Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Amazing new fire and smoke effects by john

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Mirror from OFP.info</span>

Since i didnt see any one else starting a topic on this, i thought i would my self. This must be the most impressive effects...ever...seen in ofp.

My god.... wow_o.gif

Also so this theards actully useful too some one

Quote[/b] ]John is also looking for someone that could help him making an easy installation script for replacing the BIS effects (probably de-pbo some files, update them and re-pbo them). Contact him at johns_skinn@hotmail.com if you can help!

Please help this man!

JohnFX1s.jpg

JohnFX3s.jpg

Click it! CLICK IT NOW!

That looks realistic, like there is actually shadow being cast on the fire and smoke. smile_o.gif I hope good ol' OFP is able to handle it.

it seems like a photograph pasted in a ofp enviroment , i donn't think John has achieved such a fire efect , it would be amazing !

let's wait and see ....

Hey, that's a pretty good job ! Very interesting indeed. Now, how is it going to work with standard OFP or other addons like ECP, Hisky, Llauma etc.. is another matter.

Keep up the good work !

Apparently the addon has already been sent to Cervo of OFP.Info. So it shouldn’t be long now before we can test these beautiful effects. biggrin_o.gif

Sure hope it isn't the same installation method as he had me do when I tested his custom sky (un-pboing 4 huge files and pboing them back together) help.gif

Wow !! I hope those will be released soon because I CANNOT WAIT! inlove.gif

from John.

Quote[/b] ]ps.: i use photorealistic textures scaled down ,done the correct alphas for it ,thats it...a quick idea also np.

OFP effects are based on realistic particles that have the same density than air and not on animated 'textures' like in other games (CoD2, MOH...etc).

Those particles can be defined with the use of 'drop' commands or via the cfgcloudlets.

Plus defining such pretty effects in ofp would require the use of tons of drop commands that might cause some serious lag issues.

I'm afraid that John won't find any way to implement those textures, but maybe he might try to animate them with some complex scripts, though.

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

from John.
Quote[/b] ]ps.: i use photorealistic textures scaled down ,done the correct alphas for it ,thats it...a quick idea also np.

OFP effects are based on realistic particles that have the same density than air and not on animated 'textures' like in other games (CoD2, MOH...etc).

Those particles can be defined with the use of 'drop' commands or via the cfgcloudlets.

Plus defining such pretty effects in ofp would require the use of tons of drop commands that might cause some serious lag issues.

I'm afraid that John won't find any way to implement those textures, but maybe he might try to animate them with some complex scripts, though.

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

ye you`re right!

but it looks nice, hope too that we can test it soon smile_o.gif

ltrs

Now these are some proper fires! They will come to good use when I feel like blowing stuff up!! Hope he will also do some explosions with these effects! That would rock, some huuuge explosions with lots of stuff flying arround. notworthy.gif

Well, prepare to get really excited. wink_o.gif

On the ofp.info forums, he announced hes just sent them to the top for release.

Now if Cervo would just get up off his arse and check his emails....... tounge2.gif

Edit:

Quote[/b] ]Apparently the addon has already been sent to Cervo of OFP.Info. So it shouldn’t be long now before we can test these beautiful effects. biggrin_o.gif

hmm, damn you nimoy, distracting me with ur hobbit nonsense

It looks rather strange, the different textures are too different and it just doesn't look smooth. confused_o.gif

If your happy to back up everyone of your data.pbo 's and do it for every single one, fine. But If you ask me its all a little over complicated. Surely there must be an easier way? ECP manages to replace the BIS standard effects without any of this. confused_o.gif

Ok Im not saying everyone should not get it or that it must be made easier by pain of death, Im just voicing my opinion.

well dont seem to work for me downloaded and backed up my data and tried but it just isnt working

Couldnt the installer be like the sky pack installers? That was a hell lot easier

Just tested it and i find this concept really impressive.

Of course, during fire and smoke animations, some of the textures do not fit with the previous ones creating some "blinking" feeling instead of being a smooth transition, but the idea is really great and it has an interesting visual potential.

I hope to see something like this in ArmA , as if reworked right, the effect ingame would be incredible and would enhance the visuals a very lot (i don't even noticed any performance issue when looking at these !wink_o.gif.

Great job John icon14.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

I have to say having just had a short play around with it, it is really impressive and has the potential to be much better than anything else we've seen so far for effects.

With a bit more work to stop the 'blinking' then its going to be pretty amazing.

If your happy to back up everyone of your data.pbo 's and do it for every single one, fine. But If you ask me its all a little over complicated. Surely there must be an easier way? ECP manages to replace the BIS standard effects without any of this. confused_o.gif

Ok Im not saying everyone should not get it or that it must be made easier by pain of death, Im just voicing my opinion.

I like to see the patch generator used and think it's the best way. It's actually very simple to install and you don't have to patch 4 data.pbos.

Easiest way is to use a mod folder. If you have a custom sky folder, use that one, if you haven't make a new modfolder and copy your dta folder from the \res directory into it.

Now you only need to know if you play with Hardware T&L activated or not. You can see that in your Flashpoint Preferences, should be activated with everything from a GeForce1 and above.

Now start the patch, redirect it to your modfolder and choose one data.pbo, without HWTL the one directly in the \dta folder, with HWTL choose the one inside the \dta\hwtl folder.

The patcher will automatically save a backup for you, named data.pbo.bak, you just have to rename it if you want to switch back.

Now just start up Flashpoint with that modfolder and voila smile_o.gif

(It should work without the modfolder, too. Just patch the used data.pbo in your \res directory)

I think the patch generator is one of the best tools, thanks to Voyager and Nashe Orujie thumbs-up.gif

well what can i say simply fantastic, well done john.

johnsmokebydbo7nx.th.jpg

cant believe some folk cant copy 4 files. anyway like sanc said a lil fast .but otherwise ,bis are quakin in there boots smile_o.gif.JOKE

pic took at setacc.08

my.php?image=johnsmokebydbo7nx.jpg

Huh, I only copied to Dta, Res/Dta and Res/HTWL/Dta. That's another 100mb saved. I had no problems installing, but aye, they do look a bit - flashy. Looks almost perfect with secAcctime 0.25, so maybe you could make it 4 times slower or something if it's possible?