Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

I am shopping for a new computer mainly for gaming.  What do you guys think about this.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Area-51® 5500

Processor: Intel® Pentium® D Processor 930 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Saucer Silver

Chassis Upgrades: Standard Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC

Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Intel Edition Chipset Motherboard PCI Express SLI

Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB

System Drive: High Performance

Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder

Graphics Processor: 256MB ATI RADEONâ„¢ X1800 XL w/ Avivoâ„¢ Technology - DVI Dual Link Supported

Monitor: No Monitor

Sound Card: Integrated High-Performance 7.1 Surround Sound with S/PDIF and Coaxial Digital Outputs

Network Connection: Integrated Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

Keyboard: Alienware® USB Full-Size Keyboard

Mouse: Alienware® Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service

Alienware Exclusive Offers: GameFly - Unlimited Game Rentals for 15 days - FREE TRIAL

Inkjet Printers : None  

Total: $1684

They also have thing going were I can pay it off over 6 months no interest.

What do you guys think, any suggestions welcome.

I'm really not familiar with them and not the best to be giving advice on computers, but I would say wait. See what happens with technology in the near future (vista,dual-core (benchmarks within these),quad-core,video cards, ect.), assuming you can wait a little while. That's what I'm going to do. I know I can hold off a little longer. I want to see what happens with ArmA then maybe build my pc around that, but also thinking about the future.

By the way, what mod or addon is this?? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/victor78/burned.jpg

that would be the Y2K3 mod.

Well I am not really interested in vista and I am not buying any thing that is top of the line. Right now I am actually looking for a computer for my brother but am seriously considering one for myself. I have a laptop right now that I use for work and am kind of wieghing wether or not it is worth it to me to buy a new comp for gaming.

1700 buckaroos seems kind of expensive considering it does not come even with a monitor.

actually there is a hundred doller rebate so its more like 1600, but yea its up there.

Don't buy a computer from alienware; they are very overpriced. May i suggest building your own? It teaches you some new skills and it'll cost about 900 bux. visit newegg.com for all the parts. Although alienwares are high-quality, the price is just too high. A good reliable computer can be hand built for almost half as less, or order from monarchpc.com. monarchpc has a very good reputation and generally costs much less than an equivalent alienware.

The CD/DVD Rom doesnt say if its a RW or not? Bad deal if it isnt.

The Gfx card also i wouldnt recommend. Go for some Nvidia card.

The CD/DVD Rom doesnt say if its a RW or not? Bad deal if it isnt.

Considering that those things cost less than 50 bucks i'd say who cares.. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The Gfx card also i wouldnt recommend. Go for some Nvidia card.

Having owned three ATI cards in a row recently I wholeheartedly agree.

Hmm.. what do we have here. Another computer thread? Excellent.. *rubs his hands*

Mate, I don't know where you're buying but that's SERIOUSLY over priced. See what I came up with for about same amount of money with just a few clicks.

www.atk-agentti.fi

Quote[/b] ]Processor: INTEL PENTIUM D 950 3,4GHZ 800/2X2M S775

Operating System (Office software not included): WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION UK OEM SP2

Chassis: ANTEC SONATA II PIANO BLACK QUIET MIDI 450W

Chassis Upgrades: Comes with 120mm fan

Power Supply: Antec low-noise SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 PFC

Motherboard: MSI 975X PLATINUM ATX I975X S775 P4 PCIE CROSSFIRE Chipset Motherboard PCI Express SLI

Memory: KINGSTON 2 GB KIT (2*1GB) DDR2 667MHZ CL5 (KVR667D2N5K2/2G)

System Drive: 2 * SAMSUNG P120S 250GB SATAII NCQ 7200RPM 8MB IN RAID0

Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: LG GSA-H20LRB DVD+-RW DL LIGHTSCR.16X RETAIL BLACK

Graphics Processor: GIGABYTE GF 7900GT 256MB PCIE - DVI Dual Link Supported

Monitor: No Monitor

Sound Card: Integrated High-Performance 7.1 Surround Sound with S/PDIF and Coaxial Digital Outputs

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

Keyboard: LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP MX 5000 LASER

Mouse: LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP MX 5000 LASER

Warranty: 1-3 years for all parts

Exclusive Offers: You get a game, Serious Sam 2, with the gfx card

Inkjet Printers : None  

Speakers: LOGITECH X-530 / 5.1 70W RMS

Compare the list above and notice similar or better parts, 2 * 250GB hdd's, 2GB faster ram, and even 5.1 speakers ect.

/edit

Oh and the overall cost of the above is 1623 euros.

And also factor in the fact that those parts are a lot cheaper in the US too.

my opinion... you're paying THAT much for Intel and nForce?? and without a monitor it sounds like a biiiig rip-off. you'd get a bit more powerful and cheaper system if you bought it in parts whistle.gif

i am also looking for a new pc for arma.

at the moment i have focused on following specifications:

arma_pc.jpg

Guest Ti0n3r

luemmel, that looks pretty nice yay.gif

Don't buy a computer from alienware; they are very overpriced. May i suggest building your own?

A large bit of the price for the Alienware PC's isn't hardware, as you said, it's professionaly built, and has nice cabling/airflow and such.. Yes, it's possible to build a computer, but if you don't know a lot about building computers (If it'd be your first computer, DO NOT start of making a $1600 computer.. I'd stronly suggest starting of with the cheapest parts you can find, use spares etc, and learn from your mistakes), having a well made, nicely setup and tested computer, than will give full support, and repairs (for a year, for free as far as I can tell) might make it seem a bit less overpriced.. Plus, the cases are extremely shiney tounge2.gif

Not that I'd use something like Alienware, but then again, I've put together a bunch of computers, and dismantled/reassembled computers a lot..

luemmel : Case, power supply and cooling stuff! icon_rolleyes.gif

- Ben

luemmel, it seems like the 256 extra mb's makes a real big difference in the price of those nvidia cards. Have you considered if you really need 512mb or could you do with 256mb and get it for 200 euros less? smile_o.gif

@ Victor S: Nice PC. Too expensive. Build your own smile_o.gif

@Luelmaann: I am usually an nVidia man myself, but ATi's X1900XTX is a good bit faster than the 7900GTX and pretty much in the same price bracket. I would consider that instead.

@luemmel:

Step up and get a sAM2 motherboard and CPU instead.

It seems that AMD prices will drop 25-50% after the Conroe has been introduced, so i would wait a bit before buying a new AMD thingy wink_o.gif

(Only got a dutch source, sorry wink_o.gif )

Well i haven't done anything yet and after shopping around somemore I can definatly say I won't be getting an alienware computer.  I checked out the monarch computers and found this, tell me if you think this is a good deal.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Basic Configuration:

·  Case: Thermaltake Soprano Mid Tower Case w/Clear Side Window No PS Black w/Enermax EG565P-FMA REV.2.0 ATX 2.01 w/SLI Support 535W Power Supply

View

·  Motherboard: MSI 945P Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE-1394/USB/PCI-E/SATA3G/DDR2/ATX P4 775

View

·  Processors: Intel P4 650 3.4GHz LGA775 2MB 800 FSB (HT) (Retail Box-w-Fan)

·  Memory: 1 GB (2 pcs 512) DDR2 (667) PC2-5400 OCZ Gold (OCZ26671024ELDCGE-K)

·  Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB SATA3G 16MB Cache 7200 RPM (WD2500KS)

·  CD-RW/DVD-ROM: NEC ND-3550A 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW (OEM) (Black)

·  Video Card: ATI (Connect3D) Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3/PCI-E/AVIVO/Dual DVI (OEM)

·  Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (2002 Version) w/CD and license w/Service Pack 2

·  Industry Standard Upgradable

·  Cable and DSL ready

·  Free 90 Day Warranty - upgradable 6 month to 3 year warranties with 24/7 tech support and onsite repair options

I will check out the links you guys posted to see if i can get a better deal.  I don't think I will be building my own computer due to my lack of knowlege and time but thank you all for the help and if you have any more links or suggestions please continue to post.

I would wait till Core 2 Duo (formerly known as Conroe) comes out. Getting a Pentium 4 at this is stage is not really a good investment. And why not AMD?

I have a little technical question for the hardware-gurus here.

A friend of mine gave me a ATI Fire GL X, a really fat gfx card especially created for 3D or CAD but alos capable of handling games in a whoopie way.

He told me that it´s broken and shows weird things after a while.

I ripped of the ATI fan and replaced it with an Arctic cooler I had in stock.

The card ran fine for a while, I tested it in OFP and Far Cry and the result was amazing. 2000 Viewdistance on 1280x1024, high terrain level and visual quality put to max. Framerate was stable around 20-35 Frames.

After around 20 minutes of testing and putting load on the card it began acting weird. Artefacts, texture errors and in the end a total inferno of polygons onscreen.

I turned off the comp, removed the gfx card and removed the arctic cooling fan again. The cooler was very very hot, same with the GPU.

I guess the heat causes the card to malfunction, or is it the broken GPU that causes the heat ?

Now my question:

What can I do to cool the card efficently. Does watercooling reduce temps more than regular fans or is there any other approach I could take apart from using liquid nitrogen ?

I just don´t want to throw the card to the bin as it seems to be very powerfull and was somewhat expensive when my friend bought it. He paid around 1000 Euros when he bought it.

It would be nice if anyone could give me some thoughts.

BTW, the arctic cooling fan I used was meant for a Radeon 9700 Pro, but it fits the Fire GL perfectly. Looks like the Fire GL is based on the Radeon.

For 1000€ the card should serve cold beer and give footmasage during the world cup...damn that's a stiff price for a gfx card crazy_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I had a similar problem about a year ago with a GeForce 6800. I solved it by de-clocking the card GPU & memory by ~25mhz.

Not exactly the best way to fix it, but I guees it could be worth a try if you don't find any other solution.

Wondering about whether upgrading the old computer or buy a new one?

Discuss all HW-issues here.

Merged "Technical Question" and "New Computer" into this thread. smile_o.gif

A card with a such a price must come with some sort of warranty? Unless its been made void by replacing the fan and maybe its overdue its limited warranty period?