Sign in to follow this  
raptor 6 actual

DEM to WrpTool trouble

I have this .dem file and it's labeled like this (8699_75m.dem) and I forgot where I downloaded it from. Anyways, I've tried to find tutorials, and read the manuals for Wilbur and for WRPTool, but nothing helps me correctly convert the dem to a Lat/Long mesh.txt file in Wilbur. Everytime I follow the instructions, it actually saves the dem into some sort of .PNG file.

Do I have the wrong .dem file, or what? I mean, Wilbur opens the file, it shows the land features, but wtf and I doing wrong.

Before I get hammered for this question, please note that I did honestly put in some effort to researching answers before posting. Thanks for any help.

yeah, i have my own DEMs that i've been unable to get into wrpedit, i'm still trying to figure it out myself...

i suggest checking out some of the tutorials at ofpec for getting DEMs into ofp:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?category=1_8

also, i'm pretty sure this forum is for problems with playing ofp; world editing questions generally go in this forum:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=39

@Pablo, Yeah, thanks for the tut link, but I'm having trouble getting it into WRPTool, not WRPEdit, not sure if there is a big difference, but I'm suspecting there is something that separates the two.

Also, this topic is in here, because the other link you posted is for Visitor. I'm sure wherever I posted it, it would bring complaints. So I figured here. banghead.gif

Cheers mate.

The tutorials on the subject are generally written for WRPedit, nothing better really than the now gone OFP-OJR original that documented the creation of the West Leach Spring Lake map.

There's a number of WRPtool related posts in the Visitor forums, so I don't think it's a problem since it's all map editing basics. If *certain people* (cough-cough) would see the forests for the p3d's and pay attention to supporting the mapmaking instead of making silly fights over labels (like the baseless accusations against OFPEC for 'exclusiveness'...) there'd be more happy gamers and modders.

Anyways, your problem is because you're not saving it correctly in Wilbur. It's a real crank in a lot of ways, you need to pay very close attention and verify that you do indeed have "export to lat/lon" selected, and to be safe make a new file and don't overwrite.

Yeah, I've paid very close attention to the file extension that I am trying to save to. When it starts to save, it even says that it's implementiong Lat/Long mesh .txt and shows an indicator bar with progress slider.

I thought, "What if it's just my specific computer that's causing the problem?" IE: does my version of windows maybe associate these Lat/Long mesh .txt files as some .PNG (microscam picture viewer) file?

Anyways, I'm just wondering if the .dem file is the wrong size? Or if I should just introduce my computer to the wonderful world of flight.

Quote[/b] ]

the now gone OFP-OJR original that documented the creation of the West Leach Spring Lake map.

Hmmm......the above mentioned tutorial has has been sort of salvaged and is now available at OFPEC....at the very link given by .pablo.

The author, of course was Gren (Grenadier).

Planck

From my previous experiences, getting a dem into wrp edit, or tool, is rather simple. Getting a dem that is the correct size or even getting a dem is the hard part.

It took me a few days to acquire a dem for my "South Armagh" terrian, for the NIMOD. And i had to pay for it...

It sounds like you have a new version of wilbur, as i had a similar problem a while back, and i was forced to revert back to a older version.

You also might find that the dem is either too large or too small. If you have any image editing software i would suggest you try and resize it to a average image size. 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 and so forth.

If you still cant get it to work, i would be happy to take a look at the dem for you, and try and get it into wrp and then you can carry on with the rest of your ideas.

Smiley smile_o.gif

i use microdem go to http://data.geocomm.com/dem/ you can find there a ton of dems as the microdem application too,

i've made a tutorial of how you can export a file with microdem to XYZ and then with height converter you can convert it into txt format and import into wrpedit.

if you lkike to send this tutorial please email me spartky@otenet.gr

check also the thread to map editing/visitor of mine there you can see how you can import your wrp to visitor.

yay.gif

Grr, stupid internet service. Anyways, I was asking you if you could try and convert it on your computer for me. It's a 75m.dem of Parris Island, SC which is the Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

I had the same troubles with Wilbur as well. I made certain that I chose lat/lon txt output and just deleted ..png and typed .txt instead.

The file I just made from a greyscale bmp-image was exported by Wilbur as txt. WrpTool had no complaints. Just checking.

The greyscale image was made in Microdem. I converted a 90 meter DEM to a 50 meter UTM file. Made a correction to the height range in Wilbur (scale x 0.4, minus 30 meter).

Have made a very raw terrain of 6.4 km by 6.4 km. Not many objects on it yet.