Sign in to follow this  
MATRA

BIS open letter to community

Quote[/b] ]June 22, 2005

Open Letter to the Operation Flashpoint Community

Dear Operation Flashpoint community,

Thank you for your continuous interest in Operation Flashpoint. The excitement and support you share with the rest of the community is invaluable and we’re glad that so many people understood our vision for realistic and open style computer games and started working on so many missions, addons and modifications of their own.

It has been a busy 4 years since the first commercial release of Operation Flashpoint (OFP). We successfully released the official expansion pack Resistance, developed a specifically tailored version of our technology for serious military training users (VBS1), released many updates to the game until 2004 and at the same time we were working on research and development of our second generation technology. While all this was happening, the community created many different conflicts, covering everything from Napoleonic to current militaria and beyond. There are now thousands of addons available with new content being created every day, including mods which change virtually every facet of the game, converting it into something new and fresh looking.

Now, we are near the beginning of a new period and it provides a good opportunity to give you a direct update as to our views and plans. First of all, we would like to assure you that we’re fully dedicated to the game world we created in OFP and fully dedicated to you, the community that assembled around the game. Your passion and creativity never ceases to surprise and astonish us and your passion always drives us forward.

As you’re probably aware, we currently do not have a publisher for our upcoming games and also, the Operation Flashpoint trade mark name is an intellectual property of Codemasters and thus we cannot use the name or directly control what the name will be used for. It means that unless Codemasters were to publish any of our upcoming games (which is still a possible scenario) it definitely wouldn’t be named Operation Flashpoint. But whatever names we will use our dedication to complex, realistic simulation and large open ended game environments will remain the same.

We have almost finished the special new version of our military combat game for Xbox. Considering the system’s limited memory we’re really proud that we haven’t removed a single feature, nor did we limit any aspect of the original PC military game and we fully kept the spirit of the original whilst managing to improve the graphics as well improving and adding to many aspects of realism, environment and ambient life. It’s different to anything console gamers have ever seen and that’s another reason for us to finally have this game published. We’re confident no other game on console offers this level of realism, scope or freedom. Playing a realistic military simulation in your living room, sitting on a comfortable chair, watching a large TV screen and listening to high performance surround sound speakers is definitely a unique feeling, even if you’ve already played the game a lot on PC.

Armed Assault (working title, aka ArmA) will be our next title for PC with an expected release date prior to the end of 2005. It will bring you a new engine with numerous improvements, including a completely new Direct X 9 graphics engine with support for detailed vegetation and dynamic water, reworked physical simulation and collision detection. Not forgetting of course, support for join in progress multiplayer. It will also contain a brand new environment and campaign set in the recent past. We also keep in mind all of the great community content created so far and we’ll try to make it as easy as possible to convert and use any OFP content in ArmA. Good news for addon makers is that porting their work into ArmA will help prepare them for future releases of our engine, which in the coming years will expand over many areas the ability of our technology.

http://www.bistudio.com/flashnews/OpenLetter/openletter.html

ol_02.jpg

Happy birthday OFP!! yay.gif

PS. ArmA?? Ill like ArAs better. huh.gif

errrrrrrrrrrrr................

Quote[/b] ]

Armed Assault Is Operation Flashpoint 2; Brand Name Lost

June 22, 2005 - An update on Bohemia Interactive's website from director Marek ?pan?l reveals that the company has ended their association with Codemasters, who unfortunately own the Operation Flashpoint brand name:

As you're probably aware, we currently do not have a publisher for our upcoming games and also, the Operation Flashpoint trade mark name is an intellectual property of Codemasters and thus we cannot use the name or directly control what the name will be used for. It means that unless Codemasters were to publish any of our upcoming games (which is still a possible scenario) it definitely wouldn't be named Operation Flashpoint. But whatever names we will use our dedication to complex, realistic simulation and large open ended game environments will remain the same.

We have almost finished the special new version of our military combat game for Xbox. Considering the system's limited memory we're really proud that we haven't removed a single feature, nor did we limit any aspect of the original PC military game and we fully kept the spirit of the original whilst managing to improve the graphics as well improving and adding to many aspects of realism, environment and ambient life.

It's different to anything console gamers have ever seen and that's another reason for us to finally have this game published. We're confident no other game on console offers this level of realism, scope or freedom. Playing a realistic military simulation in your living room, sitting on a comfortable chair, watching a large TV screen and listening to high performance surround sound speakers is definitely a unique feeling, even if you've already played the game a lot on PC.

Marek also states that the game formerly known as Operation Flashpoint 2 should be ready for release by year end.

So, ArmA is now Ofp2 or why?, so the game that show screens in e3 from Ofp2 will be released as ofp3?

....i dont understand, i think its a good new, but its confussed.....

Re-opened to allow members to post here (as members cannot post to threads in the BI News area)...also moving to a more appropriate area of the forums...please keep on-topic and keep spam to an absolute minimum wink_o.gif

May I just say that BIS completely, utterly, and entirely rules everything that is good and perfect in the gaming world.

This is just another example of that fact.

Hi all

Some points from the letter:

Getting everything that was in the PC version and upgrading it, then putting it in to X-box must mean the code has been seriously optimised. This inevitably means the engine code will be seriously more efficient.

The fact that BIS has kept the addon database code easily covnveratble to make it compatable is just about the nicest thing they could have done for the community.

Kind Regards a happy walker smile_o.gifyay.gif

I love the photo they added on OFP.info,

ofpbirthday.jpg

Also, Arma sounds alot better than AA.

Happy Birthday from the Center.

Thanks Bohemia Interactive for the best Game forever. thumbs-up.gif

You play it and you love it smile_o.gif [...since 4 years]

Raptor

Happy Birthday OFP!

The picture that comes with the letter, is it ArmA or Game 2?

Happy brithday(?) OFP!

And thanks to the best game developer BIS that supported the game for a long time! yay.gif

thumbs-up.gif

errrrrrrrrrrrr................
Quote[/b] ]

June 22, 2005 - An update on Bohemia Interactive's website from director Marek ?pan?l reveals that the company has ended their association with Codemasters, who unfortunately own the Operation Flashpoint brand name:

As you're probably aware, we currently do not have a publisher for our upcoming games and also, the Operation Flashpoint trade mark name is an intellectual property of Codemasters and thus we cannot use the name or directly control what the name will be used for. It means that unless Codemasters were to publish any of our upcoming games (which is still a possible scenario) it definitely wouldn't be named Operation Flashpoint. But whatever names we will use our dedication to complex, realistic simulation and large open ended game environments will remain the same.

We have almost finished the special new version of our military combat game for Xbox. Considering the system's limited memory we're really proud that we haven't removed a single feature, nor did we limit any aspect of the original PC military game and we fully kept the spirit of the original whilst managing to improve the graphics as well improving and adding to many aspects of realism, environment and ambient life.

It's different to anything console gamers have ever seen and that's another reason for us to finally have this game published. We're confident no other game on console offers this level of realism, scope or freedom. Playing a realistic military simulation in your living room, sitting on a comfortable chair, watching a large TV screen and listening to high performance surround sound speakers is definitely a unique feeling, even if you've already played the game a lot on PC.

Marek also states that the game formerly known as Operation Flashpoint 2 should be ready for release by year end.

So, ArmA is now Ofp2 or why?, so the game that show screens  in e3 from Ofp2 will be released as ofp3?

....i dont understand, i think its a good new, but its confussed.....

If OFP2 and ArmA was the same game how come they have 2 seperate forums and 2 seperate chanels on www.flashpoint2.com?

Really nice picture biggrin_o.gif

I've readet too.

It is simple, CM has no good buisnes sense if they are mean when they are released a game namend OFP2 wich is not from BIS. The fans who are played,Mapping,Modding etc the last 4 years with the RIGHT OFP will NOT be purchase the dump OFP from CM, thus what going on me. Waht I say with it is any name and any publisher is Whatever for me essential the game come from BIS and the bis logo is on the cover box.

A few words @ BIS:

Hey guys You are the first company the so intensively worked together with teir comunity as it possible. I think i can judge this

according more as ten years gameing wink_o.gif

You have with Ofp+Res made what NO NO other game/gamecompany made before that I FOUR, FOUR years nearly every day Edit with Ofp. Respect.

So whatever which publisher you find for ArmA and Ofp2 I'm sure the real fans keep loyal to you.

PS: I like ArAs better too as ArmA wink_o.gif

PPS: Sorry for any spelling mistake(s)

Greets from Germany

Guest Ti0n3r

yay.gif Happy birthday OFP!!! yay.gif

And a BIG thank you to everyone at BIS. notworthy.gif

Happy Birthday OFP!

The picture that comes with the letter, is it ArmA or Game 2?

ArmA.

Happy birthday OFP yay.gif and thanks BIS for making this wounderfull game!

Happy Birthday OFP, and thanks BIS for being such a fantastic bunch. I reckon you guys should have an office party thumbs-up.gif

Cheers,

CH

...and Thank You Marek and the rest of BIS for created and continue creating the best games ever! The dedication to carrying

on the realism based sims is making me particular happy, keep it up.

And also to all mod makers and SP mission creators for taking the

game experience to a new level, the game seems endless, it will never stop. biggrin_o.gif

And now to another 4 years non-stop on the battlefield....

Thank you very much for the nice information politics in the

Open Letter, I am still married with OFP.

God bless BIS. biggrin_o.gif

best game ever, set to get even better this winter. i knew there was a reason i had just upgraded my PC. notworthy.gif

oh, and happy birthday

happy 4th birthday OFP!

see birthday present in my signature