Sign in to follow this  
Mindy

AI Smoke Grenades

I was playing Return to Eden and realized that an enemy AI soldier seems to throw smoke at the top of the mission. Just wondering if anyone knows the command for it, because I'd like to use it. Thanks in advance. And have fun shooting things.

This should work

Make sure he's got a smokeshell:

this addmagazine "smokeshell"

In the activation field of a trigger or WP type:

unitname Fire ["Throw", "SmokeShell"]

Too bad the AI won't throw smoke by default, for example when fleeing or when taking casualties. Nothing that can't be done by scripting, though.

I don't think the smoke actually has any effect on AI vision, it's only useful for MP. Not sure though confused.gif

I've seen different reports on AI and smoke; some say it hampers AI vision, some say it don't. Don't know myself. However, smoke is a really cool atmospheric effect on yer average OFP battlefield, and it'd be nice to see both infantry and vehicles use it more. Guess it would kill my framerate, though.

Thanks Gaswell, trying it now. And I've messed around with it quite a bit, smoke doesn't seem to hinder AI enemies much. Too bad. Later. biggrin.gif

Am I the only one that this doesn't work for?

I'm using SEB nam pack, but I don't thin it makes a difference.

Anyway, I put myself in a huey as the pilot with a trigger set to anybody present with the script intruder posted in it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">unitname fire ["throw", "smokegrenade"]<span id='postcolor'>

I made the throwing unit as an officer so I know he has smoke nades, but I gave him some anyway.

so I started the mission and flew over to him, no smokeshell. i thought I had taken too long getting to him and the smokeshell had burnt out, so I put myself and the trigger right next to him and started again, no smokeshell.

help?

IIRC, Suma said, AIs in OFP do not get hindered by smoke. the calculation that is needed to "block" AI's vision is too big task, so it is not implemented.

Instead of having a soldier throw a smoke grenade, if you want the smoke to start exactly in the place you want camcreate it :

You can create a game logic , name it by example HERE and make a trigger whith the condition you need to start the smoke , then in the On Activation line

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">IDONTSEE="SmokeShell" camcreate [(getpos HERE select 0), (getpos HERE select 1), (getpos HERE select 2)]<span id='postcolor'>

It will create a smoke grenade named IDONTSEE wink.gif in the position of the gamelogic named HERE

notice : instead of SmokeShell you can use SmokeShellRed

or SmokeShellGreen for colored smoke

They dont affect the AI (hope this will be fixed in OFP2) but are usefull for the atmosphere , and you can give more difficulty to your mission, as the smoke affect you wink.gif

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 18 May 2003,07wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Am I the only one that this doesn't work for?

I'm using SEB nam pack, but I don't thin it makes a difference.

Anyway, I put myself in a huey as the pilot with a trigger set to anybody present with the script intruder posted in it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">unitname fire ["throw", "smokegrenade"]<span id='postcolor'>

I made the throwing unit as an officer so I know he has smoke nades, but I gave him some anyway.

so I started the mission and flew over to him, no smokeshell.  i thought I had taken too long getting to him and the smokeshell had burnt out, so I put myself and the trigger right next to him and started again, no smokeshell.

help?<span id='postcolor'>

FSPilot, you need to use "SmokeShell" and not "SmokeGrenade" in your code