Sign in to follow this  
bounceback

Anti-Cheat in ArmA

Hi all,

I am very happy to finally see a good game from BIS again after going through so much crap with other developers/publishers like EA with Battlefield 2.

Anyway, I have a very big concern about ArmA: I heard that there will be some kind of content check/pure mode which will protect the game to some extent. Tho, as we all know, this type of protection will only prevent soft-cheating like editing game data/resource files. Real hardcore cheating like hacking the game's code dynamically in RAM will not be detected by such "static" routines.

As I already see cheaters/hackers (e.g. TKC) preparing for ArmA, I can only shout out the following: Please BIS, integrate a good anti-cheat and don't let the cheaters do the same shit to us again (like in OFP)!

The AC needs to be an independent part being able to update on-the-fly, game patches for cheat detections (like in OFP) are no real solution.

And please, don't use that Punkbuster crap - many ppl have problems with it, and e.g. I don't want to play as an admin but PB forces me to, also it's completely uneffective and its policy/EULA is a joke. - There has to be some other better solution.

Personally I don't feel very well buying a multiplayer game that has no anti-cheat these days and I think many ppl feel the same, BUT I am sure BIS will get their stuff together and not leave us alone.

Just a fair warning as to how people will respond to you. They will say:

1. The anticheat in place is sufficient

2. Just play with people you trust

Personally I'm middle of the road between agreeing with you and agreeing with the people that use the above 2 lines.

1. I dont think this can be called anti-cheat.

2. This is no solution to the problem, and do you play without enemies?

all anticheats will be hacked

the better solution is auto-screen utility, which would send pictures to server with IP, ID, nick logs

Arma is too open ended and mod friendly to be cheat proof... PW locked servers are the best solution. Ban lists can be effective too,

a joint effort betwean server admins could help somewhat..

Adversarial pub games problably wont last long though.

In all the games i have played online hand on heart i have never cheated. I just don't see what players get out of it. I hope AA has alot of the same players OFP did... it was a good little community and because of this, i remember a few players who thought that they were GODS! only to be shamed by getting caught out cheating. I just think if you like a game then why cheat, its your cheating that makes severs close down and players get bored of the game. OFP lost alot of players because of cheats. I was in a couple of clans that folded because they saw no point in the game anymore. Cheats not only ruin it for others, they eventually ruin it for themselves.

Searching for cheat leads to this thread where my answer applies here, and applies to any cheat questions.