Sign in to follow this  
C4P741N

New Version of O2

I am just curious if there are any plans for a new and hopefully full english translation of O2 after the release of ArmA. If this has already been stated for or against then I've missed it. O2 for me has always been an absolute bitch of a program, not installing, CTDs, czech selection names, etc. I am stunned the BIS was actually able to finish OFP with such a finicky bitch. I am well aware of the fact and can't believe there are hundreds of people happily modding away with it but I spent all day piecing together a model in milkshape, outputting it in 3ds format, go to load it in O2 and I get the usual result of a CTD with nothing but a 'this program encountered an error and must close' mad_o.gif . These are not the only circumstances under which I've had trouble but it's the one that's pissed me off most recently. I have attempted working with O2 on no less than 20 seperate occasions all ending very rapidly with the same result. Sorry now that I've had my rant you can go back to your lives, if your one of the few people who wasted thier time by reading all of this. banghead.gif

Cap.

I didn't swear NEARLY enough in this post.

I am just curious if there are any plans for a new and hopefully full english translation of O2 after the release of ArmA. If this has already been stated for or against then I've missed it. O2 for me has always been an absolute bitch of a program, not installing, CTDs, czech selection names, etc. I am stunned the BIS was actually able to finish OFP with such a finicky bitch. I am well aware of the fact and can't believe there are hundreds of people happily modding away with it but I spent all day piecing together a model in milkshape, outputting it in 3ds format, go to load it in O2 and I get the usual result of a CTD with nothing but a 'this program encountered an error and must close'

O2 has never caused me any weird problems other then those I created myself (by incorrect usage of the program), and a crash or two due to textures. BIS was quite able to use it to make OFP with "czech selection names" because back then 99% of BIS consisted of people from the Czech Republic. It's always easier to work in your native language then in a foreign language, even when that language is as wide-spread as English.

I switched to 3DS MAX due to it having much more functions, and being easier to make models and map them. However, I also like O2 because it is so easy, and everyone can use it with a little practice thumbs-up.gif

Seems to me either your model contains some parts which O2 has problems with, or the fileheader of the .3ds is messed up.

You mention that hundreds of people happily use O2, and do you think they would if they had errors all the time? The problem lies not with BIS, but with you. Somewhere along the line of installing O2, configuring it, or modelling/importing, you made a mistake that causes these problems you are having. Try to export the model with another tool instead of Milkshape (if any other program can read the Milkshape native format that is).

If that doesn't help, then maybe there is something wrong with your mesh (some weird shapes have given me problems in the past when exporting from MAX to O2).

dont blame oË› instantly if you have problems importing meshes.

oxygen is a very basic tool and specially tailored for ofp.

avoid the following when you import meshes in 3ds format into oxygen

-1,2,5 vertex-polygons (such either need to be removed or triangulated)

- bones (ofp has its own skeletal system)

-dont import 3ds models with multiple textures per lod

this will cause uv data loss in oxygen.

you need to split the model by textures and import them seperately

then merge them together in oxygen

also maybe try other tools to convert

eg like p2ms/lithunwrap (o2>3ds)

or anim8tor (3ds/ob>o2)

work fine for me

Yep, my appologies, I have had zero experience with any 3d modelling apps and when I said the I pieced together a model then that is litterally what I did, ripped a model from 'another game', pieced it together, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, in other words I have no idea what I'm doing. My intention was not to blame BIS as OFP has been like a 5 year coke addiction for me (only cheaper). I'm usually really good at picking up new PC based skills but O2 has always been a bit of a mystery to me (read bitch), I've never even successfuly completed the 'how to make a crate tutorials'. This thread was created in the heat of blind... blind fury and can be locked/deleted or left here for people to flame me if so wished.

Alternatively if someone could attempt to load this file into a correctly installed and functional version of O2 and tell me where I went wrong and why I suck ass then that would help. it's not a model I think many OFP purist would be interested in though

Hunter Gear.rar

edit: sorry about the crap host, though it's only like 10kb

hm the file seems down

try rapid share id take a look.

i wonder why some people think MAX or Maya are easier to work with than oxygen....

oxygen is pretty basic compared to protools...

happy learning...

Well, there are several features in 3ds Max that are pretty useful when building models, such as extrude, cut along a line, flatten an edge etc. They could really be useful in o2, as you have to create every vertex by hand there. But otherwise o2 is great!

To get back on topic, BIS are working with an overworked version of o2, which supports the new techniques they are using. If the support doesn't fail, we will (hopefully) get a light version again of the new tool.

I have tried your file, and I get a "No objects in 3DS file." error, which means either the fileheader is busted (try exporting again, maybe chance some settings if there are any), or something is wrong with the model.

I don't see how it could be something related to textures or their mapping in this case.

Now trying to import it into 3DS MAX...

Edit: I've exported it in MAX to .3ds, and imported into .p3d

I'm uploading a zip file with the .max, .3ds and .p3d files for you, my host is down, but I'll upload as soon as possible. I guess Milkshape was somehow the problem... confused_o.gif

If you need it desperatly, send me a PM with your e-mail address in it. It's only a 53kb zip.

[Here it is]

Also, try a program called Anim8tor (or something similarly named), import your .3DS file, Then go to Options > Debug > Dummy K3DS Data. Then, simply re-export to a different 3DS (i.e. don't overwrite the original, just incase, and then import the newer 3DS into O2 and it should work fine. If it doesn't, you've nerfed the installation.

As far as your rant about O2 is concerned, just remember BIS used a "Full" version of O2, which as I understand it from previous posts on the subject, was entirely Czech, and had a lot more features than the "Lite" version we got and I imagine wasn't such a "finnicky bitch".

Another method you could try to solve your importation woes is to try modelling in O2 itself, its fairly easy - must be if I can do it. wink_o.gif

Hi everyone, by the way, check this page: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Oxygen_2

But the only thing that comes to my mind is WHEN?! Can't wait for it, since really am hoping that new Oxygen would be indeed an improvement over Oxy light. Has anybody from Bis spoken on this matter? (Because for me release of Oxy 2 is as desirable as release of Arma))))

Last I heard the tool releases were slated for just after the 505 release in Feb 07.

No guarentees on this tho, might be sooner, might be later (more likely)