Sign in to follow this  
karantan

Cold Steel

COLD STEEL by karantan

Here's the stuff, which should go along nicely with a current snowy-Christmas-New Year and all that mood; a tank mission on Winter Kolgujev.

You are a West tank squad commander, and your task is to destroy an enemy Main Head Quorters. It sounds easy enough; after all, you have three 70 ton monsters under your command, but between you and that HQ is almost the whole lenght of that island, which is nothing less but an enemy holded territory ...

Addons:

To play the mission you need the following addons:

- Kegety's Winter Kolgujev

- Kegety's Winter Vehicles

-Ash's Arctic Armour Pack

- Mikero's Editor 103    - if you already have General Barron's Editor Upgrade 2.2, then this download is not necessary but I do recommend it; it's the 'ultimate' editor's upgrade

I will not bother you further with what mission features or with this or that (it's xmass time after all xmas_o.gif , please read the Readme for such kind of informations wink_o.gif ), so here're the download links (file size 4.5 Mb)

http://www.ofpec.com/missions/mission_detail.php?ID=1379

MIRRORS:

<a href="http://www.easy-sharing.com/171717/Cold_Steel.zip.html

" target="_blank">EASY-SHARING</a>

SAVEFILE

and some pictures. ENJOY!

cold16up.jpg

cold29ck.jpg

cold31ei.jpg

cool. Downloading now. Play it tonight and hopefully be back tommrow to tell all about it. Plus tank mission are cool.  wink_o.gif

*edit* You got a direct download link. OFPEC not working for me at the mement wink_o.gif

cool. Downloading now. Play it tonight and hopefully be back tommrow to tell all about it. Plus tank mission are cool. wink_o.gif

*edit* You got a direct download link. OFPEC not working for me at the mement wink_o.gif

same thing

upload the file here : http://rapidshare.de/

OFPEC not working for me at the mement  wink_o.gif

For me either. I've added few mirrors on the first poster (thanks for the Rapidshare, Chicken_bone smile_o.gif ). Thank you guys for pointed out the problem.

EDIT: Any feedback is-will be appreciated wink_o.gif .

I get some missing addon errors for some Kegetys Snow Soldiers!

I have installed winterofp-Mod an all addons listed above!

Where did the error messages come from?!

S.D.

Create a mod folder with the addons you need, but without the winterofp-Mod.

Your error looks like winterofp-Mod includes Winter Nogoyev, which will be incompatible with it's older version Winter Kolguyev.

Trapper beated me. lol. What can I say; thanks, Trapper. Btw, did you play the mission?

Yes, I've just finished my comment on OFPEC.

Damn this was hard again. Couldn't you make it a more normal tank mission? This was a bit like James Gastovski on tracks. tounge2.gif

What about much more infantry effectively securing all the conquered places afterwards?

At least until the 'base'. Nothing was more frustrating than to be refitting everything at the 'base', when a russian counter attack began and the securing infantry was no protection at all for my refitting soldiers and tanks.

A tank mission is no real fun for me when I've got to kill every single enemy myself. It should be more like kicking the door in for the infantry which then secures the area effectively so I can feel save to refit there.

Just readed your comment on OFPEC, Trapper. Thanks for it, mate. smile_o.gif

True, I could make this mission more normal eg easier, where your side is so strong, that you can overun the enemy in five minutes, but nah, you know that's not my stile; it's much more 'fun', if your side is in overall defensive and the enemy can overun YOU, but instead of retreating-fleeing, your side decide to launch a precise, surprise attack on a selected target, which will suficiently cripled the enemy, and took some of the advantage from their hands. Now that's a challenge!

Don't understand quite what do you mean by securing the 'all conquered places'; the base is secured with two (if your squad hasen't be much of help with less) well equiped squads, that's regarding the situation quite enough (especially if the enemy havy mgun in the base is not destroyed so the dudes can use it), and they're capable to fend off any enemy infantry attack.

As I said, this is not like we're all now advancing and conquering the territory operation - there's no streght for this, it's more like a surgical strike on a vital enemy position-facility, where the speed of the advancing can be essential (but still: if interesting you; my playing time is about 1.5 hour, and I 'know' the mission ... ) so there's not (much) of need for infantry to acompany your armour, and to slow you down, or to obstruct you on some other way.

Tank missions are pigs to play (the 'tank AI' is one of the most if not the most moronic in OFP, but still you must to pull out the best from them), even more to design, so I decided to make one, because there's not many of them out there, that's all. wink_o.gif

I've noticed this style similarities to the Spearbounce campaign very early in the mission. It's interesting that mission makers seem to be stuck to one style with their creations. I'm no exeception. smile_o.gif

In Spearbounce I was able to soothe my thoughts about unrealistic expectations with the fact that I was playing a former special forces guy. The experience behind this character let me arrange with the bloodcurdling tasks I was ordered to accomplish.

Here I'm ordered to do a surgical strike with a tank platoon. That's a discrepancy itself for me and I can't find an explanation in the played character why he should be able to survive this last stand. But luckily we've got the retry positions. smile_o.gif

..secure all conquered places..

My wish is based on the counter attack experience while refitting. I was busy for minutes to heal and repair everything at the 'base' and when I was almost finished, it rained rockets. I lost one soldier and everything was in the same bad state as before. The securing infantry only shot a few bursts afterwards and didn't move much. Also beeing able to refit even further in the enemy territory requires to hunt down every single soldier myself, so they won't kill the support vehicles later. Seems not like a very realistic task of tanks for me, in such a mini blitzkrieg.

But my wish would change the mission entirely. No surgical strike, but a full assault to conquer that part of the island. The tank platoon as spearhead destroyes armor and fortifications. Then the infantry follows to search for remaining enemys and to occupy the area. This creates areas where it is really save and realistic to refit the tanks.

Or when I had to keep the strength/objectives you defined for the Cold Steel scenario, I would use the tanks only to conquer the 'base' and send the Cobra or a BlackOp team to attack the HQ. IMHO their chances would be way better. Without savegames there wouldn't even be the slightest chance for the tank platoon as their support lines are streched too thin.

And after all these difficulties caused by realism there's still the OFP tank control difficulty left. smile_o.gif

Hi Trapper! I give myself some thinking if I should answer, and I decided to answer, because reading your comments I'm more and more getting the feeling, that you didn't quite catch the 'spirit' of this mission.

Here I'm ordered to do a surgical strike with a tank platoon. That's a discrepancy itself for me and I can't find an explanation in the played character why he should be able to survive this last stand. But luckily we've got the retry positions. smile_o.gif

Regarding on a given situation on the terrain, your squad is most qualified and capable to pull off such assigment. That's right, you shouldn't survive such an action, and here's the catch, mate! But the character (you! ) have the faith - and also the order! crazy_o.gif, that he and his squad is capable to accomplish this assigment.

My wish is based on the counter attack experience while refitting. I was busy for minutes to heal and repair everything at the 'base' and when I was almost finished, it rained rockets. I lost one soldier and everything was in the same bad state as before.

Hm, then maybe reffiting in the base is not the best idea ... A matter of commanders(yours) -wrong?- tactical decision.

Also beeing able to refit even further in the enemy territory requires to hunt down every single soldier myself, so they won't kill the support vehicles later.

Hm, just read the quote again, mate; maybe again not the best idea-decision of choosing to refit your squad deeply in the enemy territory?

But my wish would change the mission entirely. No surgical strike, but a full assault to conquer that part of the island. The tank platoon as spearhead destroyes armor and fortifications. Then the infantry follows to search for remaining enemys and to occupy the area. This creates areas where it is really save and realistic to refit the tanks.

By reading this quote I've got the feeling that you didn't quite catch the 'overall situation on the ground', and-or the streght relations between the sides in this mission quite well. And the infantry does creates such a 'safe area', in fact the safest area possible on the location of the operation (the base). But, it is really safe there? Or anywhere else for that matter? You're in command, you decide.

Or when I had to keep the strength/objectives you defined for the Cold Steel scenario, I would use the tanks only to conquer the 'base' and send the Cobra or a BlackOp team to attack the HQ. IMHO their chances would be way better.

Again 'the problem' of not catching quite the situation on the ground (west numerical and overall inferiority); there's like no such units as Black Ops amoung the west, and I don't think they'll be way more successful. About the Cobra; you have an option to choose-pick the Cobra; send it then on that HQ when you conquer the 'base' if you think it's better that way wink_o.gif  ... Beside, it's a tank mission, and what would be left of the mission (player's participation), if would be designed on such way.

Without savegames there wouldn't even be the slightest chance for the tank platoon as their support lines are streched too thin.

Exsactly mate; that's just one of the problems (thin streched lines) that you must deal with in this mission. And almost every mission requires some savegames and-or retries in order to mission flow satisfiently. I just hope I've provided enough of them here, so the player will not use that savegame cheat to often or not at all.

Maybe you could-should play this mission one more time (selfish me whistle.gif ); maybe now you'll be more 'inside the situation-story', and maybe you'll now even 'enjoy' the mission.  smile_o.gif

Some more also on OFPEC ...  wink_o.gif

I'm trying to keep the discussion part on this board. smile_o.gif

And I see this could turn into an unending discussion.

I've enjoyed the mission and got a little bit 'inside the situation-story' while playing it. But still the plot is so far-fetched for me that I just can't accept it. For me it's difficulty as end in itself, lacking rationalistic realism in the underlying background story.

Or in other words the mission is technically good but the plan is too unrealistic in my opinion. The only thing you could do about it for me would be adding a mad CO as main character, pursueing his next medal at all costs. He's playing 'all or nothing' while there are obvious other tactical options left. When the tanks fail on any part of his plan, the whole US presence on the island will be erased. The atmosphere is too normal for this crazy plan, turning everyone into cannon fodder without a chance of success. The soldiers seem to know about the retrys. wink_o.gif

Yeah, I'm kind with ya on that too unrealistic plan and-or inserting a mad CO as a main character. It maybe should every mission out there have a such character incorporated inside the mission, then all that war madness would looks a bit less insane ...

But! With a such logic in reality (in WW2 for instance) all that daring and 'mad' actions, missions and operations of all kind would not be possible; the Operation Market Garden (really insane - or insanely daring plan by Gen. Monty) or even a D-Day ... and consequently the victory of west allies over the Third Reich.

So I agree with a constation of some famouse man (don't remember which), which has said that a successful war commander must have an ego in size of a plane carrier, and the brains in size of a penaut. And to be madly brave of course.

Of course, these WWII Operations had casaulties like every military action. For sure even more, as they were difficulty ones.

But I'm sure these Generals weren't acting objectively mad. They didn't plan their operations like this because they wanted the most difficult but shiny solution. They will have picked the option with the highest chance of success by a suitable risk. In Cold Steel the picked option is the shiny one. It has a low chance of success and comes with an unsuitable risk, but turns the CO into a legend should his plan ever succeed.

My point is that I'm judging the mission plan in reality not in OFP, because OFP missions still need to be plausible for me.

Without retrys, everytime-brand-new repairs, tanks reaching an unexpecting HQ and high ranking enemys not beeing able to hide before. - The CO would exhaust his last tanks for a goal they are never able to achieve. Making himself finaly inferior and sealing his fate to become a prisoner of war sooner than he and his forces could evacuate the island. Both of my suggested options, have at least the same small chance of survival and to achieve the main goal, while not leaving the US totally defenseless if something goes wrong.

EDIT: Yes I know, there are no BlackOps available. smile_o.gif But it would always be possible to improvise and find three volunteers.

Yes, some of those Generals wanted-seeked the most difficult and shiny solution, there's no doubt about it (some of them had a desperate wish to be remembered by the history as a great millitary commanders), and I'm quite sure they've acted objectively mad; if in operation planning is coldy incalculated a rate of casualties from 65 to 85% in the first wave (D-Day), then ... But such things are 'common' in the warfare.

As is 'common' this mission, and the picked option is not a shiny one as you say. Every mission, from the most simple and 'safe' to the most daring and 'suicidal' can fail, end in disaster and so on and so for. But it can also succeed, and have a decisive influence to the final outcome of the conflict. I can't see, where's that unsuitable risk here, in Cold Steel. You don't need to be a great millitary expert to see, that in given situation there're only two options for the west; to addmit the defeat and to retreat-evacuate from the island, or to try to perform a daring, last resort action, which could somehow ease the situation for the west, and allow them to continue to fight (till the possible reinforcements and so on). I'm 100% sure that every HQ with the right men on the right place will choose the second option, and it will not choose-addmit a (shamely) defeat to the last possible moment. Btw, those tanks are not like the only tanks that the west have but yes, they're one of the last, and they're not going all in that assault, now that would be really stupid from them, wouldn't be? And the enemy is awared of the enemy attack, but where should go that enemy field commanding staff? In some underground cavern? Flee into the mountains? They'll be really a role models and a fine exsample for the soldiers to follow, don't you think? They're asured in their superiority, so they fell safe there. But with that top notch tank commander(you wink_o.gif ) at the helm of that armoured squad they're for a nasty surprise ... But all those things are only a small 'realistical caprices', don't you egree?

I must addmit I'm a bit confused with your way of judging of mission plan in reality (look who's talking about the realism; an author of a highly unrealistic mission, you zombie lover you! tounge2.gif  ), also I'm confused with your ideas-suggestions how to make this mission more realistic. Both of your ideas-suggestions (Black Ops and the air strike) are -yes- unrealistic and don't fit in the mission at all, because I repeat there's no Black Ops (but you're still insisting on some sort of 'voluntiers'wink_o.gif, and no some F16 or whatever escadrilla. And what would those voluntiers achieve, putting aside that then this would be a 'black op' mission? Destroy about 15-20 tanks like this armoured squad do? Kill about 200 men like this armoured squad do? Seize that enemy base and gain some territory after all? Or just sneak into the enemy HQ compound (skilful and sneeky as the regulars are), then mine the bulding and the radio tower, then seek for the surviving officers and excute them? I doubt even that. You see, there's not just that main objective, but also a very significant 'side effect' of this mission; huge enemy losses, which largely wage off the risk of this mission, and the prospect of own casualties. That's also a big momentum of this mission, which along with the destruction of that HQ creates a building block for the west in their attempt to turn the tide.

Fiction doesn't automaticaly have to exclude realism in it's non-fictional parts.

Our discussion is becoming pointless. I'm out before it becomes personal.

Well mate, our discussion has become ... not pointles as a whole, but lost in pointless, IMHO even trivial details, which 'bothers you' in this mission, already few posters ago.

My remark about your mission was meant purely as a joke, you know I like your mission, I'm just not 'happy' about the participation of the zombies in it. But you're the author, and I accepted the scenario, and I don't trying to search or dig for any holes or flaws in it, I just relax, send my brains on vacation, and enjoy while I play it. So should you in this case if you can. So, if you feel offenced, please don't be. smile_o.gif

But one thing is certain, mate; when fiction took place, then there's no realism in any segement and in any matter at all. If Americans have zombies for foes, or the Russians will fight against Klingons, there would be apsolutely nothing realistic, not even driving a jeep figuratively speaking, not for me anyway. Because fiction by its nature and its definition denies and rules out any realism.