Sign in to follow this  
oyman

uv unwrap?

does anyone know how to take a model made in o2 and convert it to some file that can be opened in a program that can unwrap models? huh.gif

Guest The Cobra

Can't you use that Pbox tool?

Isn't it something like that?

Download here

huh.gif

smile_o.gif

that just previews models sad_o.gif

thanks for reply anyway

P2MS or something will change it to a .3ds file

Found.. here!

There'll be millions of programs to unwrap .3ds files if you dont have 3DSM smile_o.gif

- Ben

There'll be millions of programs to unwrap .3ds files if you dont have 3DSM smile_o.gif

- Ben

problem is finding one that is free confused_o.gif

thanks for that link smile_o.gif

You may try UV Mapper.

P2MS does not directly convert P3D->3DS but uses Milkshapes proprietary .ms3d as output which you can convert with LithUnwrap to 3DS. Sounds good for me, but it seems as ms3d does not know of 4-vertex-faces as O2 e.g.

I have a model that uses 4 vertice faces as much as possible, converted it to ms3d -> 3ds, textured parts of it and re-imported it into O2. All 4-vertex-faces were converted to two triangles. Okay, but O2 will not squarize two adjacent triangles that were a 4-vertex-face before! Even when I take the texture away from the whole model. It will not squarize them!

I checked vertexes with Shift-E: the easy recognisable ones (where one co-ordinate is constant) could be squarized.

I tried it with a simple cube (F7 in O2). Exported to ms3d -> 3ds and re-imported it. The import-sequence was able to squarize all 12 triangles back to six squares. So I think that the model might be too complex mad_o.gif or it's just another bug in O2 crazy_o.gif

For these reasons I'll give P3D2OBJ (tools section on www.ofp.info) a try as it knows of 4-vertex-faces and so there should be no reason to cut a square into two triangles.

Be smart, use 3DSMAX wink_o.gif

I've only just switched from O2 to 3DSMAX, but it rules thumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

Or Maya, the PLE is free, and I find the itnerface waay better, still learning it (can't really do a lot in it yet, but learning mad_o.giftounge2.gif)

Lithunwrap, the old version is free, I'll try and dig it out and upload it for you

- Ben

isn't lithunwrap included in the zip/rar with p2ms ?

yes it is smile_o.gif

oh and lithunwrap is a good unwrapper tool, but i want a 3ds max style of uv mapping and not just box mapping huh.gif

Be smart, use 3DSMAX wink_o.gif

I've only just switched from O2 to 3DSMAX, but it rules thumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

3DSM with a price of $3000 is a bit too expensive for a hobbyist. Besides: it would take years for me to handle that beast sad_o.gif

And other 3D Packages seem to have the same learning curve.

Actually I don't miss anything in O2 (and its bugs I don't miss at all), but for texturing purposes I have to switch to something more convenient.

3DSM with a price of $3000 is a bit too expensive for a hobbyist. Besides: it would take years for me to handle that beast sad_o.gif

And other 3D Packages seem to have the same learning curve.

Actually I don't miss anything in O2 (and its bugs I don't miss at all), but for texturing purposes I have to switch to something more convenient.

The Student Edition is $900 wink_o.gif

O2 is fine if you want to create stuff for OFP, and probably the best tool to start with, but later on you may want to create highpoly renders for a portfolio or similar, than you just need 3DSMax or a similar program, because making a 250.000 poly model in O2 takes...well, a long time. And than you are obstructed by O2's license of only being able to make stuff for OFP. But O2 is the best game-editor I have seen thumbs-up.gif

Sure it would be nice to have a 3DSMax kind of UV unwrap in O2, but lets just be happy that they released O2 at all, it has prolonged the life of this community for far longer than with most other games. Go BIS! thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Student Edition is $900

Divide it by 20 and I would give it a try tounge2.gif

For what reason are you modeling 250.000 poly models? Just for rendering purposes?

If I can't use it in Ofp it's useless for me to create such beasts.

Quote[/b] ]but lets just be happy that they released O2

Actually I'm quite disappointed about the way BIS handles the community sad_o.gif

Take EA e.g. : they released a Plugin for GMax/3DSM for Battlefield Vietnam. I wouldn't care if BIS would have done this and a small app. to put the LODs together. And their 'commented config' is just a laughable thing! copy&paste comments randomly.... nothing I call "commented"

BTW: what happend to your HK33/53s???