Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Need the name of a fence??

Hey guys,

Im making a new dynamic MP RPG mission on my twighlight island, at the moment its coming along quiet nicely, ive done the main scripts and such now im just adding the last few things before Beta release.

Now in one my scripts im camcreating a fence, only thing i need is the fence name! its been driving me crazy trying to find out what it is. The fence i wish to camcreate is the same sort of fence that surrounds the out side of the factory site thats north-east from the desert airport of Nogova. You know the one, it looks like corrigated iron and is grey in colour.

It seems this fence was not included in the Editor Upgrade 102, so ive tried to finde out the name by useing :

Quote[/b] ]Make a triger with the activation "Radio-Alpha" and select "Repeatedly"

In the activation field type:

Code Sample

Hint format["%1",typeOf(nearestBuilding(player))]

But this appears to only detect Houses and other objects only and not Fences of any sort. Ive also had a go of opening up Wrp edit and copying the name from there - but no luck iver.

So finally i come to you friendly lot to help me out! Cheers murf biggrin_o.gif

i had a similar problem, regarding the bunk beds available in the game, so i thought i could use them without an editor addon, but till now no luck, your problem seems to be the same, so i will monitor this thread if any solutions may occur wink_o.gif

i tried the same things you did, i got the name i needed, but only for the model i wanted, couldnt create the object under that (czech) name sad_o.gif

find it in-game and then go to that spot in the MED. Then use the Objects ID button to find it's id. When you've found it, do the typeOf only it should look like this:

hint format["Type Is: %1",typeOf (object XXX)]

I tried that Tyger, it returns... nothing...no *pling*... nada

Strange. rock.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hint format ["%1",typeof (object 159585)]

I also tried it with the small guardhouse on the entrance and it returned dum04, so my line of code was not wrong.

I remember a similar post from someone who wanted the name of a bush and the same problem occured.

Hmm yea same proplem here too, i tried to get the name of some other fences on the island also and the same thing happend, no ping or an thing. It seems to only work for houses. Very strang...

Can any one else find a solution?

The object must not be configured to be placable in the editor. There are many objects like this, which was why the editor upgrade was created. Unfortunately, Kegetys didn't include ALL of the .p3d objects in his upgrade.

You might want to check out EditorUpgrade102noe.pbo. About 25% of it's objects are NOT in Kegety's EU. I'm not able to find a link to it right now, but it is out there, especially on non-english sites.

The main problem with Petre's (I think he is the author???) EU is that the objects are all named "house XXX", so there is no real way to tell them apart, aside from placing all 100 or so of them. And I think it doesn't include some objects that Kegety's does.

You also might want to check out mapfact's EU, although I've never used it myself. Hopefully they did the job right, and included ALL .p3d objects that are included with OFP.

Well there you have it. I think EditorUpgrade102noe.pbo is on OFPEC somewhere. But most sites have it methinks.

There are only 553 p3d models that are configured in the game configs, the other 850 have no entries in any configs.

Some of those 850 are in some of the EU's, but I don't think any of them include them all.

Planck

If i downloaded this editorupgrade102neo thingy would it require every one to download the esact same editor upgrade to just play my mission? Other wise id rather just not include this fence and instead use the more 'popular' editor upgrade that just about every one has as standerd.This fence isnt really essential to my mission.

yes that is what is keeping me from using the editor addons, since anyone that wants to play the mission will have to download it, there is one exception though, and your fence might be in it, there is one editoraddon that you can use without the need of the player to download it too, i dont know the name anymore, but it should be easy to find at OFPEC since there are not that many editorupdates around wink_o.gif

EDIT: its the Resistance Object Patch v1.3 by girts wink_o.gif

yes that is what is keeping me from using the editor addons, since anyone that wants to play the mission will have to download it

Yeah, thats why most people don't use addons in missions...

General Barron -

since you are the maker of the Editor Upgrade (Editor's Edition) let me stray a little bit offtopic and ask you if you know the Resistance Object Patch v1.3 by girts? and if so can the same be done with your editor upgrade? i mean make it addonindependent, let me quote girts explainaition, to make myself clearer smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

A small patch which adds to the editor units and buildings from Resistance which weren't visible before (houses, "Cheated" soldiers and "Cheated UAZ"). And the best is that you don't have to use this addon when you want to play the mission which was created with this patch.

would be a great enhancement of the editor addons, if player wouldnt have to download them, and mission designer could still use them smile_o.gif

Girts patch works because it uses the class names of the objects that are configured in the O.pbo config.cpp. Some of them are not configurred to appear in the editor and girts patch fixes this.

All models that are not configured in a config.cpp, but are just embedded in island .wrp files, need to have a config written for them in order to be usable in the editor.

This is why you have General Barrons EU and Kegetys EU and previously, Gunslingers. These upgrades in fact are merely the config.cpp's for all the models that have no config. As well as making those that are not configured for the editor available.

Planck