Sign in to follow this  
deanosbeano

Destructable buildings/walls/etc

Hello All.

Whilst waiting for arma, i saw alot about destructable buildings bridges,etc.thought i would give it some time, i have decided to work on an individual brick and create 4 or 5 types. each with its own different , destruction and death animation, i hope to build buildings ( starting with a wall first to keep it simple.

anyway its not big thing , but i thought i would post here for feed back and or ideas as what posibilities it has, if any ? smile_o.gif. heres a couple of vids of what i have been upto so far. must stress W.I.P

and has only 10 hours work in it so far.

we all fall down

some of us fall down

part of me falls off very early w.i.p

bike is in this vid for scale.

wow bricks could be less cartoony but apart from that it looks very promising

you mean the texture ?

i hope to replace this one later , with a more natural one and also damaged, also need to make that impact initial blow with lots of little pieces instead of that one.

you think this is better texture ?bricktext1xr.jpg

if your not using explorer .i.e , you will have to wait for approximately 1 minute until they cache, especially if using firefox. with the no scripts tool running.

I'm guessing you must be using insane amount of faces here. Fancy but completely useless. huh.gif

Well, provided it still allows ofp to run smoothly, I think this could be an interesting addon. Could you run over (or through) a wall like this in an armored vehicle?

BreakerOut

I'm guessing you must be using insane amount of faces here. Fancy but completely useless. huh.gif

please explain smile_o.gif.

i am not totally expert on addon making, but i assume you have spotted some problem.because i am using single brick.and it will need roughly 40-80 of these brick in a building.you see the whole building does not have to be destructable, just the strategic piece. I.E a solid wall with a shape missing.in which are setpos these brick.

also on single player you can run many more, a full house.

i apreciate your comments, but alas i cannot make progress, with such statements.if i understand faces = 6 per brick x wall = 600.

i have very powerful pc, so maybe i am not seeing how it will react on normal pc ?

ty in advance smile_o.gif.

@ breaker44, yes you can it will leave behind (so far) the shape of object that has passed thru. but i intend in final wall to make some of the brick solid armour, so for instance ,if you went on angle right of vehicle will go thru ,until a armoured brick is met and you will be stopped and dammage slightly.

You have to think about it on a large scale. You say this method would add 600 faces per building, so that means like 6k more polys if you want to use it for all houses in a small viliage, not to mention town or city-sized settlements (well, ok, not every house has to be destructible...). In addition to that, there's a problem with distance LODs reflecting actual building damage.

I don't want to sound very sceptical, as a matter of fact I appreciate your effort. But with ARMA around the corner (vide desctructible bridge stuff), I think we're going into a dead end here. wink_o.gif

hey no problem, be as sceptical as ya like . just bring the details.

Not 600 faces per building , i think 40 of these bricks at 6 faces each 240 ?.i understand more now what your saying. already you have convinced me to work on another way. i will make instead a model which is now of 25 bricks and therefore less faces Lods geometry , eventhandlers etc smile_o.gif.i will release that sing brick for singleplayers to mess with. heres the last video at settacctime .03 with a wall 29H X 50L. work that faces out lol. i tried it with . 70 x 70 . Project Cancelled, will be back soon with Another brick Wall . ty for comments.remember this was a small project to forget about arma, pls dont mention it and remind me lol. now i will be trying to find info again wink_o.gif.

The Wall.

pls let it cache this is a little larger than rest at 12 meg. sry.

edit far to many smileys .gif

this is my first experience caught live to share with all, too much O2 x new idea + world cup on tv = \/

revengeofthewall9hn.jpg

lmao i know i said a bigger wall piece but come on Deanos smile_o.gif.

goodnight.gif

hmm- everytime i notice the same mistakes when u guys

make brickwalls. huh.gif

Check out these two picks and how i textured the bricks.

Usually u see full bricks raging out of the walls - not somewhere between they break.

bricks01.jpg

bricks02.jpg

The trick is to make the bricks from after the texture,

not just put the texture onto some former made bricks.

~S~ CD

nice clean bricks m8, dont panic ,that was just a mess around. smile_o.gif

anyway, watch the video and you will see that i have done , the same as you.but forr the bigger bick wall i will be doing this.(when i size it correct). so no need for presice clean edges ,i need jagged looking ones wink_o.gif

boem.jpg

to be honest yours looks to clean to ,destroy would be a shame

Quote[/b] ]nice clean bricks m8, dont panic ,that was just a mess around.

anyway, watch the video and you will see that i have done , the same as you.but forr the bigger bick wall i will be doing this.(when i size it correct). so no need for presice clean edges ,i need jagged looking ones

Well, there's the one difference between yours and mine:

mine is a wall under construction while yours is a wall in destruction   biggrin_o.gif

That's why there are clean full ones on mine.

However i did just want to point on this, since lot of people

tend to forget on that tiny little detail, and i just noticed it

in your example. It's not a big deal, but simetimes it get forgotten and afterwards it can be a pain in the a* - well in the southern end of a north looking kangaruh tounge2.gif to fix it

on a more complex constructions.

btw - i did watch the video before my post already and i forgot to reply on that: to me it looks atm way too cartoonish'

Off course it's a start, but to make it worth eating resources

and performance it will have to be a little bit more.  smile_o.gif

~S~ CD

Lol good description of the diffference.

i understand about the wall being half done with breaks at the end smile_o.gif.if you have any spare MLod, let me know, i will have some off you.to save time.

also dont worry about cartoon thing i am on it.;)

newbrickwall7im.jpg

btw you think its possible to hide a ladder in here to climb over the wall wink_o.gif

quick update , made bigger sections now, less lag as advised by others, ty. first model in and working now to work on other random shapes.Heres a vid With way ott number to test fps.strong enough to halt a bmp but enough give for effect,pls forgive globalchat,i am just gathering wether section has destroyed or simply been hit.

extreme wip.lol any comments accepted.

New wall

Any way you do it- I look forward to driving my Abrams right thru the wall of some pub on Everon...

BreakerOut

latest stage ,propper wall built with window and hole place, new effect on destruction.

brief of video. 2000 objects on des island plus 120 walls. FPS test and destruction test Note ECP used for efffect. law used to show aurrounding walls do not collapse when one wall collapses..

Stage4 build.

next stage Bullet Hit effect .i.e small dust and pices.Better /random destruct.more armour to be added and little more mass to the pieces.roof and solid walls.

p,.s as always there is some text,just showing hit /destroyed text removed.

smokey smile_o.gif.

Developing quite well smile_o.gif

Pity about the glass smashing sound crazy_o.gif

Get a good rubble one from somwhere tounge2.gif

Wildo