missiles in Armed Assault should not be too difficult to configure to launch vertically.  However, it will take at least some scripting.  It probably will need an eventhandler to catch the missile being fired, move the fired missile to the vertical launch area and reposition it, then use a script to cause the missile to mostly fly vertically to a certain height then turn to the target.

Regarding the mentioning of the sim Fleet Command, it has been very recently re-released (Oct 2006) now with many critical bugs fixed.

Back on topic, I'm going to see what MCAR has planned on development for Armed Assault, but I'm sure they will be working on some very desired addons.  Hopefully one of them will be an Armed Assault conversion of the MCAR Anti-Ship Missile system.  (Not released for OFP yet due to OFP engine issues).  

MCAR Anti-ship missiles in OFP fly like an aircraft, have interial guidance, programmed seeker logic to find ships/armored targets (engine issue), and terminally fly into their targets and detonate on impact.

If this project is completed for Armed Assault and the engine cooperates for the MCAR programmers, you could have great naval gunfire and anti-ship battles in Armed Assault.

Sounds like you want Dangerous Waters, the sequel to Sub Command, the sequel to 688i h/k.

Quote[/b] ]For submarines there will be one for movement, one for torpedoes/cruisemissiles and maybe a few for the deckguns when surfaced. (I assume the subs can dive?)

Deck guns went out of style near the end of ww2.

Quote[/b] ]Will it be possible to simulate both active and passive sonar? Passive sonar could be simulated by placing two ingamme microphones 100m infront of the vehicle and 100m behind it, and then 'listen' for any activity on different bearings. Is this possible? The game should make these 'contacts' visible on a dialog-thingy for the weapon/sonar guy (should be the same guy operating both for playability), and the sound-graph for each class should be different and more and more faded out the longer the distance is between the ships. This shouldnt be much of a problem?

I don't have a clue what you want to achieve with your idea, but achieving reasonable sonar realism within OFP seems to me impossible.

I believe it's worth doing properly; I remember the kilo in ofp, which was 'radar detectable' from far off even when submerged.

I want something reasonable - submarines that are as easily detected and killed as the kilo was in ofp are pointless, yet for detail and realism I play dangerous waters.