Sign in to follow this  
Jmaster33

Is there no fleeing?

One thing I've noticed is that the AI do not seem to flee in any situation. I placed a squad down, and started mowing them down (slowly) one by one with an M1A1 and all they did was lie there and get shot. They didn't even attempt to get to cover.

Another test I did was pit one squad against ten enemy squads, the one squad actually advanced and tried to fight and were killed in a matter of seconds.

And to top it off, I did a final test. I placed a single injured soldier, with no ammo on a hill. And then I made about twenty squads worth of enemy soldiers come towards him, he noticed them straight away but he just stood there staring at them and went prone. Eventually, one of the enemy soldiers noticed him and shot him.

Seriously, do the AI not retreat or what?

though AI cannot think creatively, this is somewhat disturbing indeed. maybe a AI mode (if low on ammo / health) should scan for enemies/check for already known enemies, and try to go to areas without any reported hostilles... that shouln't be too hard.

Tbh, I feel the AI is a little too unreponsive atm to things happening next to them

Ive engaged a squad of AI, and managed to shoot 2 before the rest even realized I was there

And I was using a M4, so it wasnt like I was being stealthy

In OFP the AI only fled when their group suffered alot of casualties. However i havent noticed this in ArmA (yet), they also seemed to changed something about it, in the OFP config.bin you could find this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">courage[]={0.2,0.35,0.55,0.65,0.7,0.8,0.9};

However, in ArmA it looks like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">courage[] = {0,0,1,1};

They also moved it in the CfgAISkill class (all things seem to have 4 different numbers there, i havent figured out yet what ever number does)

Maybe the four settings of AI available in the options menu?

Theres only veteran and cadet, but too be honest, i havent been expirmenting with the configs alot, playing is much more fun now tounge2.gif

Theres only veteran and cadet, but too be honest, i havent been expirmenting with the configs alot, playing is much more fun now tounge2.gif

Guess they have narrowed it down. GC version had "Novice", "Normal", "Expert" and "Custom".

Guess they have narrowed it down. GC version had "Novice", "Normal", "Expert" and "Custom".

That might explain why there are only 2 different values, maybe only 2 of them work, maybe ill test it later, maybe i wont, right now i have to got to bed tounge2.gif

I still find the 0 and 1 settings a bit weird though, is it on or off? When a unit in OFP had 0 courage it always fled IIRC huh.gif

Allowfleeing 1 worked on squad level only afaik, if the squad took many casualties the few survivor(s) would flee, combined with waypoints they would retreat and after a small period of time atack again, i dont think injury afected their "courage" level, only the amount of casualties would.

I would like to see more a.i. testing combined with new comands to see what will be achieved, check the comref.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_ArmA

There is much to explore and learn, dont expect everything just by placing a bunch of units in the editor only smile_o.gif .

There are 4 values. The 4th one is custom where you can set the skill level to whatever you want. Like in the editor.