Sign in to follow this  
djura

Packages in Game2

I think, that adons folder in OFP isnt too much tabular and is compicate to know witch adons I need for witch mission after some time of playing and installing new ones. It can solve this problem: Missions will be in packages, wich will be installed by game and this pakages will contain names and downloading paths for required adons, scripts or mods... wink_o.gif

Is it good idea?

Hmm.. An interesting idea, saves "Addon requires : blahblah" messages, and time..

Since it's not the best description.. One of the biggest problems with compiling/installing is dependecnies, which you need to install before you can install the main program (Similar to things needing the .NET framework, or Java runtime things etc, but worse)..

Soo, there are programs, apt-get, yum etc.. Basicly, all you do is

apt-get install firefox, say, and it downloads the files for firefox, and if it needs a certain libary too, it'll download and install that..

And to remove, allyou do is apt-get remote firefox

(YUM is the same thing, but for a different distro)

Maybe something like this, that "checked" addons are added to a DB, which stores links to the addon, and the name of required addons. THen when you click the "Install [Mod1], it grabs that file, and any nessisary addons", and installs them. Then, to remove, it removes any unused addons (So it doesn't remove an addon used by a different mod)

Hmm, it would solve things like unused addons lying around, the obvious mission addon errors, and stop duplicate addons in multile mod folders etc, and make installing mods easy

Only thing is setting up/maintating the database would be quite hard.. If BIS don't do something like this, a community run equivelent could be done, which grabs addons and puts them in approriate mod folders..

Hmm

- Ben

I can imagine external instalator, witch use central database of packages (it download them from internet). Packages will be archives with adon/mission and description of all content. In game should be any interface for package manager (will be adons able to run external programs?).

Readmes work fine IMO, just read them when you download an addon, not after you get countless of missing addon messages and after years you decide to do something about it... tounge2.gif

Yeh, the readmes work, but something like this, A, wouldn't replace the normal package management, B, make it easier for people not used to screwing around downloading 90 addons to get an island work, C, is good to get lazy people playing addons tounge2.gif

Also, with the sqaud I ran for OFP, one of the biggest problems was getting people to download the right addons, and the right versions of them.. If I could shove a simple text file on the site, not with links that could get broken, but rather addon IDs, which link to a database of addons, each with lists of mirrors, a name, a small discription, and a list of dependancy's ID numbers.. Hmmm

- Ben

I spoke about it with Placebo and he wrote:

Quote[/b] ]

There have been a few suggestions on how to improve addon handling, I think Game2 will see improvements there smile_o.gif

...hmm