caz

Guide to on-line play for noobs

Thought id run this up to help noobs with online OFP smile.gif

1st off you need to get 'The Eye' which will let u surf for games to play on.

Go to 'waiting for players' tab and scroll though and join a server with a low ping and no PL (packet loss) If it says 'Force Conection' it means the game has started and you will have to wait for the next map.

1/ When u do get onto a server u need to pick a side to play either EAST or WEST . Once you pick your side hit 'START' so it changes your icon to green. The game wont be able to start unless everyones name is green and there is no one in the 'Player Pool'

Another pointer is if u are in the top slot u are responsible for turning off the AI players. To do this hit 'DISABLE ALL' dont forget or this will cause lag on the server and piss people off as u have to restart to get rid of them

2/ The next stage is to pick the role of player you want to be, once u move over u are ready to go.

3/ Third stage is the mission briefing..it may take a while to get here cus of map loading so be patince. Once it does load and u are ready hit 'IM READY' again this changes your name to green so the game can go ahead. All players names must be green before the game starts.

Please stay at your PC and dont dander off when the game starting up, because it holds others back waiting on u. Make your selections quickly and click the buttons for when u are ready so the games starts fast with no hassle

admin codes are as follows

(ADMIN)

#vote admin (name) << gets u admin

#mission << goes onto next map

#missions << when u are admin lets u select missions

#restart << lets u restart game

#kick (name) << to kick people

all the above can be down if there is no admin but with everyone voting ie:

#vote missions

#vote mission

#vote kick (name)

#vote restart

(Pointers)

the boxes down the bottom show your ping and peoples statis and will also let u see who is the admin

RED = Not ready/lagged out/or if its on the briefing screen they are still loading

YELLOW= made selection but havent hit 'im ready or start'

GREEN= ready to go

The online games varie for CTF (re-spawns) - Co-Op (u only get 1 life) and every man for himself (re-spawns)

hope that helps everyone smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ Jan. 22 2002,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let's make this a sticky.<span id='postcolor'>

Done smile.gif

If people can add any other tips/advice to it please do smile.gif

Work together with your team and don't waste vehicles, it's annoying when someone takes off in a vehicle alone only to either get killed or crash without a reason when he don't need it anymore.

When playing in cadet mode, forget about the friendly/enemy tags. Learn the uniform textures. This can help cut down on getting chewed for a TK.

Also if you do not know how to fly don't try and learn in the game

fire up ofp go into mission editor set your self up some gound targets put a chopper or plane at the airport and rock away

granted you may have to jack up the ai but what the heck

once you have ground targets down throw in some air targets put an empty chopper in. climb in it and then rock and roll

If you can take down a few choppers with out an ai gunner and just by your self you are good to go

do the same with the a10

Okay now for infantry plain and simple again go into the mission editor make your self some targets tanks infantry etc oh and stack the ai against you give your self some laws garl gustav mines and rock away

trust me this will help you

okay how not to loose your vehicles from that pesky chopper or plane

grap a launcher AA and a couple of your buds on your team leave your vehicles

head out on foot to a set area have someone drive a jeep or something your not afraid to loose out of spawn or where ever too that he is blowing stuff up

then blam shoot him down oh and all fire at once or in quick sppaced intervals

try not to fire at him when he is moving low or in a turn waste of ammo try and catch him in a straight run comeing at you going away etc

how to avoid getting shot down

do not do anything i mentioned above that can get you shot down jing and constantly turn

gaurding a flag okay simple lay mines and satchels then leave your town grab a sniper rifle or binoculars and find some place to watch your flag far away but close enough you can still hit off your satchels wait till they get near your flag and then boom or snipe the person

try not to hide in the same spot they start looking for you after the first time

tanks okay well if I have to explain that one your noob and shouldn't being playing

but one thing try and travel in packs two or three if you can if you get in trouble you can help each other out

nothing like double teaming someone

bmps and bradley

okay my favorite vehicles find your self a nice place to camp in other wards hide

defense vehicle only by the way

just enough so you can see over a hill, burm, bunker whatever

your missles can engage these targets and heat and ap rounds once engageing a tank almost make it impossible for them to see if you get the drop on them and wham gone is that big bad ugly tank

going for a flag okay

simple again get a couple of guys and go after it make sure you clear the enemy out

now some annoying person who is hideing has his finger on a satchel so someone be a sacarifical lamb grab the flag boom

okay now wait for the noob to return it

then the other two come out of hideing and bam get the flag and skinny back to base.

also try and move corner to corner of buildings etc travel in two to three man teams spaced out a little so if some ones throws a grenade or shoots one of you you can get them

and all do not die

Now not all these tricks will work all the time but hey it gives you a step in the right direction and a few pointers to get started

Plus you won't fell like such a tard on the battlefield

Before long you will be able to pull alot of these tactics by yourself and get them off but realize it is still alawys best to travel in packs biggrin.gif

Just in case:

Be sure to join servers with as low ping as possible. Many server-admins and hosts dislike HPBs (High Ping Bastards) because their high ping impacts the rest of the players, making effective teamwork hard (IE: HPB occupies a tank, all players in the tank gets lagged (lagged = game run very choppy, thus bad) generally making it impossible to do anything good.

If you can't find any low-ping servers, use the All-Seeing Eye to find dedicated ones, they are usually better.

I have a few questions.

they are rather dumb ones but I need to know

I only have a 56k connection so would the game lag loads for me?

Also, Im with freeserve and to keep it free I have to disconnect off the internet every hour(will change soon) so I dont think I would have enough time to play.

That brings me onto another question how long do games last and what is the usual number of players?

1 more, would I have to join a clan to play?

they are stupid but I need the knowlege

1/ your ping would be a bit higher, giving lpb's and advantage over u , but would still be playable

2/yes u would. only thing is u would have to rejoin the server and wait for next map if u miss it

3/anything from 10mins to 30mins and from 2people up to 32ish

4/nope, they all side together to pick on noobs the meanies mad.gif

Hiya Caz,

Good intro. I hate to display my complete noobiness, but just what is "The Eye"... and where does one find it? I assumed you meant GameSpy... but I see no "waiting for players" tab.

Second, what is a "good" ping time? I rarley see times under 100 ms and most games are in the 150+ range and quickly escalate to what I would consider unplayable. This is on 1500/128 DSL. This seems odd since the only other online game I play (which is highly susceptible to lag) has its server in Frace and I can consistenly ping it from NY in 100-110 ms.

"The Eye" would be "The All Seeing Eye" you can get it from here .............

okay most games the highest ping it seems that is berable to allow play is 250 after that major lag kicks in and that is that

so try and find a server close to home where ever you are

just ask when you go in a server and they should tell you

or kick you either way you will find out

all seeing eye allows you to see an accurate ping to you

I'm sorry to be a total noob but im having trouble getting in to a multiplayer game.

I completed the game countless times @ veteran level and i'm just bored of doing the same thing over and over. I've got v1.20 and the eye and a 56k modem.

Can someone really help me out and post a detailed step by step to how to get on.

Cheers.

If you have a 56k you are out of luck. OFP is unplayable with a 56k. My advice: call up your local cable or phone company, and ask them if they offer Cable Modems or DSL, respectively

You need to upgrade

You can get the upgrades from the bis site

Rule of thumb

Fresh install every time

If you have maps or missions you made back them up to another directory

upgrade

then put them back in there prospective files

Upgrades go in this orde

to

to

to

I will come back and edit if need it

You can get upgrades from bis site or through gamespy

I started trying to play multiplayer, but ever server needs a password, they are all dedicated.

AND OPF cant be very popular cos i there is about 5 out of 40 with people actually on them

You all forgot the most important thing for playing OFP online:

Persistent patience!

Don`t plan to play OFP if you don`t got at least 1 hour time to play.

If you can`t wait any longer than 2 minutes play CS! wink.gif

Sometimes you got to wait for 20 minutes in the lobby until a new game starts and some online games took 45 minutes and more.

So be prepared!

And OFP needs an new option:

When waiting in the game lobby for a new game to start and you switch to the internet (Alt + Tab) to surf in the meanwhile, an sound should be warning you when the actual game ends so that you can switch back just in time - otherwise you got to wait again...

How, do I host a game on "The Eye"?

It seems that caz's instructions are for players joining a game as opposed to hosting a game.

Thanks

smile.gif

Well i didn`t see this that i can remember but do the MIC setup, to hear all the plans being hatched is a real bonus, or tango behind you.

Note you don`t have to have a MIC to use this function,open up the OperationFlashpoint prefferences,chose do MIC setup. Then whala your right in there and i bet also picking up a MIC soon after.

There is alot of tactical things that have been used,try and make up some real good flag capture strats.Believe me its hard when there is a seasoned player keeping an eye on the flag.And believe me they die in defence of this flag,so its hard.

And don`t get discuraged once this game is learned and kinda infused with your own newly gained talents.It all boils down to a real great fight for all.So nomatter how frusterated or angery one finds them selves. It can only get better trust me i was a noob once aswell(sorry about the expression but its the most common)so chin up learn the game and go kick lots of azz`s.

P.S. im not into giveing away good strats,but most don`t aswell so keep an eye on the high scores,find the name behind the high score and watch and learn.

Maybe you could post a link to this EYE... I ran a search on Google for : "The Eye" games

and got 264,000 hits... the first 10m pages have nothing about a program like GameSpy...

Help! CUZ GAMESPY SUX!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CarolCray @ Mar. 15 2002,04:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe you could post a link to this EYE... I ran a search on Google for : "The Eye" games

and got 264,000 hits... the first 10m pages have nothing about a program like GameSpy...

Help! CUZ GAMESPY SUX!<span id='postcolor'>

You can find The All-Seeing Eye here:

http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/

I was playing an on-line game yesterday. It was the first time, so I accidentally TK pretty muchl. But I can´t figure out how to write the other players, to say I´m sorry.

Help???!!!!