Sign in to follow this  
max power

50/60's era World War III mod

I just had this idea for a mod. I don't think I'll ever get to working on it, because I already have projects that demand my attention, but I thought I would share the concept with you guys.

Anyways, this mod would take place in an alternate past, where the cold war quickly escalated into a third world war. War equipment for this mod would be 50's vintage, but with concept and scifi elements from that era. Warfare would be conducted using techniques of the general Patton school. It would be total war, harsh and brutal.

Weapons and equipment would reflect the 50's/60's era total war scenario. Main battle rifles would have wooden furniture (such as the m1, m14 and ak47), and submachineguns would be limited to first or second generation types. War machinery would use the tanks of the day, but with all of the insane atomic nastiness of the military think-tanks of the day. Atomic tipped artillery shells (which would exist more as a plot device or scripted event) and (some) nuclear powered aircraft. Given the higher dependency on atomic weapons, most infantry would be equipped with some kind of protective suit. Concept aircraft of the 1950's and 1960's would have been rushed into production, so the more likely concepts like the x-109 VTOL aircraft and the Valkyrie bomber would have become operational.

This would be Armageddon. It would be the war that is alluded to in so many post appocalyptic dystopian stories. Soldiers fighting for survival in what is becoming a radioactive wasteland alongside vehicles of insane power and utilitarian crudeness.

If you would like me to seek out some examples of the machines I've talked about, just ask. Here's a model site that has the aircraft I mentioned, available by genre and era.

Plastic Fantastic

Wow, I really like that idea. Although it is horrible nasty.

Some of the concepts on that site would make great addons. I never knew about the nuclear bombers, they look like something off Thunderbirds. biggrin_o.gif

I like the idea, too... interesting to see how this evolves... tounge2.gif

I'm happy to help, although I can't actually do pretty much anything helpful.

Hmmm, Valkyrie... great plane, seen footage of both of the prototypes flying... I wonder how this'll fit to OFP. Well, we'll see.

Really nice idea (well, nuclear war... icon_rolleyes.gif). I hope this evolves into something. thumbs-up.gif

Daniel @ Nov. 23 2005,22:56)]I never knew about the nuclear bombers, they look like something off Thunderbirds.  biggrin_o.gif

I saw a document about them on the TV some time ago. It was said that it never flew. US Air force was only able to cary a reactor in a B-36 bomber althought it was really ineffective. Rather than for bombers, they developed reactors for submarines.

i think the russians made an atomic bomber to, though it wasn't very safe for the crew or the area it flew over crazy_o.gif

There was a race between USA and the Soviet Union about who could create the biggest nuclear explosion during the fifties and sixties, after Soviet

created the "Tsar bomba" both they an USA realised that they were playing with the fire.

Though this was late october 1961.

Yep, I've seen some nasty specs and pics of that Tsar bomber. Pretty useless, but unimaginably powerful. And that wasn't even the full potential of technology at the time. They could have made bigger, but there was no point.  crazy_o.gif

The most powerful warhead anyone carries these days is the 100 megaton warhead. The Russkies blasted a hole out east with a 1000 megaton device - still the most powerful weapon detonated after forty years. Scary.

Would be interesting, fleets of nuclear armed bombers, nuclear armed submarines, tactical nuclear armed troops in West Germany, India, Scandinavia...Could be an epic mod.

We'd have to come with a good story that prevents both nations from annihalating each other to the point where combat is impossible. tounge2.gif Other than that, it is an awesome and very nasty concept.

@Harley. That was 40 years ago. Imagine what they could do now. crazy_o.gif

The story would just be that the concept of MAD would be identified. The cold war was a nuclear standoff to avoid total war. If total war had already started, perhaps you could write in that there was an agreement made at the outset not to employ any strategic nuclear arms, accepting that if the agreement was broken, that it would assuredly result in the end of the earth. This would be a good device for a story, aswell. Perhaps there is a partisan army trying to employ strategic arms? This is kind of the lazy way to go about it, but it's at least logical.

After the first wave of the "nuke-army",there won't be anything left.Both armies would be dead. icon_rolleyes.gif

But sounds cool. biggrin_o.gif

The most powerful warhead anyone carries these days is the 100 megaton warhead. The Russkies blasted a hole out east with a 1000 megaton device - still the most powerful weapon detonated after forty years. Scary.

Since the most powerful weapon ever used was 58 megatons, I think you might be slightly off there wink_o.gif

The Tsar Bomba was designed for 100 megatons, but the Russians only ever bothered making a 58 megaton device. as for today, most American warheads are around 500kt, not sure about the Russians. 1000 megatons!?!?! Shit, that would just wipe out a very sizeable chunk of Russia!I wonder if they would call it the Gigaton Bomb icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmm, I read my figure in Edward Teller's memoir, therefore i'll send a note to his estate suggesting they change it in future editions. Turns out Tsar Bomba was only 58MT after all? They got the message across anyway...

Thats my point, the technology was there for a much bigger device, but only half that was ever actually used. crazy_o.gif