Sign in to follow this  
stingfish74

SVD SD Rifle

hello:

i am looking for a silenced SVD sniper rifle. I swear i have see one before (correct me if i am wrong)

does anyone know of a mod that has a silenced SVD sniper rifle or can make one for me?

we thought CSLA II would have one but I dont' see it.

Any direction would be apprieciated.

thank you all.

I have never seen a silenced SVD.. I guess a VSS would be more appropriate. Dunno if CSLA comes with it but at least VIT APC pack 1.3 offers units with VSS.

vss2.jpg

This is a VSS

I've never seen a silenced SVD on real life pictures either. I think the VSS is used for that purpose... confused_o.gif

Hi Stingfish,

I think Gazmen is planning to release one in his updated ORCS/JAM pack, along with the SVU rifle.

If you search this formum on " gazmen " you should find the thread on it.

Cheers,

CH

moscow1.jpg

Is that a small supressor/flashhider?

for a russian sniper rifle with alittle more range than the VSS, what about the SV-98 with a supressor?

afaik there was a SD SVD in CSLAII, but not in CSLAII Update1.

Quote[/b] ]Is that a small supressor/flashhider?

No, it is not a suppressor. It is more like some plug put on barrel. It would be way to small to even mount it on a revolver.

Maybe for a .22 handgun this size would be OK. Byt not for a full size pistol or riffle round.

@ July 13 2005,20:50)]No, it is not a suppressor. It is more like some plug put on barrel. It would be way to small to even mount it on a revolver.

Maybe for a .22 handgun this size would be OK. Byt not for a full size pistol or riffle round.

Way too small even for a .22, and you don't silence revolvers. whistle.gif

It looks like something like a spent 12 gauge shotgun case. To keep dirt out of the barrel, maybe?

Long long ago there was a SVD or i think maybe more a SVDS wich had a supressor of the PBS series attached, it came with another SVDS and some other weap, a rather small pack if i remeber right.

But i dont have a fecking clue who made that pack back then huh.gif

maybe its a blank firing attachment? or just a different design flash-hider..

I'm sure it's possible, and probably has been done, but it would make the weapon ridiculoulsy loooooong. Seeing as how the Russians seem to prefer a much more compact weapon like the VSS for this role, it seems unlikely that there would be such a thing as a suppressed SVD in military service.

But I don't specialize in Russian small arms either.

A silenced long range sniper rifle wouldn't make much sense any way, due to the tendancy of the suppressor to put the bullet off-target. On ranges of under 250 meters it could be of use though.

Silenced sniper rifles usually are used with special sub-sonic ammunition and removable or integral silencers to produce lower sound report. Sub-sonic ammo decreases effective range down to 300-400 meters, but it's worth. With the correct ammo and silencer, the sound of the gunshot could be easily mised completely at the distances of 100-200 meters at night, or even at 30-50 meters - in daily urban noize

A silenced long range sniper rifle wouldn't make much sense any way, due to the tendancy of the suppressor to put the bullet off-target.

What?

All the suppressor does, is that it slows down the escaping gasses from the burnt gunpowder. That's it. If you mean that the point of impact changes after you screw on that suppressor, that's a different matter.

And even if you use full-power ammunition instead of subsonic, it will still be difficult for the enemy to figure out exactly what direction the bullets are comming from, when you are using a suppressor.

A silenced long range sniper rifle wouldn't make much sense any way, due to the tendancy of the suppressor to put the bullet off-target.

What?

All the suppressor does, is that it slows down the escaping gasses from the burnt gunpowder. That's it. If you mean that the point of impact changes after you screw on that suppressor, that's a different matter.

The speed is slowed down, and therefore weather conditions such as wind have more effect on the round, making it more likely to create a wider grouping of shots than with an unsilenced version of the rifle thumbs-up.gif

No, a suppressor doesn't necessarily slow the velocity of a projectile. What he said was, that it slows the gasses of the burnt propellent as they leave the barrel. The round and cartridge must be designed to be subsonic, if the shooter requires the utmost stealth when taking a shot.

A standard round maintains most or all of it's muzzle velocity after passing through a suppressor. Due to supersonic velocity, it will create a sonic boom, which is fairly loud. The relative noise is all dependent on the ambient atmospheric conditions. The advantage of using transonic ammo and a suppressor, is that it reduces the noise of the weapon, thus masking the position of the shooter.

There are also rounds specifically designed to be subsonic, and when used in conjunction with a suppressor, reduces the weapon's firing signature to practically nil. The problem is that in ballistics, speed kills. If you reduce the velocity of a round, you are potentially reducing it's terminal lethality. This is particularly true if the mass of the round is low as well.

In a .45 round, which is already subsonic out of the box, it's still just as lethal when used with a suppressor, because it still has a large amount of mass, translating into a massive energy dump on the target. In comparison, a special round like the .300 Whisper might not be sufficiently lethal unless it strikes an unarmored target at center mass, or in the head.

Severely off topic already.  yay.gif

No, a suppressor doesn't necessarily slow the velocity of a projectile. What he said was, that it slows the gasses of the burnt propellent as they leave the barrel. The round and cartridge must be designed to be subsonic, if the shooter requires the utmost stealth when taking a shot.

A standard round maintains most or all of it's muzzle velocity after passing through a suppressor. Due to supersonic velocity, it will create a sonic boom, which is fairly loud. The relative noise is all dependent on the ambient atmospheric conditions. The advantage of using transonic ammo and a suppressor, is that it reduces the noise of the weapon, thus masking the position of the shooter.

That's just about right. Unless you are using some antique suppressor filled with steel or glass wool or sub-caliber rubber baffles that are only good for about 5 shots, it doesn't slow down the projectile. Even then, it is a negligable reduction in velocity.

I think people are still assuming that the H&K suppressors used with the SD model of the MP5 are anything other than unique in their design. It is the only suppressor (technically it is the barrel) that reduces the velocity of the projectile.

Quote[/b] ]

There are also rounds specifically designed to be subsonic, and when used in conjunction with a suppressor, reduces the weapon's firing signature to practically nil. The problem is that in ballistics, speed kills. If you reduce the velocity of a round, you are potentially reducing it's terminal lethality. This is particularly true if the mass of the round is low as well.

In a .45 round, which is already subsonic out of the box, it's still just as lethal when used with a suppressor, because it still has a large amount of mass, translating into a massive energy dump on the target. In comparison, a special round like the .300 Whisper might not be sufficiently lethal unless it strikes an unarmored target at center mass, or in the head.

The bullet doesn't have much energy to dump, you experience more of that energy when you fire the weapon, than when it actually hits. Still, how much energy it dumps isn't even remotely as important as the wound cavity it leaves behind. And whatever "practically nil" means, it still has about as much noise as an unsuppressed .22 rifle using standard velocity (~340 m/s) ammunition.

It is not just the mass of the bullet that is decisive, either. The diameter has an impact too. The point of having a .300 Whisper is of course the superior external ballistics in comparison to pistol bullet designs. Both the .300 and the .45 use bullets of the same weight, which translates to, among other things, greater penetration for the .300 and larger wound cavity for the .45.

The speed is slowed down, and therefore weather conditions such as wind have more effect on the round, making it more likely to create a wider grouping of shots than with an unsilenced version of the rifle

The speed is not slowed down, but you are generally correct about the wind having more effect. However, it depends a lot on the bullet's design, eg. heavy bullets are less sensitive by nature.

gee wiz wow_o.gif

would it be too much to ask if someone can make one for me??? at least until i am able to learn myself?

crazy_o.gif

You know, It really wouldn't be hard to model it, by ( after asking for permission ) taking a decent model of an SVD, and suppressor and mating them together in a modelling program.

the rest is config work, and adding a sound file. Any of the resident addon makers could bang it out in a matter of hours, if not minutes. Problem is, is finding one motivated enough to do the said banging for you.

Of course, I'm not an addon maker, so I'm probably full of sh!t.

Guest The Cobra

Let me remind you:

This is a game!

If someone wanna make a silenced SVD, just find the model, make a silencer for it in O2 and change the sound.

Couldn't be that hard..

And BTW; Wheater conditions in OFP doesn't have an effect on bullets. smile_o.gif