red oct

Music Recommendations

music was a fairly a important part for OFP, so i created this thread to see if anybody had listened to any good albums they may have just got.

Today, I picked up MCR's new album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge" and it's very good. anyone interested can watch some of the music video's on the group's web page in the media section

http://www.mychemicalromance.com/

i highly recommend watching the music video for "Helena", it's the best song on the album.

• Like 1

Well, the albums I've enjoyed so far this year are:

NIN - With Teeth

Open Hand - You and Me

Black Label Society - Mafia

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Thunderstone - Tools of Destruction

I was a bit disappointed with both the new Bloodhound Gang and Electric Six albums...

When you say new music they just got, do you mean brand new bands or just albums bought recently?

Of the albums I've gotten this year I think only three of them were recorded this century. The last two albums I bought were recorded in 1975 and 1968.

It's funny you bring this up though as I was contemplating visiting the record store tomorrow. Maybe some one will mention an album I would not have thought about other wise.

Of the albums I've gotten this year I think only three of them were recorded this century. The last two albums I bought were recorded in 1975 and 1968.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - recently I've been getting a lot of older stuff. Partly it's my musical taste is changing (Of the albums I've bought that came out within the last 5 years....there's a good many that got passed down to my 15 year old sister as I wondered "what was I thinking?"), and partly it's the reality of being a poor college student - I usually go to CD Warehouse and buy used CDs at $5-10 a piece

Stuff I've been listening a lot to lately:

Black Sabbath - Reunion (live 1998)

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle Volume I

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

Pearl Jam - Rearview Mirror (greatest hits 1995-2003)

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around (thanks to the title track being on the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, and further praise of it by supah smile_o.gif )

Matthew Good Band - Underdogs <- might end up getting his latest, "In a Coma" - greatest hits, even though I have most of the songs on other albums, for the music video DVD that comes with it.

I've only bought one album this year (I think).

Kamelot - The black halo.

I heard of the band by accident on one of those SMS/music-video programs on tv some night. I thought the song (March of Mephisto) was catchy so I heard a demo and some more songs at Kamelot's site. I was convinced that Bruce Dickinson was the singer untill I saw the member-page  huh.gif

They sound so alike and have the same style of singing.

Highly recomended music if you like Iron Maiden with a tad more heavy and somewhat agressive metal.

Its the only album I know that I like every single song. I think they are all great, but my biggest favourite The haunting (somewhere in time) really reminds of the style of Maiden but with the sound Maiden should have had.

Albums I've bought this year:

Bathory - Nordland II

Einherjer - Blot

Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns

Vintersorg - Till Fjälls

Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor

Windir - Arntor

Great music if you like black (Windir) / death / viking metal. But I think I should've bought Einherjer's Odin owns ye all, Amon Amarth's Versus the World and Thyrfing's Urkraft instead of the albums I did buy from them.

Guano Apes, AFI, The Used ...mh, let's something more..more

Cradle of filth, Dimmu borgir (:D)

BTW check that : Psykup it's from my town(songs of the albums play in the background inlove.gif )

Check out the new Kreator Enemy of God CD, there's a song called Suicide Terrorist, a perfect song for a mission intro.

Best albums I've heard in the last year that were released in the last year are:

Arcade Fire-Funeral

Nine Inch Nails-With Teeth

Bright Eyes-I'm Wide Awake It's Morning

Bloc Party-Silent Alarm

The Go! Team-Thunder Lightening Flash

Franz Ferdinand-You Could Have It So Much Better

White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan

Well I did indeed go to the record store today. I returned with two albums, The Door's Waiting for the sun and Led Zeppelin III. I guess that means I still can't join the new music club.

I did buy Godsmacks album faceless last year, does that count?

Quote[/b] ]Stuff I've been listening a lot to lately:

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around (thanks to the title track being on the Dawn of the Dead(thanks to the title track being on the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, and further praise of it by supah  )

Matthew Good Band - Underdogs <- might end up getting his latest, "In a Coma" - greatest hits, even though I have most of the songs on other albums, for the music video DVD that comes with it.

That's a good list I like each of the bands you mentioned. Never heard of Matthew Good band, I'll have to look into them.  

Top 5 bands I've been listening to recently are,

1. Pink Floyd

2. Steve Miller

3. The Doors

4. The Cars

5. Bil... uh never mind on numer five, I bet no one likes them and would think I'm crazy

Ah Well I did indeed go to the record store today. I returned with two albums, The Door's Waiting for the sun and Led Zeppelin III. I guess that means I still can't join the new music club.

I did buy Godsmacks album faceless last year, does that count?

Quote[/b] ]Stuff I've been listening a lot to lately:

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around (thanks to the title track being on the Dawn of the Dead(thanks to the title track being on the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, and further praise of it by supah  )

That's a good list I like each of the bands you mentioned. Never heard of Matthew Good band, I'll have to look into them.  

Top 5 bands I've been listening to recently are,

1. Pink Floyd

2. Steve Miller

3. The Doors

4. The Cars

5. Bil... uh never mind on numer five, I bet no one likes them and would think I'm crazy

Ah, how could I forget Pink Floyd! I can't get enough of The Wall smile_o.gif.

Anyone who's into Godsmack - I'd recommend getting some Alice in Chains..., they're named after an Alice in Chains song afterall!

(Liked the self titled Godsmack CD...not much after that)

Matt Good (he's now without the Band :P) is a Canadian artist....don't know how big he is outside of Canada, but he's one of my favourites - puts on an awesome live show as well smile_o.gif. Try looking for "In a Coma" - Greatest Hits double disk with bonus DVD of all his music videos

*edit* review of it Here

Now listening to... a band I read about some days ago:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/10/02/2056210.shtml?tid=141&tid=17

Quote[/b] ]Harvey Danger, a Seattle based rock band, has released their newest album Little by little for free mp3 download. They are doing this partially as an Internet publicity experiment, and partially as a stand against the Music Industry's attack on filesharing. [...]

I even consider buying that album.

First (and afaik only new CD) this year: Green Day "American Idiot".

I don't like the current music "market", therefore I don't buy or otherwise obtain modern music, with named exception.

But I bought many older records to complete some private collections (Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Supertramp, Status Quo). In August I discovered Metallica "Metallica" (Black Album) as LP...

Other music listened to this year:

"Die Ärzte" bootlegs -- http://www.kill-them-all.de/

Pearl Jam or Hornsby, live recordings -- http://bt.etree.org/

During the last weeks I used to listen to internet radio streams (using xmms* and/or streamripper**):

EggRadio -- http://www.eggradio.com/

All Southern Rock -- http://allsouthernrock.com/

SKY.fm All Hit 70s -- http://www.sky.fm/channel/playlist/hit70s

SKY.fm Best of the 80s -- http://www.sky.fm/channel/playlist/the80s

* http://www.xmms.org/

** http://gstreamripper.sourceforge.net/

yay.gif <-- bananaman still rules

I think I've already collected all the old school that turns my crank (all studio recordings from the Doors and Led Zeppelin all the Pink Floyd that matters, Jethro Tull, the Band, CCR, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan).

90's/seattle:

-soundgarden

-pearl jam

-alice in chains

-stone temple pilots

Newer worthwhile stuff, most are below pop radio radar:

-Modest Mouse

-Broken Social Scene (got tickets for show in Ottawa)

-Apostle of Hustle

-Sigur Ros (saw 'em live in Brisbane)

-Eggstone

-Mike Doughty

-Gomez

Harvey Danger

Hey, wow...I remember them....how long ago was that? must have been my early-mid years of high school.

"Paranoia, Paranoia - everybody's coming to get me!" biggrin_o.gif

pretty cool of them to do - I remember The Offspring tried to do the same with Original Prankster (though IMO their last worthwhile album was Ixnay) - but Sony threatened to sue.

Oh, one group I forgot: Beatallica!

http://www.beatallica.com/

Never heard of the band before. Some very funny cover art on their page. Need to check out their songs when I get home.

Sgto.%20Anger.jpg

rofl.gif

Unsorted:

Soulwax and all projects they have like 2 many dj´s, etc.

Kaiser Chiefs

2Raumwohnung

Front Line Assembly

Gorillaz

Hot Rail

Jane´s Addiction

Johnny Cash

Filter

Audioslave

Soundgarden

S.O.D.

Machinehead

lot´s of Brasil Bossa, Bebel Gilberto, etc.

Sepultura

Nailbomb

Nine Inch Nails

Seed

Bootsy Collins

Old school Rap like Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, etc.

I guess I could keep going on for hours

smile_o.gif

Once I heard "The Reason" from Hoobastank, All I could imagine was a cutscene with a blackop team exiting the scene of their hanidwork. How cool!! Yeah? thumbs-up.gif

On my ipod right now:

Massive Attack

Mojave 3

Lovage

Migala

Arcade Fire

King Tubby

The Faces

Nick Drake

Faithless

The Revolutionaries

The Upsetters

Bunzu Sounds

Alpha (lots of Alpha, actually)

Boards of Canada

Tricky

Macha Loved Bedhead

Lots of dub, lots of African psychadelic, lots of mood music. Good stuff.

What I am listening the most at the moment:

Crystal Method

Saliva

Filter

Prodigy

3 Doors Down

Tool

Oasis

smile_o.gif

• Like 1

Christ... long list potentially from me, but a select few would be:

Massive Attack

Jamiroquai

Leftfield

Faithless

Kaiser Chiefs (Had the pleasure of meeting them at the bar i run)

Ash

Franz Ferdinand (Had the pleasure of meeting them too at my bar)

Turin Brakes

Oasis

Blur

Gorrilaz (Their new albumn is sublime)

Greenday

The Killers

I know i've missed loads of others i regularly enjoy listening to, but those are some of the better smile_o.gif

*resists urge to type stupidly long list*

Errm, where to start..

Radiohead - OK Computer/Pablo Honey albums

Nirvana - In Utero

Slayer - Erm, Soundtrack to the Apopclypse? (Box set)

Audioslave - Audioslave

Deicide - Sepents Of The Light

Lamb of God - As The Palaces Burn

Machinehead - No album in particular

Muse - Origin Of Symatry

Opeth - Deliverance or Ghost Reveries

Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

Rammstien - Mutter

Redhot Chilli Peppers - By The Way

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

System of a Down - Toxicity

Tool - Any

Slightly odd combination, but oh well

- Ben

red hot chilli peppers, foo fighters and nirvana! I knew i forgot some biggrin_o.gif

*resists urge to type stupidly long list*

Errm, where to start..

Radiohead - OK Computer/Pablo Honey albums

I know a lot of people think Radiohead disappeared up their own arses after OK Computer, but I would strongly reccommend getting into Amnesiac, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief as well they're incredible albums. Songs to start with are Morning Bell, Idioteque, How to Disappear Completely (from Kid A) Pyramid Song, Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box, I Might Be Wrong (from Amnesiac) and There There, Sit Down Stand Up, Where I End And You Begin (Hail To The Thief)

After you get into those albums you can't go back to the Pablo Honey and Bends period!

Has anyone hear heard of a band called The Cooper Temple Clause? Their album "Kick Up The Fire And Let The Flames Break Loose" is absolutely incredible, think of Pink Floyd crossed over with Muse. I think it's been deleted now, cos I saw it going for Å1.97 in Music Zone and I can't find it anywhere now, so if you can get a hold of a copy I advise you take it because this album will become a rarity!

• Like 1