caz

Guide to on-line play for noobs

banghead.gif

Ok i give up after searching for the last few hours i cant find it anywhere. So if u l337 OFP gods can tell me how to join a Multiplayer game by remote, ie, me and a buddy want to hook up with out leaving the house. and how to join a game by remote, I have a buddy that has a dedicated server, but it doesnt show up in game spy. he said to join by remote, so I put the IP in and nothing. Thanks in advance, and FLAME AWAY.

banghead.gif

Ok i give up after searching for the last few hours i cant find it anywhere. So if u l337 OFP gods can tell me how to join a Multiplayer game by remote, ie, me and a buddy want to hook up with out leaving the house. and how to join a game by remote, I have a buddy that has a dedicated server, but it doesnt show up in game spy. he said to join by remote, so I put the IP in and nothing. Thanks in advance, and FLAME AWAY.

I used to play OFP online with a friend a bunch, all I can remember doing was staying on sockets and clicking on remote. There all I did was put in his IP address and leave it on port 2302, or whatever default is.

If that doesn't work maybe your buddy has a firewall up. Go to The Avonlady's and search for "behind a firewall". Until my friend opened up some ports (I'm not exactly sure which ones) we couldn't connect in multiplayer either.

I hope that can help a little smile_o.gif

If that doesn't work maybe your buddy has a firewall up. Go to The Avonlady's and search for "behind a firewall". Until my friend opened up some ports (I'm not exactly sure which ones) we couldn't connect in multiplayer either.

I hope that can help a little smile_o.gif

i will give it a shot, thanks for the direction.

**EDIT***

think i found the soloution here

http://www.ofpbase.com/forums....iplayer

whistle.gif

Hello all,

I'm new here. I have heard of OFP before, but never knew anything about it. It was only yesterday I was showed its glory. I play consoles now, used to play PC years ago. Grew up on Original RB6's, and all the good RTS, C&C, starcraft, warcraft, AoE, etc.

I have spent all of yesterday and this morning reading about OFP and ArmA. I have a newb question regarding CTI.

How many different ways can this be played?

Player V Player; Player V AI, Player and AI V Player and AI?

Are there no respawns? I would imagine it would be impossible with respawns.

Is the most players in a room 32? (and as I understand it there is no limit in ArmA, just how many the server can hold?)

What are the most popular gametypes for MP (not coop), CTI and CTF?

Thanks in advance guys. notworthy.gif

There is PVP CTI, wich is players VS players or player + AI VS player + AI.

Then there is CTI coop wich can be played player VS AI or player + AI VS AI.

There is respawn for all CTI-versions (I think)

The max players are infinite, though the largest CTI is 30 man

probably a noob question & quite possibly supposed to be in Troubleshooting but here goes :

I made a pack of addons (loosely based around the Inv44 2.0 release - I burnt them to a CD in .rar form & then posted said CD's to the three peep's in our Flashpoint appreciation society (or husbands beer swilling/wife escapism evening to give it it's offical title).....

Having talked them all through the install proccess we hit a wall. Players can connect to the custom missions I've made, however they then get kicked for 'player uses modified config file'. Odd thing - one of the guys had his laptop over & I dragged the folder over onto his machine via LAN, and he can now connect with no probs, even remotely.

I'm assuming the cd must have a corrupt config ? We checked that all the other addons etc matched file sizes etc and all seems identical. So:

1. Which is the config file I need to redistribute? (I have a folder marked 'BIN' - is this it?

2. Does the mod folder name affect someones ability to join ?(surely all the same addons are loaded anyway?) Also I use the original flashpoint (with RES) and they're using the GOTY edition - does it make a difference which folder the game 'starts in' n(ie the window beneath 'Target' in the shortcut properties?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hi guys,

I'm on a wireless Broadband connection 24.0 Mbps, but I'm still getting lag problems on GameSpy.

Ping is usually great, but then it just jumps to the 600s for a few seconds (as i've been told) before returnign to normal.

It's a bloody nuisance! any ideas as to what I can do?

I read the entire topic.

its useful; thanks. specially thank to caz (thread starter).

but I have more questions:

How can we recognize AI and human players (and their names) in a game?

How can we create and publish and play with others our MP missions on the game servers?

Where can we find a complete help for any mission for newbies?

and probably some other questions in the future!

No ID's to differentiate human/AI - play enough and it should become easy to tell (some human players have custom faces that allow them to be recognizable, something I recommend you do - search the forums for it)

You can submit your missions to the admin of the server you play in

As for creating missions, I really don't have much experience, but the following I think is a good place for info: OFPEC

Edited by Anguis

thanks Anguis.

I have another question: how does a CTI mission end? have it a time limit, or another criteria?

thanks, that was realy good (at least very better than nothing).

I will appreciate tutorials for other missions too.

a personal question: why did you never play CTI?

I have another question.

i have a high ping around 300ms (but rarely encountered interrupting lags).

some guys called me a lagger!

is that true that a high ping or lag guy causes everybody in the game to experience the lags? i think it is not true, and depends on the mission and if i have direct interactions with the rest of players (e.g. if i am in a truck that other team members are in its cargo).

Here is a place to start: https://portforward.com/operation-flashpoint/

Most routers have an IP login you can get to with your browser. There is also port forwarding software you can download.

Inside the router you'll find port settings sometimes called NAT Rules or maybe firewall settings and pinholes/DMZ

Also make sure the windows firewall has the proper exceptions.

This old thread might help too.

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/119033-how-do-i-make-a-make-a-dedicated-server/

• Thanks 1

Thank you, already opened ports, now okay. Now i want server config so i'll read those topics.

UPD: there is some info @biki too.

Not really, you have to use some 3rd party software like TeamSpeak.

It was supposed to work with DirectPlay, but I can not confirm that as no one has ever used Direct Play.

• Thanks 1

I can run dedicated DirectPlay host right now. Want someone with DP installed to connect for check, how is built-in voice chat behaves (is there a positional sound?). Option "reportingIP = "master.ofpisnotdead.com";" is not working for DP connection i guess. 

Summary:

-DirectPlay (WinXP+DX 9.0c is the easy way; for newer OS you must turn it on at win components, with win update on)

-micro, adjusted with "preferences.exe > voice setup"

I may be wrong, but I remember that since version 1.96 DirectPlay (or at least DirectPlay unique features, including VoN/VoIP) was disabled. Probably due to infamous exploding HDD bug.

Mine is working. If 1.99 will not help i'll be forced to get an explosives to blow that old piece of engeneering.

I'm just curious, is there a positional sound of a player's model or it's a way simplyer. Want to test it once to be sure, so don't sbe hy - send a message to me!