Page 58 of 242 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Military Humor

Warrant Officer
    Gimme some time and i'll show you guys that a bullet fired all the way up can not kill you...
    I'll have to find a certain book to show it so give me some time, i also need to translate it to english, this sux cuz my english sux but i'll give it a try...

~Some people say that i'm crazy, i say that i'm special~
    </span><table border=\"0\" align=\"center\" width=\"95%\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id=\"QUOTE\">Balschoiw:Whenever I am tempted to think you are a bit mad, you just manage to keep your car on the road and master the curve Dark Light</td></tr></table><span =\'\'>

Warrant Officer
    Found the book, i&#39;ll try to translate it, don&#39;t expect too much.
    The book is a book about a Belgian radio program, during this program you could call to the radio station and ask a question about weird science stuff. After they&#39;ve found a good question other ppl can call the station to say what they think is the truth.
    The goal is to make an expert call the station, this man or woman will then solve the whole &#39;mystery&#39;. I&#39;m not really fond of these programs, but hey, at least this situation shows us that it can be pretty helpful

Ok, here we go...

A bullet that gets shot all the way up, doesn&#39;t go back in the same way, we all know that the bullet goes all the way up, then it stops, and then it goes all the way down. Now we&#39;ve all learned in school that the enery of the bullet at the liftoff is equal to the enery of the bullet when it comes down. I can&#39;t explain this much better cuz my english sucks but i suppose most of you know what i&#39;m talking about.

These laws about the enery are all true, HOWEVER, they are all true in theory, that means some things are not being thought of.
    When bullets go up, they are very stable, because bullets kinda turn in the air due to the shape of the barrel, right?
    When the bullet goes up he already loses some enery by the resistance of the air (i dunno what i need to call this, but you all know what i mean, right ), once he reaches his highest point the bullet loses a huge amount of enery.
    A bullet that reaches his highest point doesn&#39;t turn 180° and fall back down, no, the bullet just falls down with his &#39;side&#39; pointing towards the ground. This creates a lot of extra resistance by the air.
    It has been proven that a bullet that weights 9 gram and who leaves with a speed of 3000km/h (&#33;&#33;&#33 and who has 3000J kinetical enery (sorry for the spelling and translation) and if the bullet gets fired in a 89° angle, the bullet will fall down about 100m away from where it was fired from, by then, the bullet will have lost a huuuge amount of it&#39;s energy and it will have only 30 J enery left. Enough to hurt you, but absolutely not enough to cause serious damage, so trust me just for this once, it won&#39;t kill you...

Once again, science has won...

Sergeant Major
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ 09 May 2003,18:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskiesrule @ 15 April 2003,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">At the end of the war, in my home city of Sunderland, all the warships fired off some round in celibration, but sombody forgot to tell the magazine men to send up blankes.
    Well, the shells came down in the middle of the city and killed some people.

Can you imagen surviving the blitz, and the whole war for 6 years, and then being killed like that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ppl killed by bullets that were fired in the sky? ***Doesn&#39;t look very likely to me, a bullet that gets shot all the way up and then drops down will hurt if it hits you but it won&#39;t kill you. ***With some luck it won&#39;t even penetrate your skin...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i don&#39;t think they were killed by "bullets". warships usually shoot grenades, and they usually explode when they hit something.

\"No one can escape me on Black Death I ride
    When kissed by the sword of Vengeance
    Your head lays there by your side\"
    ~ManOwaR - Dark Avenger

Military Stupidity - Contradiction in terms

it was a lame and feeble attempt at a joke.

5.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #575
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ 10 May 2003,05:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It has been proven that a bullet that weights 9 gram and who leaves with a speed of 3000km/h (&#33;&#33;&#33 and who has 3000J kinetical enery (sorry for the spelling and translation) and if the bullet gets fired in a 89° angle, the bullet will fall down about 100m away from where it was fired from, by then, the bullet will have lost a huuuge amount of it&#39;s energy and it will have only 30 J enery left. Enough to hurt you, but absolutely not enough to cause serious damage, so trust me just for this once, it won&#39;t kill you...

Once again, science has won...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is a really bad conclusion, it is how the energy is dissipated that matters. The bullet is sharp has a small contact area, this "proof" has valid numbers, quite a heavy bullet, and proves that the terminal velocity of the bullet is 300Km/h, 1/10th of starting speed.

The problem is assuming a 9g lead object in the shape of a bullet doesn&#39;t travel through someones scull or torso (near neck). All the energy will be transferred into a single point, and no part of the human body takes that very well. Hit the right spot and you are toast.

EDIT: I was bored, check this out: http://perpetualbeta.com/woifm/archive/002290.html

"Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein

Please report Arma 3 bugs in the Bug Tracker

First Lieutenant
    All science and speculation aside, here in Los Angeles there are deaths almost every year when idiots fire weapons into the air to "celebrate" certain holidays like the Fourth of July. These unfortunate consequences of such reckless behavior cannot be argued with.

Warrant Officer
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ 10 May 2003,03:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ 10 May 2003,05:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It has been proven that a bullet that weights 9 gram and who leaves with a speed of 3000km/h (&#33;&#33;&#33 and who has 3000J kinetical enery (sorry for the spelling and translation) and if the bullet gets fired in a 89° angle, the bullet will fall down about 100m away from where it was fired from, by then, the bullet will have lost a huuuge amount of it&#39;s energy and it will have only 30 J enery left. ***Enough to hurt you, but absolutely not enough to cause serious damage, so trust me just for this once, it won&#39;t kill you...

Once again, science has won...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is a really bad conclusion, it is how the energy is dissipated that matters. ***The bullet is sharp has a small contact area, this "proof" has valid numbers, quite a heavy bullet, and proves that the terminal velocity of the bullet is 300Km/h, 1/10th of starting speed.

The problem is assuming a 9g lead object in the shape of a bullet doesn&#39;t travel through someones scull or torso (near neck). ***All the energy will be transferred into a single point, and no part of the human body takes that very well. ***Hit the right spot and you are toast.

EDIT: I was bored, check this out: ***http://perpetualbeta.com/woifm/archive/002290.html[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "The .22 would hurt like hell and raise a lump on your skull. The larger rounds could kill you, and every year, some do. I *always* stay indoors on New Year&#39;s eve."

Found this on the link you gave, i suppose we&#39;ll just have to use this as a conclusion.... this guy does look like he knows a lot about it...

(Bangs head on desk)

We agreed that a higher velocity bullet could kill you, i dunno about a twenty two but why don&#39;t you try dropping a small bullet from 2 miles up on to your head?

I doubt it would be a clever thing to do

1. Consider why its unadvised to drop coins off tall buildings

2. If a Naval ship ship fired &#39;rounds&#39; its quite possible they were 14" shells. Considering a 14" shell is capable of inflicting considerable damage to a armoured battleship, imagine what it will do to a house. Even if it didn&#39;t go off, the weight of the shell would crush you to a pulp. I imgaine the idea was to fire star shells (Big flares) but someone fucked up and fired live rounds.

Ouch

To discuss abour ballistics, please start another thread. current flow is going directly against intention of this thread - military STUPIDITY.
    Please read Forum Rules

Page 58 of 242 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast