Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

Are all Singleplayer missions available in COOP?

Really excited about this game so I wanted to know this from those who have it? If so, how many players can play in COOP missions?

Can't believe no one has answered this yet.

You can have as many people in a COOP map as your server can handle.

You can also take the original SINGLE player maps and edit them to make them playable online (by coop).

As far as limits of players in a server, there seems to be no limit. So you can think big wink_o.gifxmas_o.gif

Can't believe no one has answered this yet.

You can have as many people in a COOP map as your server can handle.

You can also take the original SINGLE player maps and edit them to make them playable online (by coop).

As far as limits of players in a server, there seems to be no limit. So you can think big  wink_o.gif  xmas_o.gif

Thank you for being the first to answer my question, lol.  Anywayz, I'm kind of a noob in this as I've never played OFP, so I'm not sure about what to expect in ArmA.

If I just want me and my one or 2 friends to play with AIs, can I have my normal PC become the server?  Or would I have to rent, buy, or join a dedicated gaming server?

So if I have to edit original singleplayer missions I guess none of them will become available for COOP when I first get the game? Is COOP mode for ArmA just normal multiplayer missions with AIs in them?

I was thinking ArmA's COOP was along the lines of the PC version of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter where you could set up a server, select any of the original single player mission and wait for people to join your squad. If there were'nt enough people to fill the squad the rest would be controled by friendly AI. If you died you just respawned to the body of a friendly AI.

The campaign cant be played in coop now, there is already a topic about it and IIRC someone is/was converting it for coop.

Check it in the user missions forum.

About how coop works, well, the number of players depend on the mission maker.

For example if the mission is "Insurgents Co-8" it means that u can play up to 8 players, with the rest being AI(u can disable it). About respawn it also depends on the mission maker (some likes respawn and some other doesnt like them).

But dont worry u have already more missions than GRAW and missions makers are adding more everyday.

For hosting?, yes u can create ur own server to play with ur friends. Just try it, maybe a mission with too much things doesnt run fine in ur PC+connection just play other one biggrin_o.gif

If I just want me and my one or 2 friends to play with AIs, can I have my normal PC become the server? Or would I have to rent, buy, or join a dedicated gaming server?

So if I have to edit original singleplayer missions I guess none of them will become available for COOP when I first get the game? Is COOP mode for ArmA just normal multiplayer missions with AIs in them?

I was thinking ArmA's COOP was along the lines of the PC version of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter where you could set up a server, select any of the original single player mission and wait for people to join your squad. If there were'nt enough people to fill the squad the rest would be controled by friendly AI. If you died you just respawned to the body of a friendly AI.

I'm not sure even i follow each of those two replies, but let me toss in my $0.02 on the subject:

If you are wanting to play with a few buddies, 2 or 3. a home pc with modest power can be configured as a dedicated server. Me and my bud's *the three amigo's, we call ourselves* have been gaming this way for years. We spent the entire summer of 02 playing Operation Flashpoint like that.

As for missions and what nots. There is only one map, its quite stale and lifeless by itself. Community mission makers make missions using the editor and a few other tools. And yes Coop missions are teams of humans with AI, or without versus teams of AI. The game itself comes with a few mp missions, i do believe 3 Co-Op's, DM, CTF and i think a CTI *Capture the Island*. One poster did reply that possibly either the single player game is playable MP-Coop once its beaten or someone is going to try and make it MP-Coop.

There is also JIP *Join in Progress* feature added. Which if the mission you are playing has playerable AI in it, then a newly joining player can jump right in. If you disable the ai at the mission start, this doesn't happen. Also if the mission maker of the mission you are playing used one of the respawn features where you would respawn in Team AI, then you effectively have no respawn.

And fortunately, no this game is nothing like the Rainbow 6 series.

...Syn...

The thing about OFP/ArmA Multiplayer is that the missions that come with the box are... crap. But not to worry, because there are plenty (and by plenty I mean more than you can imagine) of user missions out there. And I know what you are thinking now... You don't want 3rd party stuff because it's so complicated and everyone has to have a copy and blah, blah.

In OFP/ArmA this is not the case. The game downloads the mission for you and it's all very simple and uncomplicated. So when it comes to missions you don't need to worry. There's missions out there for every taste and any amount of players. smile_o.gif

how many players can play in COOP missions?

Hi,

currently on [LOL]Circus we are experimenting with some larger co-op maps with 48 and 60 slots (players)... (although this is not recommended on anything less than a high-end, multi-cpu server).

HTH

wombat

--

[LOL] "Send in the clowns..."

http://www.nakedsquid..com

The thing about OFP/ArmA Multiplayer is that the missions that come with the box are... crap. But not to worry, because there are plenty (and by plenty I mean more than you can imagine) of user missions out there. And I know what you are thinking now... You don't want 3rd party stuff because it's so complicated and everyone has to have a copy and blah, blah.

In OFP/ArmA this is not the case. The game downloads the mission for you and it's all very simple and uncomplicated. So when it comes to missions you don't need to worry. There's missions out there for every taste and any amount of players. smile_o.gif

So, if say, a server was playing a mission I don't have it would automatically download it to my comp?  Is it automatic like this for custom skins and textures?  Like if my friend sets up a server with custom missions and skins, I would automatically get those custom files as long as I connect to the server?

And the entire map/island is accessible online right? No redzones like in BF2? You can go anywhere in the country just like in the singleplayer?

One more thing, are the AI civilians also in the COOP missions?  I just think it's really interesting to have a military shooter with people other than enemy soldiers.

I'm not sure about addons and mods. I think there was a note that small addons could be included in the mission-file, but don't quote me on that. But on the good note, custom addons are easy to install. Simply download some pbo-files and put them in the addons-folder. It's as simple and as effective as it gets, and you won't get the headaches that you can experience with other games and mods. smile_o.gif

About the other questions... Think of OFP/ArmA as a sandbox where the mission designer sets the rules. There exist no pre-defined game modes or missions. OFP/ArmA offers more abstract thinking than other games, so it's hard to explain without the person experiencing it himself. The mission designer gives you a situation and sets the rules - it's up to you to decide how you assess that situation.

So as straight answers to your questions: Yes and no. It's really up to the mission designer. In some missions the designer will put up a "red zone" because he for some reason wants to prevent the player(s) from entering an area. In most missions you will however be free to go wherever you want. In some missions civilians will not be present as the designer don't think they are needed. In others you will see civilians populating the entire islands. And in a few others you will play as a civilian. In one mission you will protect civilians. In another they are just eye-candy. One mission might be about engaging in dialog with what seems to be civilians, but turns out to be insurgents.

It's a sandbox. If you ask yourself a question whether something is possible in OFP/ArmA the answer is probably 'yes'. smile_o.gif

So, if say, a server was playing a mission I don't have it would automatically download it to my comp? Is it automatic like this for custom skins and textures? Like if my friend sets up a server with custom missions and skins, I would automatically get those custom files as long as I connect to the server?

And the entire map/island is accessible online right? No redzones like in BF2? You can go anywhere in the country just like in the singleplayer?

One more thing, are the AI civilians also in the COOP missions? I just think it's really interesting to have a military shooter with people other than enemy soldiers.

The server will transfer a mission file to a client that doesn't have it, or if the filename is spelled differently, it assumes client doesn't have it either. Custom skins are transferred, and those can be adjusted by the server as to how big the files can be.

As for Addons, community made addons must be installed previous to a mission, if the mission-maker used those addons. Most community made missions are availible for download at various websites, and when mission makers use addons, typically they use a readme file to list the addons.

Civilians in missions would again fall under if the mission-maker wanted to add them. And also yes, you can explore the entire island, unless a mission-maker puts in a boundary on a mission.

..Syn..