Sign in to follow this  
wildo

Wake Island

To let you in on one of my projects for PW45, I thought Id let you see Wake Island that ive been doing for some time, using actual maps from ww2 (at least I hope thye areish)

Ive made it as realistic as possible to OFP standards, unfortunatly there arnt alot of pictures of the Wake island buildings and bridges, but ive found some which are now being made.

id like help finding more pictures of buildings and also maybe a proper texture artist with expertise in making new ground textures (i.e. airport textures) smile_o.gif

wakecomparison.jpg

Comparisons between mine and Udie's original wake, as you can see a considerable difference between the two smile_o.gif

Wildo

great to see a Real-world-map is in the making, a very interesting approach in map making, good luck with it wink_o.gif

Glad to hear a new version's incoming. thumbs-up.gif

You may already have this pic, but if you don't, it shows road and runway layout of 1941 Wake Island

yeah i have that picture smile_o.gif i used it along with another one both were great help in doing the road layouts biggrin_o.gif

im making one of the buildings now, hope to have it ingame and on the island later biggrin_o.gif, the houses wont be enterable to a certain degree, the front "porch" will be, but anything else wont

Wildo

Very nice! thumbs-up.gif

If you want some deatailed information (for a price...) go to the History Channel website and order their special on Wake. Or, you could be cheap like me and wait until they air it on the anniversary of Wake tounge2.gif ( assuming you have HC).

Anyway, it looks very nice, and I can't wait until it's ready.

notworthy.gif

i dont know if i have HC, maybe...is it on freeview aswell? :P (ill raid the parents room and take over for a day biggrin_o.gif :P)

thanks for the info wink_o.gif

Wildo

Now heres a pic of one of the buildings in comparison to the real life counter parts smile_o.gif

wakebuild1.jpg

wake_isnland_the_camp.jpg

Wildo

Looks very good!  thumbs-up.gif

However, I must ask, would this be of any help?

Google is wonderful.

yes it does to a certain extent, it shows a different layout of vegetation to me than some of the other pictures do smile_o.gif

thanks smile_o.gif

Wildo

Cool island. Now that it's bigger it's even better ! Also love that barracks model.

btw: i'd use the Ilo jungle pieces if i were u. smile_o.gif

heh i was going to use i44 vegetation for it :P

maybe ill do two versions 1 with and 1 without smile_o.gif but funnily enough ive barely seen any palm trees in photographs crazy_o.gif

Wildo

are u gonna use berghoff's tropical trees too ?

looks pretty good so far

is it the real scale of the island ?

@Fab, its about 1.2 Km smaller than the actual size of the island (due to ofp limitations)

the size of the map is 128x128, im now making the textures for it using 1024x1024 textures (yes finally beautiful white sands rather than the dull yellow) and i will hopefully get the airpot to look nice(ish)

i dont know about berghoff's trees ill have a look at them smile_o.gif

@SnD, the airport pics i didnt have and a GREAT help in showing me what the hangars looked like (may have to be split in 2 if over 64 metres :P confused_o.gif )

ive started the small port bit which has the seaplane in the picture

Wildo smile_o.gif

actually i dont think they're released yet (talking about the tropical trees, not european trees) and i cant even find the article on ofp.info... maybe it was all a dream lol

wildo, don't use berghoffs trees, the nogova trees suit this island basically just find, there really weren't hardly any "palm" type trees, i went there twice when i was eight or nine, and i remember sparse, low-lying vegetation, it's nothing spectacular, it was mostly concrete. i can't imagine there would be much more thick jungle or anything back in the second world war, but you know as well as i.