Sign in to follow this  
Bagel

Radio chatter

I would really aprreciate help on the correct creation of ogg files.

Iuse the windows Sound Recoder to create a wav file , I then load it into Wavesurfer and save it as an ogg file. No problems here, it plays back on Winamp as an ogg file.

However when I init it in the program, the progam jumps out into windows and then my PC freezes!! When I use ogg files from other peoples programs they work just fine!!

I have tried from 11025 to 44100khz , both 8 and 16 bit all mono (for radio), constant bitrate and 64kps , what am I missing here as I would dearly like to create my own radio commands.

everything is in place , the description file, the csv file, everything works. When I take my own created file and plug it in when it is init in the game it jumps out to win and freezes. Even when I tried renaming my own created file and replacing an existing file in a working game the same thing happens.

I am either creating the wav file incorrectly or the conversion process to ogg is wrong.

I even tried a wav file that was created by a synthesized voice from on interactive demo on the net to try and isolate if my wav file creation was the problem, when I loaded this wav file as an ogg file in the game the same thing happened which might point to my ogg conversion as the problem, I really am lost here as I have tried everything.

I have even tried DBPowerAMP to convert my WAV recording from WAV to OGG, same result. I don't know if it is the creation of the WAV file or the conversion to OGG that is my problem.

Many thanks

I have seen quite a lot of sound editing problems (I wrote the sound tutorial which might already have, if you have not, go to my homepage)

This problem sounds like a description.ext that has gone wrong, you see, when you have an incorrect ogg, the game usually doesn't crash, it simply doesn't play your file. DbPowerAmp's OGG conversion did cause crashes however.

Do you get a CfgSounds error when it crashes ?

However, if you are absolutely sure I am wrong, sent me a mail with your mission/sounds and I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for your response, I just cant figure this out.

I don't think it is the description file or CSV table file as what I did was to get a mission that was working correctly with existing OGG files. I then created a WAV file , converted it to OGG , renamned it to the name of the original OGG file in the mission i.e. therefore all the settings are the same , the only variable being the new OGG file. The new OGG file plays on WInamp , no problem. When I then restart the mission the point where the radio voice (OGG) is to play ( where it worked perfectly with the poriginal OGG file ) the game throws me out into windows and my PC freezes. No errors nothing !

This is how I came to the conclusion that either my WAV creation or my OGG conversion is wrong.

I can use any OGG files I have downloaded from the net and have no problem getting them to play, it is only my created OGG files that don't work!! AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

The game is so much better with radio chatter in it and I ain't go it!!

Thanks