Sign in to follow this  
—=R.I.P.=—™

Win 2003 server woes

For some reason the other night my dedicated Win 2003 OFP server stopped being able to resolve an ip address causing the server status not to be uploaded loaded to OFPWatch.  It is also unable connect to download  any antivirus updates, win updates etc., plus IE can not find any website out side of my LAN.  OFPwatch and OFP along with my TS server still work fine, you just can't see the servers in any browser list.  This server has been up and running for about two years with out until now.  Any thoughts on how to fix this are appreciated.

Sounds like a DNS problem.

Check if you got a DNS via command prompt. Type "ipconfig -all" to watch if there is entered a DNS.

If there is no DNS entered retreive the DNS IP from your server provider and enter it on the lan connection settings.

If there is already a DNS do following:

First stop all running firewalls!

Then try to ping the DNS IP shown in ipconfig. If it answers try to ping any website like "ping www.web.de"

If it doesn't answer try to ping its IP like "ping 217.72.195.42" (web.de)

If the pinging IPs works but doesnt work with FQDNs your DNS is not working proper. Contact your support team then!

If all is right something other has to be the source...

Report failures here

Well, I did what you said. The DNS entries are all there but they can not be pinged.  I'll keep trying to figure it out and if I do not by this weekend, looks like I'll be reinstalling the OS.  This does give me a reason to finally set up the scsii drives in raid 0  wink_o.gif .  

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I did what you said. The DNS entries are all there but they can not be pinged.

So you can't get answer on pinging www.web.de!?

If this is true it is not a problem of your pc. Which provider do you got and which DNS entries?

The server is running on my home network. The server and the other computers on the network all have been using the same DNS entries for well over a year. Only the server is having problems. I am and have been using a router to share the connection.

DNS entries:

ISP is Cablevision.

I took another look at the router to see if something had changed cuasing the server problem.  As a test though I changed the servers DNS entries to the ones that the router has selected.  It works now.  What I don't get is why all of a sudden the server is having problems with the DNS entries that the other computers are using with a problem.

If it works now, fine. But can you test using only one of the DNS entries? I tested all 3 and only one was answering.

Test 167.206.3.162 only.