Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

In Perimeter Script/Death Script. Errors & 2 Quest

My First Script: A unit walks within 100 meters of an object. Once he is in the perimeter (100m) of that object, a simple text warning would appear, and continue to appear until the unit is gone from the area. However, if that unit were to die, his brand new toy (his chopper) would explode biggrin_o.gif

The script:

Quote[/b] ]_Object = _this select 0

_CenterObject = _this select 1

_radius = _this select 2

_freq = _this select 3

_script = _this select 4

_vektor = _this select 5

_life = _this select 6

_Killchopper = this select 7

setdammage 1.0 = _die

#Update

~_freq

? (_Object Distance _CenterObject) <= _radius : goto "InZone"

goto "Update"

#InZone

_vektor exec _script

? (_life == "LOOP") : goto "Update"

! (alive _Object) : goto "KillChopper"

; _script is only a text propt (print.sqs) that says "In Zone!"

#KillChopper

_Killchopper _die

exit

; Init field:

; [Player, CenterObject, 100, 1, "print.sqs", ["In Zone!"], "LOOP", DeadChopper] exec "inzone.sqs"

Questions:

1. Once the unit is within 100m of the center object, the warning will go off, however it will continue to go off even if the unit is dead inside the parimeter. How do I fix this?

2. The chopper doesn't explode when "_Object" is dead, why?

Quote[/b] ]1. Once the unit is within 100m of the center object, the warning will go off, however it will continue to go off even if the unit is dead inside the parimeter. How do I fix this?

Because :

Quote[/b] ]? (_life == "LOOP") : goto "Update"

is tested before :

Quote[/b] ]! (alive _Object) : goto "KillChopper"

If _life == "loop", the alive condition is never reached by the script. Moreover, !(alive _object) isn't a condition if you don't write the question mark at the beginning of the line.

You should write :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#InZone

_vektor exec _script

? !(alive _Object) : goto "KillChopper"

? (_life == "LOOP") : goto "Update"

Quote[/b] ]2. The chopper doesn't explode when "_Object" is dead, why?

Same reasons, plus

Quote[/b] ]setdammage 1.0 = _die

doesn't work.

Write :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#KillChopper

_Killchopper setdammage 1

instead.

You can have macro-like commands in scripts with call. Like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_kill = {_this setdammage 1.0;}

chop call _kill

or

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_hypotenuse = {sqrt((_this select 0)^2 + (_this select 1)^2)}

_a = 3

_b = 4

_c = [_a, _b] call _hypotenuse

hint format ["c=%1", _c]

Wow thanks guys. I'll do a test on this tonight. (New mission scripter, thanks for your patience too).

But what metal said was quite interesting. I haven't made it to that advanced type scripting yet; but what is:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_hypotenuse = {sqrt((_this select 0)^2 + (_this select 1)^2)}

_a = 3

_b = 4

_c = [_a, _b] call _hypotenuse

hint format ["c=%1", _c]

That looks interesting.

Anyways, I'll give this script I'm working on - a little test later today.

Thanks