Sign in to follow this  
Jay L.Macrae

Killed? Keep playing!  &  Ch/Sel,Scroll&Command

While playing Ofp the other day and suddenly getting myself killed again, I came to an idea, that I thought is worth mentioning.

When I got killed, I had a squad of 12 men under my control. Now while the camera started zooming out of my dead body, I recalled playing games like Age of Empires and Civilisation.

In those games getting killed didn't stop me from playing any further. I just chose the next warrior I had under my control and kept fighting! Catch my drift? I mean, why not enable the player to keep playing as some other soldier who was under his control, before he got killed? Of course this would mess up the campaigns in the current game, but in Game2... ?

Another thing I liked from these kinds of games, was the way i could command my men.

In Game2 i would imagine it working like this: You choose the Command view (The one that allows you to see your soldiers from up above), press the right mouse button to choose a soldier, or drag a box over several of them, to choose as many as you need.

Then scroll through different commands using the mouse scrolling wheel (while doing that, the mouse cursor changes as do the functions... Move; Attack; Mount; Support; etc), stopping on the command you need and pointing the mouse cursor over the vehicle or enemy you want your soldier/s to move to, mount or destroy... Simple as that!

The same choose/select, scroll and command thing could work in the 1'st person view as well, just use the F1-F12 buttons to choose your soldiers (Btw it would be great if all of my 12 soldiers could have a few more under their control as well, but this function has probably been suggested before)

Of course to keep the scrolling system properly useable there is no need to have functions like "GET IN" scrollable while pointing at an enemy soldier (perverse eh?), a tree or a manned enemy vehicle... So a kind of a Smart-scroll System.

Oh and using keyboard and scrollwheel combos you could also scroll throught different formation variations and other functions.

If kept simple, this system would be much easier to use than the current one.

Unless I'm mistaken, in OFP you can respawn into an AI after you die. In MP at least.

Unless I'm mistaken, in OFP you can respawn into an AI after you die.  In MP at least.

No thats Ghost Recon wink_o.gif .

In OFP a player respawns totally anew , i have yet to see if this is possible i dont play MP much but have played OFP in all formats DM/CTF and all and have never spawned in to an AI before .

Unless I'm mistaken, in OFP you can respawn into an AI after you die. In MP at least.

No thats Ghost Recon wink_o.gif .

In OFP a player respawns totally anew , i have yet to see if this is possible i dont play MP much but have played OFP in all formats DM/CTF and all and have never spawned in to an AI before .

In all formats, DM/CTF? There's more formats that that biggrin_o.gif

I believe we were playing the "Return to Eden/Everon" (Coop) on a server one time, I think I got whacked and came back almost immediately as another AI soldier. Actually it may have been Frenchman that TK'd me thefinger.gif <- That's for you Frenchie biggrin_o.gif

Unless I'm mistaken, in OFP you can respawn into an AI after you die.  In MP at least.

No thats Ghost Recon  wink_o.gif .

In all formats, DM/CTF?  There's more formats that that  biggrin_o.gif

I believe we were playing the "Return to Eden/Everon" (Coop) on a server one time, I think I got whacked and came back almost immediately as another AI soldier.  Actually it may have been Frenchman that TK'd me thefinger.gif <- That's for you Frenchie  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah yeh i know there are more just didnt bother listing them. CTI/Co-op are a few more. Then u have the Chain of command style generalistic style game and a few others i cant remember right now.

Which sort of a coop is this u mention in which u spawn as AI? I havent played in such a map.

Harnu is right, you can respawn to ai group member. You had to put something like respawn = group; to description.ext

Erm... you can spawn into your squads ai in MP if you snuff it. It's "Respawn = "GROUP";" in the description.ext of the mission. I don't think it's possible in single player though, unless it's scripted somehow (actually I'm sure I've played some SP missions where I respawned into my AI).

Ok then it might be possible , as i said i havent played OFP much but have tried most if not all formats of the gameplay. I guess this spawning inside AI isnt common on most coop maps.

yeah those who can, can script almost anything. But I can't script shit tounge2.gif

Anyway, I haven't played any MP or SP game with such scripts yet, but I'd like to see this function (if feasable) and others incorporated into game2 as a standard so it's always available.

huh.gif wow are you guys serious?! ive seen this type of respawn hundreds of times. i thought every one knew about it?? just try it your self! make a quik mission, make sure the player is in a squad, save it, then make a description ext in the mission folder, type 'Respawn="Group";' in there, .pbo it, make your own prvate game on LAN and play the mission. When you die youll respawn into one of your AI team mates that where in your group. When every one in your group is dead you turn into the good old birdy.

About Commanding:

It should be like it is in the old Close Combat Games (I-V) where you get the top view but you can't see enemy units unless someone has a line of sight on them. Otherwise it would be too easy you could just go and do the command view everytime you think you're about to get ambushed and find the guys that way.

Yeh, the respawn group thing is what is needed...

It's a little flawed, in that if you get killed by a greande, and the AI you respawn to is near, you respawn as the dying person, and "Me was killed" appears for each unit killed icon_rolleyes.gif

But yeh, I agree, in part.. I think the command view should be set-able by the mission designer, so you can either totaly disable it, have it like it is now, or only show what your squad sees. Some times it does work in a mission, being "powerfull"

- Ben

The commander view will completely change OFP style. It wont be realistic no more and make it more into an RTS.

There is a commander view, hit M, it's the map. For a while I did nothing but run missions where you sit back in a command tent and send your squad out using the map. Watch it, tell them where to go, listen to what they say, give them orders and try and get them to finish the mission without you ever leaving the command tent. It's a really different and kind of cool way to play OFP. Doesn't work for all missions of course, you usually have to design your own.