fasad

Rezina Island

G'day all,

After many months of work I've finished my island project, now called Rezina. In as few words as possible, I've tried to make a map that is large, well made, plausible, AI friendly and has reasonable performance. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks to Arne for making the town signs :)

=====================================

About :

Rezina is a fictitious island set in the Black Sea, circa the 1980s. Given the limited variety of objects used, it follows a basic European style, although it is not based on any real location or environment. Rezina is roughly 40% bigger than Nogova, and is split into 2 main islands.

I started this island (with no real intention of finishing) in ~July 2006. I wanted a new island on which to create a mission, and became frustrated with the lack of quality in other community made islands. Many are simplistic, especially when it comes to height maps. Those that are well made have a focus on looks rather than gameplay and tend to be too slow to use with more than a few units. AI performance is more often than not completely overlooked. I have aimed for a balance of size, quality production and good AI performance. Rezina is designed to be a plausible environment, and so does not contain wildly varied terrain such as snow and deserts.

Rezina was created under the working name P2006, originally with 3 main islands. The third was abandoned due to a lack of time and interest, and the release of ArmA. If anybody wishes to work on the third island (80~90 km^2), contact me and I will upload what I have done (~10mb). I hope to convert Rezina to ArmA if OFP objects (or exact geometric equivalents) can be used. If not, it would probably be easier to start a new island rather than rebuild everything. I doubt I will be starting any projects this big on my own again!

The town names have been "borrowed" from the Ukraine, while the name Rezina is taken from a city/region of Moldova.

Required Addons :

AGS_inds.pbo

"Third World Explosion Team Industrial Pack (3WX Edition) version 3.0"

(better known as Agent Smiths Industrial Pack version 3.0)

Download from OFP.info (FIXED LINK TO VERSION 3.0, was ???

AGS_port.pbo

"AGS Harbor Pack version 2.0"

Download from OFP.info (FIXED LINK TO VERSION 2.0, was 1.3)

Baracken.pbo

"Mapfact BARACKEN ADDON UPDATE" (version 1.5)

Download from OFP.info

JOF_Objects1.pbo

"Mapfact Addon:   JOF_Objects1.2"

Download from OFP.info

MAP_MilObj-Pack.pbo

"Mapfact Military Objects-Pack (MilObj-Pack) V1.0"

Download from OFP.info

MAP_OilAddon_3D.pbo

MAP_OilAddon_T.pbo

"Mapfact Oil-Addon v1.02"

Download from OFP.info

MAP_Shed.pbo

"Mapfact Sheds v1.0"

Download from OFP.info

CEEB_GT0.pbo

"CEEB GROUND TEXTURES 0"

(Included in this download)

CEEB_Signs.pbo

"Town Signs"

(Included in this download)

Rezina and the 2 CEEB addons (42.3mb) can be downloaded in one file from the following locations :

<s>FileFront.com</s> update 2007-04-22 - mirror seems to have been removed

<s>Team Yankee.net (thanks again Arne) </s> update 2007-11-19 - mirror seems to have been removed

OFP.info (thanks fellas!) - updated url 2009/03/16

(mirrors welcome)

ScreenShots

Map of Rezina

TN_CEEB_rezina_map_01.jpg

(click here for 2000x1048 361kb version of the above pic)

Panorama over Hirske

TN_CEEB_rezina_pano_01.jpg

(click here for 1600x371 96kb version of the above pic)

Farmlands around Staryi Krym.

TN_CEEB_rezina_02.jpg

(click here for 1024x500 99kb version of the above pic)

Panorama over a ruined castle in the western mountains.

TN_CEEB_rezina_pano_05.jpg

(click here for 1600x228 97kb version of the above pic)

Panorama over Perechyn and the bridge connecting the two islands.

TN_CEEB_rezina_pano_06.jpg

(click here for 1600x409 90kb version of the above pic)

More screenshots can be found on photobucket.com

PROBLEMS discovered since release

- forest ground texture misplacement in forest at BJ54

- forest ground texture missing from one square, northern part of forest at DB60

- individual bushes inside forest (undesirable for map aesthetics and performance reasons) BB54, IF59.

- low performance around Teplodar ~DB42.

- no stop sign at major T-intersection in Siversk JC65

• Like 1

Great two islands on one map, looks good to me. Downloading now smile_o.gif

Whoah! Nice dude ............ if it wasn't for Sahrani pictures you'd win hands down biggrin_o.gif

Nice work.

yea i think it does kinda, look like ireland

The heightmap was generated procedurally in Wilbur, so the coastline is essentially random, but I guess it does have the same basic parallelogrammatic shape as Ireland. Maybe I should have named the town of Derazhnia Dublinia instead? smile_o.gif

Sexy.

Looking forward to testing this out, in about five minutes, when the download completes. So far, looks well done. Thank you kindly, mate, wasn't expecting to see a (quality) island release for OFP now that ArmA is available.

ive got to say this is one of the best OFP islands ive seen, object placement, town/village plan, terrain realism, even the amount of addons needed is perfect; its all excellent, shame u didnt release this 6 months ago when i downloaded every resistance looking island i could find, looking for one that looks suprisingly like this!

well done on an excellent island, shame about the missing 3rd one though

bootneckofficer

Thank you for the kind comments. I actually started Rezina after failing to find any good islands ~6 months ago! I agree my timing was pretty poor, but I'm reasonably confident that an ArmA conversion will be possible. Unfortunately I need a new PC first!

I'm working on some missions to give you something to do on Rezina, but it's been about a year since I used the mission editor! The master plan is a big "dynamic" resistance style mission/campaign.

Okay, fixed the pics and webpage! The site is still uploading but will be working within 5 mins. Why do they choose the day I leave town to "migrate" ( = delete) my website??

Sweet idland(s). But (again) it's one of those without some larger wooded area(s). Too bad.

Played it for a short while, I'm very happy with it smile_o.gif it seems to have fulfilled the promise of it's half-finished preview of a few months back, and I recommended it to our small group at frugalsworld.com, commenting:

Quote[/b] ]Here can be got a nice new island for OFP. Most of the required addons are included in the download, but there's some more to get. I usually avoid recommending addons that require a number of other addons, but it seems to be a nice island.

Actually it's two islands connected by a bridge, and each island is complex enough to warrant being their own maps smile_o.gif

As complex and as pleasing as Novajev, the towns and villages are not quite as realistically structured, but they are more AI friendly and good for CQBs. On playing the towns seem to be every bit as real as Novajev's but the author wishes to push the AI friendly nature so I mention it here.

It's another candidate for a DAC+CTI overhaul but there's maybe twice the number of towns and villages as Novajev so some delicate balancing would need to be done. Not only is the logical units limit going to be vastly overreached but such a setup would bring even the most grunty PC to it's knees I'm sure, so maybe just the more major towns/villages with an eye for distribution will suffice. In any case the project is a few months away as I'm really busy nowadays and of course ArmA is imminent but a port will make me think again.

Anyway, check it out, it's very pleasing and realistic, and would make an eventual nice addition to our arsenal.

So yes, I'm considering taking it on as my next DAC+CTI project smile_o.gif

Will you be porting this over to ArmA? I think it would quickly become a favourite if it's one of the first islands to make an appearance smile_o.gif Myself I always prefer woodland maps to any other kind.

Hey Fasad, great island you have here! It has instantly become one of my favorites. Even the airfield looks pretty good, which is sadly one of the most neglected parts on most maps. Good job.

-Pilot

Lovely island this is.

Lots of towns some big some small all close togerther.

Great for coops no mor waiting for choppers to pick you up.

Great job.

rezinaerror.gif

Looking good. Good enough to bring me back from that bucket of bugs that is Armed Assault.

I've reinstalled the port addon, but still get this error.

Any ideas?

hmm, I guess that you're not using the correct version of AGS port addon.

To be honest, I'm was not 100% sure of the links in my original post, the links were created by the ofp.info staff when i posted the beta. I've had to fix the link (was 1.3)!! damn... but thanks for letting me know.. the link on OFP.info is wrong too! I assume that this has not been noticed as everyone already had the AGS addons..

Anyhow, the version of the port addon I use was downloaded as "AGS_Harbor_Pack_2.0.zip"

which contains a readme.htm titled "AGS Harbor Pack

version 2.0 (15-01-2006)"

the AGS_port.pbo should be 12,608,974 bytes dated 27th January 2006

I believe the correct version can be found

HERE

Also, thanks for the comments all!! I've spent the last 2 weeks as far away from my PC as possible (~3000km) so any missions are still a way off...

I can't say whether or not I'll convert it to ArmA until I get the new game! The new format shouldn't be much of a problem but I will need exact replacement objects to convert without major rebuilding. If they are not available I'd rather start from scratch.

DMarkwick, good luck with the CTI, I'm curious as to how it will performs since I really built the map for SP. I still enjoy your Nogajev mission : )

hmm, I guess that you're not using the correct version of AGS port addon.

I believe the correct version can be found

HERE

Fasad,

Thanks for that, I'll try it and report back.

Tanky -Paul-