Sign in to follow this  
DanAK47

Shadows and SetObjectTexture

Have a model that uses hiddenSelections to apply different texture schemes. Works fine, but the model has no shadows. I have narrowed the problem down to the hiddenSelections.

LOD has less than 500 polys and all others have lodnoshadow = 1 in properties.

Some selections are hidden in hiddenSelections. I apply textures to them using setObjectTexture. The textures appear on the model. No shadow appears.

I rename the selections in the model so they are no longer hidden. Naturally, they now have the wrong textures on them, but the selections cast a shadow.

I have tried applying random and different textures to the selections using setObjectTexture. No textures will cast a shadow.

Why is this happening? Is there any way to get around this?

try lowering the poly count on the lod thats supposed to draw the shadow under 400 polys

it works for me here with that count

setobjecttexture shadows shoudl work then aswell

No difference.

I can make it work simply by deleting the named selections (not the polys themselves - just the selection name) or removing them from hiddenSelections.

I'm pretty stumped right now. CAn't see why the shadows would not appear if the textures appear on the model. Guessing it has something to do with the mipmaps and how the texture is loaded into memory.

The textures are preloaded so they aren't blurry when applied to the model. Have tried without preloading, and there is still no shadow.

I think it's an engine limitation, but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, no weapon+mortar cast a shadow, maybe it's a similar feature.