Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

The Best of Tactical Gaming: Infiltration

I've written a followup article to my Tactical Gaming Done Right piece, this one being focused on Infiltration, a superb mod that I was unaware of prior to writing the previous article.

pistols.gifYou can find the new article here.

It's chock-full of screens and videos illustrating many of the fantastic features present in the mod. Many of these features will hopefully are either already in Armed Assault or will find their way into future BIS games, if we're lucky.

Excellent article,

I don't play Infiltration very often anymore, but i always launch it sometime, certainly the best free mod i ever played, and your article just tell why smile_o.gif

Excellent... about 2/3 read so far and well, I'm more than a tad excited. Graphics are what they are but I'd be very interested to try this, unfortinetly I don't have UT... sad_o.gif Guess it's more than cheap nowadays, but the problem might be finding it! crazy_o.gif

Epic is supposed to release "unreal anthology" sometime in the incoming autumn, supposed to be the collection of all their unreal game, and UT should be bundled in there.

UT standalone should be very cheap nowadays, and the total conversion Infiltration 2.9 makes totally worthy to buy this old UT, i can't count how many hours of my nights i spent in MP before getting seriously into OFP modding.

Guest Ti0n3r

A very good read. That's all I have to say smile_o.gif

Indeed, very well put together. I never played infiltration since im not into UT but many details and feature implementation sound good. These guys have put alot of atention to the gameplay it seems.

One thing i might have missed but it seems the iron sights never come close enough for long distance acurate aim? Even when he pulls it closer the rifle seems too far from the eye/face, it looks like he lines the eye and sights with the arms streched forward keeping the stock away from the shoulder. If you that with a G3 your going to hurt yourself wink_o.gif .

The camera also makes it feel like the stock is positioned against the players chest, i dont like it. Sounds like a good system but not for OPF.

edit:

The sniper rifle scopes seem very weird, seeing that tiny circle moving inside a huge black background also makes it look like aiming with the scope away from the eye, cant discribe what that huge black background even looks like, i noticed there is no ballistics code, no bullet drop and no need to lead moving targets. I definetly wouldnt want that in OPF.

Just read the article, it's really great. I'm hoping I can get UT to try the game.

Are there still a lot of people who play Infiltration online?

Just read the article, it's really great. I'm hoping I can get UT to try the game.

Are there still a lot of people who play Infiltration online?

Well, there will be, considering I am reinstalling UT and downloading the mod from QeuePlanet.com (so might take a while) whistle.gif

On [this page] most of the mutators mentioned in the article can be found (requires being registered with BeyondUnreal forums though)

Edit: I tried the very first version of Infiltration ever to come out, but it was so buggy that I preferred StrikeForce and TacticalOps back then. Infiltration seems to be better then those two mods in it's latest build though...

great article dyslexi, i can't imagine how much time it took to prepare...

i think its pretty obvious that INF provides a great example of the types of features BIS should be working on implementing in Arma/Game2, but what i'm still curious about is how the game engine used affects what types of features can be implemented and how much work it takes to implement them.  also, i am curious to know why it is possible for mod teams to implement such features into games like UT or HL but not into OFP; is BIS not giving the modders all the power they could/should have? these are questions i've been asking for a long time, and i am still without answers; maybe you (dyslexi) can use your new-found stardom to get a proper response from BIS...

Another very good article dyskexi. Iniltration sounds great in its features, but looks and appears to play like Counter Strike.

I was wondering the same as you whilst reading it pablo.

From what i can gather though it is to what extent people can mod things. They dont have the code to change certain aspects, and even if they did i dont know if they could override that with the default code because i would presume you would need to insert it inside a directory, rather than just PBOing it and putting it in a mod folder.

On the other hand however, look at DXDLL - that appears to change flashpoint code to add stuff in.

So maybe it is possible?

Actually, on the player point of view, Infiltration play more realistically than OFP when it comes to short range engagement and urban zones, it has nothing in the gameplay and physics department in common with counter strike.

Quote[/b] ]From what i can gather though it is to what extent people can mod things. They dont have the code to change certain aspects, and even if they did i dont know if they could override that with the default code because i would presume you would need to insert it inside a directory, rather than just PBOing it and putting it in a mod folder.

In unreal engine modding, it is possible to modify the physics (lots of mods have their own physics) but it requires some genius coders for this, while in the ofp modding it is not possible to modify that part of the engine.

That's why , when you play Infiltration, you will find nothing from the original UT. The same with the other major (in my views) UT total conversion ThieveryUT that use the same physics and gameplay as the retail game Thief 1 and Thief 2.

also, i am curious to know why it is possible for mod teams to implement such features into games like UT or HL but not into OFP; is BIS not giving the modders all the power they could/should have?

these are questions i've been asking for a long time, and i am still without answers

Not to offend anyone, but most of the coders that work with the Unreal engine are better coders then most OFP community members. That is mainly because of two things:

-BIS doesn't allow it's engine to be altered in any way;

-Because UT modders can alter parts of the engine, or add to it, they learn much more about how the engine is built, and can simply do more. Experience + knowledge = constant improvement, where as OFP has just about reached it's limit scriptingwise (and I don't even count people that don't care about framerate, just as long as they can stuff their addons full of scripts).

If only half of what can be done in the Unreal engine were possible in the OFP engine, OFP would still be more popular then it is today.

Aren't we all... whistle.gif

Excellent article! Reading it kept me up till 0500hrs but it´s been worth it.

I got a hold of Unreal Tournament, but I'm kinda confused what files I need to play, on top of that I can't find a working download link for Infiltration 2.9. Somebody think they could help me out?

Use the Fileplanet link, it is the only one that worked for me.

After that, download the Infiltration Mod Team - Weapon Pack v1.5.1 and the Infiltration 2.9 Bonus Pack. They contain alot of new weapons and some of the best mutators + new maps.

got myself finally time to read that article and i'm really impressed , it fully describe what i got on mind smile_o.gif about UT:INF for years

keep up great work and let's hope more to come smile_o.gif

I got a hold of Unreal Tournament, but I'm kinda confused what files I need to play, on top of that I can't find a working download link for Infiltration 2.9.  Somebody think they could help me out?

dslyecxi posted a link to an all-in-one download he's hosting for Infiltration; it contains all the files you need to play (aside from UT and the latest patch for it).

i'd post the link itself but it was in the hostile intent forums, which are down at the moment. here's the link to the forums:

http://www.hostileintent.org/site/forums

once in there go to the "Ideas and Suggestions" sub-forum and look for a thread with the same name as this one (or just do a search for the thread). then look for a post by dslyecxi around the second page (its a short thread so it wont be hard).

as for the game itself, it does have all the realistic additions, but for some reason it felt more like CS/AA than OFP/HI. i think it may have been that i was playing with hardcore-DM people (who seem to be the only people who play INF anymore). so in short, i soon got tired of the mod.

Quote[/b] ]I got a hold of Unreal Tournament, but I'm kinda confused what files I need to play, on top of that I can't find a working download link for Infiltration 2.9. Somebody think they could help me out?

Once you got an UT , apply the 436 patch "nodelta", you can get the patch here :

http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewor....lta.exe

Your UT must be in version 436 before installing Inf 2.9

While the main Infiltration website is down due to some maintenance problem, their ftp is always available if you have problems with fileplanet

On their ftp you need in that order :

-For every original Inf2.9 maps and the total conversion itsefl :

INF29setup_full.exe

-An additional and official mappack both the Inf2.9 and an external team worked on , iraq desert storm oriented, to avoid having to download billions of files from server if one of those maps is in the rotation :

TBT_DesertStorm.exe

-Once those downloaded and installed, get the official bonus pack for more weapons and maps (needed anyways online) :

INF29BonusPack_setup_full.exe

For each of those files you can get a manual install version in .zip format, but if you are very new to UT and its files system, those executable do everything for you easily.

-Now the unofficial weapon pack adding lots of very high quality additional weapons and equipment (needed online) :

http://infmodteam.com/index.php?page=project&id=36

(manual install, so read the readme to get sure you install it correctly)

After that, i recommend you to have a look in the Inf2.9 forums, especially this thread for Inf additional mutators (lots of them are used on servers).

But if you don't install those mutators, you will download them when you join a server anyways.

Before joining a server it is very recommended to try the maps offline with the bots, most of them are big (and sometime with very complex geometry) and have enough places and buildings to get you lost if you don't know where to go.

Bots are not the smartest ones compared to OFP ones, but they are enough to get you some fun in offline games.

Have fun

Doesnt it work on UT2004? sad_o.gif

No, otherwise we would all be playing it on UT2004.... sad_o.gif

nice features and yet so arcadish looking. I think Iwill keep playing OFP.

STGN

After an unfortunate down time due to maintenance the main Infiltration website is back.

So after reading dslyecxi's article, if you want to see more informations about what it is all about, and even read the online manual to get started, you can do it again :

http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

Alas, my rig is too new for good old UT and Infiltration.

I've two BFG GeForce 9800GTs in SLI, and I get nothing but jerky or accelerated movement, depending on the video setting (OpenGL, etc.). (I may have wasted money on Rainbow Six 3: Gold Raven Shield and Athena Sword, same jerky performance!!! )  pistols.gif

I'll try it on the wife's rig.  crazy_o.gif