Sign in to follow this  
Jblack

Looking to by books on different military subjects

I'm looking for books on the following subjects:

Lower level command - Squad, Platoon, Company command level tactics. 1930- modern day.

Large Unit Logistics- All years of history. ancient to modern, day.

Detailed books on the Infantry- All forces, airborne, marine, air assault, special forces, mechanized, and light. - Preferrably modern day.

I know alot of people are historians and studiers of war here, so i thought this would be a good place to ask for those

Quote[/b] ]Detailed books on the Infantry- All forces, airborne, marine, air assault, special forces, mechanized, and light. - Preferrably modern day.

Well, most armies still make their recruits study ancient battles, because the principles of warfare haven't changed in all that time. Only the weapons have. Ancient battles can be just as interesting to study as modern battles. Battles such as the Battle of Alesia or the Battle of Gaugamela.

Both victories of great generals over massively larger armies.

For modern (20th Century) Field Command tactics, what you really need to do is search ebay and Book Finder for old Infantry manuals - I have a few British Army examples passed down from my Grandfather and Father (officers in the RA and RE respectively) and it's fascinating to see how tactics changed in the course of a generation. The British examples are always profusely illustrated and very detailed. It is the only place to go for an accurate depiction of lower level command.

For Higher Command, to get the basics read On War by von Clausewitz, or The Art of War by Sun Tzu - these are regarded as the fundamentals for higher tactical and strategic (and thus logistical insight) warfare.

For books on Military History in general - pretty much every book published by Cassell is a mine of information on the history of warfare. Then there are the Osprey Military Paperbacks which give detailed accounts of units, weapons and battles throughout the course of history. Without knowing what you're very interested in, I can't really help with anything but general advice smile_o.gif.

As for detailed books - go into ANY book shop in Europe and North America and you will find a book on some aspect of war - take your pick!

A good book about guerrilla warfare is "On Guerrilla Warfare" by Mao Tse-Tung. It actually gives you the framework for setting up a guerrilla network and crap.. band.gif Also, it's a light read.

Quote[/b] ]For Higher Command, to get the basics read On War by von Clausewitz, or The Art of War by Sun Tzu - these are regarded as the fundamentals for higher tactical and strategic (and thus logistical insight) warfare.

Why are you trying to force "On War" on that person... rofl.gif You need no life, basically, to read it.

In no particular order:

Total Resistance - Maj. H von Dach

Maneuver Warfare - William S. Lind

Strategy - B.H. Liddell Hart

Tiger's Way - H. John Poole (also look into his other books)

Several books for download could be found on this page, unfortunatly they apparently changed (or removed? band.gif ) the index page with a list of the books...

Institute for National Strategic Studies

However, the books seem still to be there, I had a direct link to this one:

The big L - American logistics in WWII whistle.gif

You can also search for posts by me - I posted about this page a few month ago - you might find other direct links there wink_o.gif

Edit: Found the new index: NDU book titles Index  thumbs-up.gif

I remember someone in my other thread had spoken positively about THE BEAR WENT OVER THE MOUNTAIN: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan

Hi,

A good general introduction on the subject of logistics:

Creveld, M. van, Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton (New York 1977), 284p.

Some publications on logistics in Antiquity:

Engels, D. W., Alexander the Great and the logistics of the Macedonian army (Berkeley 1978) 194p.

Erdkamp, P., Hunger and the sword. Warfare and food supply in Roman republican wars (264 - 30 BC) (Amsterdam 1998) 324p.

Junkelmann, M., Panis militaris (Mainz 1997) 254p.

Roth, J.P., The logistics of the Roman army at war (264 BC - AD 235) (Leiden 1999) 400p. (Bryn Mawr Classical Review)

Regards,

Sander