Sign in to follow this  
Balschoiw

New to Armed Assault editing ?

As Armed Assault and OFP have a lot in common, editing-wise you will most likely find answers on basic questions (waypoints, vehicles, triggers, game-logics, unit-setup, grouping, etc) in the Operation Flashpoint Mission editing section of this forum.

To browse the thread click here.

To search for a solution for your problem use the Forum search and make sure you choose the Operation Flashpoint Mission Editing & Scripting section and at the bottom of the search page enable "and older" to get accurate results.

You can also check the old OFP mission editing FAQ that provides solutions for common things like working with markers, mission objectives, parachuting, rearming, etc, etc.

Some of the solutions will not work anymore because of the changes with Arma like different weaponnames, unitnames, different syntax in scripting, etc, but generally this should be one of the first places to visit if you are running into a basic problem.

Link: Old OFP Mission editing FAQ

Have fun !

This thread is not meant for asking editing questions. It´s meant for posting references and tutorials or usefull links for editing newbies.

If you run into a specific problem while editing and can´t answer your question by using the search option of the forum, open up a new thread in the Mission Editing section and you will be helped.

Edited by W0lle
Fixed import bugs and urls

Good idea about this thread!

And here are some more resources:

* Bohemia's Wiki - every command (ArmA, OFP, VBS) is covered there, as well as lots of other fundamental information regarding scripting, modeling, and even playing...

* OFPEC - Has ten of thousands of very deep and technical discussions and code snippets about pretty much any subject relating to OFP, and is now also covering ArmA. Any issues that are not specific to ArmA will most likely have been discussed there already. (esp. the Tutorial Pages are a good place to start.)

You´ll find some informations about editing in my old OFP-Tutorial:

Mr-Murray´s OFP Editing Guide 2.0

Already pulicized:

Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Special Edition (100 pages/SE-Version)

Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Gold Edition (170 pages/SE-Version 1.01)       DOWNLOAD

Coming soon:

Armed Assault Editing Guide - Deluxe Edition (>300 Pages) German/English

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

I've just created a Wiki article that covers (almost) every single option and dialogue in the mission editor. It would be a perfect reference for beginners since the ArmA manual was so lightweight.

For basic concepts and editor use, Merciless Creation's OFP: Uber Reference Guide (300 PAGES!!!) might be a good place to start.

Even though it was written for Operation Flashpoint, and some of the technical references (like object or weapons names) will not apply to ArmA anymore, it is still a very complete and useful introduction to editing.

I couldn't find a current host for this guide (seems like mercilesscreations.com went out of business), so I've posted it on my own server for now.

Edited by W0lle

Sorry, but this is a terrible post for beginners.  I spent a solid 8 hours trying to find out how to quickly script and modify missions within the ArmA built in Editor.  I looked here and throughout the WIKI.  Everything is for very advanced users not beginners.

I then went to the WIKI and tried updating examples of scripting commands, but the WIKI forum removed everything!

Here are some rules for all the super advanced users who think this is a beginners sticky.

A beginner knows nothing and when trying to learn something new he needs to feel the data is relevant.

Giving a beginner a list of "functions" he can use just raises his frustration level exponentially as he has no reference to actually use all these cool functions.

Please reference my "BEGINNERS Scripting" post for how to write a beginners instruction manual on scripting.

"Frustrated"

fasad's post is excellent beginning material. I tried updating it some in the WIKI but the moderators removed all of it. Everything else is useless here. Beginners have zero point of reference so pointing them to OFP content does NOT work!!

Thanks fasad, excellent starting point.

well said cookj71 thumbs-up.gif

People forgetting about their fromer life of suffering ... only a few

to be highly respected fellows cater for the beginner and

intermediate level.

PS: Also my respect to these people giving forum support, but

1on1 support is hardly efficient for basic learning. Tutorials and

examples are the way to go.

has anyone thought of setting up a teamspeak room to help

beginers understand stuff huh.gif

would it be of any use huh.gif

has anyone thought of setting up a teamspeak room to help

beginers understand stuff huh.gif

would it be of any use huh.gif

cookj71 hit the nail on the head, I have seen alot of scripts released on these forums, even i cant understand what is going on.

Dialog script with about 30 scripts in the folder, where to start..?

How about a single simple dialog so people can understand what makes that dialog run.

Repawn scripts, again loads of scripts in the folder, where to start and why only Blufor side only huh.gif

People need to make a simple pack for the beginners so they can understand the basics of how to use them.

Quoting myself.

Quote[/b] ]This thread is not meant for asking editing questions. It´s meant for posting references and tutorials or usefull links for editing newbies.

Not more, not less.

Edited by W0lle
Fixed import bugs

I had a look around (ie. search facility) but I can't see how it is possible to edit an existing mission. Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest.

When I create a mission it appears in My Documents\ARMA but its a different format to something I download.

Just want to have a look around in existing missions, but can't get them opened in the editor...

You need to depbo the mission file then put that folder in My docs/ArmA/Missions

You need a tool to open the pbo file.

I always use Eliteness but

Kegetys' ArmA Tools is popular, pbo view - there are quite a few tools to do the job  wink_o.gif

Edited by W0lle

Hi all!

I released the last build of my Editing Guide. The new and English one with moreover 320 pages is still in progress.

Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Gold Edition (170 pages/SE-Version 1.02)       DOWNLOAD  Size: 10,8 MB

Have fun!!!

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Very good job Mr-Murray.

I still remember back in the good old OFP times without your Editing Guide i never would came that deep into OFP/ArmA editing as i'm now.

So this is a must have.

Thank you very much for the hard work. thumbs-up.gif

I released the last build of my Editing Guide. The new and English one with moreover 320 pages is still in progress.

Excellent news, am downloading now!!

However, can I post a suggestion that you put the file size in your posts about the download please?  I'm passing 66Mb and still going, if I'd have known I would have waited to do this on a different machine.

[EDIT]  Its only now I've opened it that I've realised its the German version - I missed that in your post, sorry!

Thats a double-headbang! banghead.gif

Thanks.

Hi all

Big thangs for your feedback! I´m sure that you have to learn German Horrgakx. Just a joke tounge2.gif

My friends Memphisbelle and Dan are still busy with the translation of the forthcoming guide into English! So the English community will get its own Editing Guide!

We looking forward to release it very soon.

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Sorry, but this is a terrible post for beginners. I spent a solid 8 hours trying to find out how to quickly script and modify missions within the ArmA built in Editor. I looked here and throughout the WIKI. Everything is for very advanced users not beginners.

I then went to the WIKI and tried updating examples of scripting commands, but the WIKI forum removed everything!

Here are some rules for all the super advanced users who think this is a beginners sticky.

A beginner knows nothing and when trying to learn something new he needs to feel the data is relevant.

Giving a beginner a list of "functions" he can use just raises his frustration level exponentially as he has no reference to actually use all these cool functions.

Please reference my "BEGINNERS Scripting" post for how to write a beginners instruction manual on scripting.

"Frustrated"

fasad's post is excellent beginning material. I tried updating it some in the WIKI but the moderators removed all of it. Everything else is useless here. Beginners have zero point of reference so pointing them to OFP content does NOT work!!

Thanks fasad, excellent starting point.

biggrin_o.gif Yes I am a noob when it comes to editing ArmA, and I see

alot of excellent work made by the community available for download.It just seems that alot of the install instructions are

extremely sketchy on what files are to go where and how to initialize everything and I'm dealing with that problem right now.

I just dloaded a pack for a satellite view and I'm confronted with directories full of files such as *.sqf,*.oog,hpp sqs and a few others. What to do with these, do i just add them to the main mission directory or copy them to them related sub directories,

I know a few people I play with would love to know how to add user created content to missions, and could quite possibly return the favor by making their own, cause we all have ideas about what we want from this game.

Any links or help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated,

and sorry I know I'm not suppose to post questions here but I'm at my wits's end and for every 1 there's probably 100 others.

Thankyou for your time all...

Here's the thing about people trying to write up tutorials...the people writing the tutorials on scripting are intellegent at scripting..therefore when writing the tutorials..in their brains, the "simple" things they leave out of the turorials are so second nature to them ,they assume we should know..or just plain forget to mention them...all of these tutorials are however great for the intermidiate user...every tutorial ive seen starts with a simple "hello world" script then jumps right into more advanced things...I think thats where most people get lost...

P.S. when is Murrays english editing tutorial coming out?

Regards,

Iceman

Hi all

I am still buzy by layouting the English one. Big thanks to

Memphisbelle who has translated it. And big thanks to Dan

Bolean for editing the translation. He´s an US-Guy and

therefore I am very sure that the translation will be perfect

for everyone of you.

It is a little bit time consuming to layout it well. I don´t want

to release an unprofessional tutorial. Please have a look into

the German build SE-Guide 1.02 and you´ll see a good

structure and layout. You can download it from

www.armedassault.info among the tutorials part or from my signature.

The SE-Guide 1.02 is the first one I will release. It has 170

pages and a lot of impressive content. The Big one named

Deluxe Edition with 335 pages will follow a little bit later

because I need more time to layout it.

I am very sure that it will be THE GUIDE for everyone of us.

It includes all features of ArmA and its "official" Addons like

Queens Gambit, all patches, etc.!

I hope that you will find every class name you need or

every syntax solution are you searching for.

Naturally I often use it to build my own missions or something

like that. There is always one thing which you or I have to

looking for. That´s normal! We all humans. Therfore it´s great

to have such a Guide/Tutorial.

I am hope that I did a good job for the whole community and

not only for Germany. It´s a honour for me to carry on my

work for this game and its community now and in future.

Big thanks for your comprehension, patience and support!!!

It is the Guide of the community and not mine wink_o.gif

Best regards from Germany

Mr-Murray

www.mr-murray.de.vu

Hey Q Thanks wink_o.gif

Chapters 1 - 4 (84 pages) of the English short one are already final!

There are still 5 chapters with round about 86 pages.

It´s HALFTIME Soldiers wink_o.gif

The next step will be to layout the BIG one *Help*

Edit: 1 up to 5 are finalized!!! There are still 50 pages to layout until the release wink_o.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Ok guys

Here comes a short sitrep. I finalised the most of all chapters.

There are still the chapters 6 and 8 to layout. I am looking forward to release this English build in the next week.

Best regards,

Mr-Murray