Sign in to follow this  
Nightjay0044

Long Range Sniping Technique

Alright, this way of AI long range sniping or short range sniping works pretty well. Also the whole thing was created by the user BlueLikeU....I've just used his technique.....Below is the link to my forums that describes how to do it...

How do I make a sniper shoot an enemy that walks in his sights?

STEP 1: ADD SNIPER

Name: Sniper1

STEP 2: ADD TRIGGER 1

AXIS A: ?? AXIS B: ?? (how ever big you want)

ACTIVATION: West,East,Resistance, Civilian??/Repeatedley

CONDITION: this

ON ACTIVATION: "sniper1 reveal _x" foreach thislist

STEP 3: ADD TRIGGER 2

(make sure this trigger is inside the radius of Trigger1 you created)

AXIS A: 0 AXIS B: 0

(everything else in this trigger can be left default, besides the below properties)

CONDITION: Sniper1 knowsabout player > 0.8

This will make the sniper shoot at any enemy inside the trigger radius or zone that you created....As long as the sniper can shoot that far, whatever his sight distance is..

------------------

I've also tested this out..the sniper can shoot pretty dang far and still hit his target and it could make it difficult for the player to find the sniper if you have him well hidden.

Any comments please respond..

Also I've tested this out..

DAYTIME:

If the AI sniper can see the enemy he can shoot him up to a range from 500 to 600 meters.

NIGHTIME:

This is about 400 to 500 meters...Not as good as day...I

I also tested this on the desert island. So on other islands with hills it might be harder for the AI to shoot at the enemy if he's in his line of sight.

Seems not, but this sounds interesting.

One question : doesnt the range where AI engages enemies depend on the weapon config?

Quote[/b] ]One question : doesnt the range where AI engages enemies depend on the weapon config?

This techniques works best only for the sniper rifles. I haven't really tested it on any other type of guns...

But it works great for snipers...

Seems not, but this sounds interesting.

One question : doesnt the range where AI engages enemies depend on the weapon config?

Yes, the weapon config (and the unit config too) has a big influence on the range an unit can spot and engage an enemy.

Just download this very small addon , those snipers can spot a target by themselves and engage it at very long distance (way more than the stock AI sniper can), exactly like a human player sniper will always.

So with some config values, the AI sniper can be as deadly as the human player sniper.

If you want a sniper to fire at very long ranges without any extra addon (just a script and a trigger) you may try this:

(Go to the bottom of the page)

Mandomisil suite

The missile should have its maneobravility parameter set to minimum and missile and warhead type set to the bullet type of the desired weapon (without smoke trail).

While it may sound complex, it is just a single call to a script that will associate an automatic attack system to the sniper unit. The first demo mission has a similar system attached to a small boat simulating a phalanx system and intercepting incomming missiles.