Sign in to follow this  
thesun

Problem with a cannon

I've got a truck using Seb. Mullers Zu 23 and i want to have the cannon facing backwards on the truck. The problem is, that if i rotate model of the gun in all LODs and OtocHlaven and OtocVez selections in memory LOD then the cannon has mirrored all axes and so instead of turning left it turns right etc. So is there a way how to fix this? I tried to create new axes but it didn't work. help.gif

In the side on view, rotate the axis points 180 deg. That should reverse the direction.

I'm not sure if i'm getting it right..could you please take a screen with description ?

Screenshots not going to show much Sun.

In the O2 side view of your model, highlight the 2 points of the vertical axis of the turret, usually "OsaVeze" I think.

Now select the rotate button from the menu bar and enter 180

It will look like they didn't move of course, but they have swapped locations. Rotation is now the opposite of what it was.

oh .... and the facing backwards thing ..... I never got that to work properly on my Perry frigates, I suspect the OFP engine can't really handle the concept properly.

Gnat @ Oct. 28 2006,01:49)]Screenshots not going to show much Sun.

In the O2 side view of your model, highlight the 2 points of the vertical axis of the turret, usually "OsaVeze" I think.

Now select the rotate button from the menu bar and enter 180

It will look like they didn't move of course, but they have swapped locations. Rotation is now the opposite of what it was.

so you're basically rotating an axis.. on its axis ?

if so its the same thing as rotating a vertex on itself... i dont really see how that would change anything in the model... its not like they have some kind of "facing" property ?

have you actually tried this ? because in case you havent, i would never believe it would work for me to actually try it, but if you have tried it and this is actually working, then this has got to be the weirdest thing ever and i'll be very interested to try and see for myself...

unless of course i got you all wrong... but you're talking about rotating the vertical axis on its own axis, right ? or do you mean swaping both vertex to each other's location (if that makes sence)... in which case the final result would be exactly the same since they are both part of the same selection and are therefore absolutely identical... (ie they dont have different names)

@ the sun : one thing you could try though is change the turret Y axis in the config and swapping the -360 value with the 360 value and vice versa

meaning :

minTurn=360;

maxTurn=-360;

instead of

minTurn=-360;

maxTurn=360;

well even i dont really believe in it (changing the code) but its worth a shot...

I have *very* little knowledge of oxygen, but that's not going to stop me : )

Gnat's logic makes sense.

A rotational axis does need to have a direction - for example, rotating a gun clockwise is meaningless whereas rotating a gun clockwise as viewed from above has meaning.

I guess that your gun's rotation axis is upside down, so that when you want to rotate clockwise as seen from above, you are actually rotating clockwise as seen from below. ie, left = right

I guess that your gun's rotation axis is upside down, so that when you want to rotate clockwise as seen from above, you are actually rotating clockwise as seen from below. ie, left = right

yeah but in a p3d there is no way to tell that an axis is upside down...

you can create your own turret axis from scratch if you want, but how do you say the up side of the axis is actually the one you put at the bottom ? they both share the same selection, they dont have individual names (like up part of the axis and down part of the axis) so it doesnt make any sense unless they do have some sort of direction (and by direction i meant facing up or down) - which they dont... at least not in o2 light

- they do have a direction in O2

- you can't really tell by looking at them

- you have to test them in-game to prove which way

- I haven't found a way when creating an axis from scatch to a pre-set direction, its a bit hit or miss.

- if it is the wrong way, you just flip them. simple.

Gnat @ Nov. 02 2006,16:40)]- they do have a direction in O2

so you can actually differentiate a vertex that has been flipped from one that hasnt been flipped ?

i understand the concept of not being able to see it when you look at them, but if i remember correctly from looking at the p3d file description, you only get coordinates for vertex and then the selection they belong to as well as what faces they're attached to (plus all the vertex properties you can access via vertex property dialog)... but i dont recall seeing anything that would make a difference within the p3d itself if you flip an axis or not.

dont get me wrong i'm not trying to patronize anyone, just trying to understand what could make it different in the p3d file if you flip it or not ?

I doubt vertices would have vectors, since everything I've seen in O2 uses 2 rather than one to define a vector/axis. Using two vertices you'd only need 1 bit to define the direction of the axis, or just use the first vertex encountered in the p3d as the origin?

Maybe the order in which verticies are saved may not be the same every time?

isn't there some kind of limitation in the way that every gun has to be placed in a special direction in o2?

and no, turning an axis won't make a point.

I have by accident seen 1 point be enough to define an axis .... can't remember how I did it, but it did work. As a precaution I redefined it as normal 2 points ...... just in case OFP decided to crash later.

not sure what you meant by your previous post... indeed a single vertex for axis works because by default all axis are vertical ( or is it horizontal i cant remember), so you only need two for any other orientation... but that has nothing to do with "reversing" an axis

maybe you misunderstood TeRpEnTiN, i think he meant "turning an axis wont make it work"

anyway i've tried doing what you said, turning and axis by 180 degree to swap both vertex. there was absolutely no difference ingame... could you post a model that you tested where it actually works (fliping the axis to reverse left and right)so we could take a look ? (like a bis tank or something)

cheers

Fab

PS : @TheSun : swaping the min and max values in the config like i suggested just seems to lock the gun (as it makes the current direction always out of minturn-maxturn range) so you can forget about that...