Sign in to follow this  
poggs

WIP - Unnamed Island

Well, I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

EDIT: I need a name...Post suggestions ;)

I've finally decided to dabble into island making after being an avid Flashpointer since the beginning. After figuring out how to do stuff in WRPTool, I set out on making an island. This is NOT anywhere close to being finished, and I am completely open to suggestions. The theme so far is a small (fictional) myriad of islands in the Mediterranean.

At the moment, I have many ideas for the islands, yet at the same time I need some input and some help.

preview3fq.jpg

EDIT: THe pic below is the island after ^. Since that picture was taken I've created the bridge and more stuff.

preview22nt.jpg

First thing's first. At the moment, I have very jagged mountains. Obviously the 'blur' tool is for this very reason, but it's impossible to blur it without making it much smaller. Is there any way to easily round the tops of mountains to a more realistic shape (obviously you can raise lots of ground to the same height then blur, but that seems inconsistent because the elevation tool only works cell by cell unless you use Interactive. I was trying to go for a rolling hills look in the 2nd picture, yet as you can tell it didn't work out 'too' great. I like the effect I've created in some of it, but it's lacking something. I've placed a small lake in the middle and farms southwest from the angle the picture is taken.

What I'm asking is for what the consumer wants on this island. I have many other ones to tailor to my liking, but I'd like to see what you all want.

So far, I'm using Mapfact objects and stuff from Res, so nothing too demanding of people to download. If you would like the try my current version, ask. Your input is needed!

Hi, hey, just 1 thing... don't call this island wip_whatever please;

i use that tag (wip) that i've registered in OFPEC for my addons. Like my wip_45, wip_g36k, wip_faces, wip_flags & "soon" my wip_m4a1 pack. Let's cu.

No I mean WIP = Work In Progress. By no means is that going to be my tag. But thanks for the heads up, when's your M4 pack going to be finished?

-poggs

Hi, well... we don't know, the man who made the LODs made 'em well & very fast; we should add the memory points needed for the smoke cloud, to the M203 & the Masterkey, i should end the black textures (that gonna take me weeks) & i should re-path all the textures in the woodland version (only M4's wiz LODS are the desert versions, save 'em as woodland M4 models & repath all the textures) once that i do this; they gonna be ready for send to the config whritter & let him make his voodoo on 'em; & then, release 'em; maybe in 2 versions, binarized & not binarized; someone told me that the binarized addons run better than the not binarized addons. But i want to make 'em openable by the ppl, so they can change whatever they want or take whatever they want.

About this island... i don't know, but my personal opinion it's that i don't like the not RES objects, like bushes and trees over all; apart of the mapfact objects (needed for Nogova 1.22) the 3WFX Buildings could improve the look like of the island, apart of make some good and very versatile AO's. U could mail Iguana and ask him to change the bases on his island for 3WFX buildings and mapfact buildings, his Legus island it's the best green small island that i ever seen, and u'll have to work less... only change the buildings on the bases or complexes 'round the island. But well... that's only an "i'll like", like... "i'll like that a sniper shoot G.W.B. in the neck with a M82A3" or... "i'll like to see Ariel Sharon dead 'couse he acts as a nazi by his politics with the impunity of a good fella of the U.S. administration", just an "i'll like"; that don't gonna happen. let's cu >>;-)

Besides the 2nd Picture the island looks great. For the name how bout "Swela" or..... "Pandemic" or.... some other weird name tounge_o.gif

xmas_o.gif Happy Easter smile_o.gif

wipman: can i find the 3WFX stuff on ofp.info?

hehe well I can't speak for everybody but I'd have to agree with a bumper sticker I saw: "49% of the US agrees with 99% of the world" haha cheers

Rommel:Yeah I don't know what to make of it really :\ I don't know whether to add snow to it and make it tank-friendly so it'd be a good island for tank warfare. Happy Easter

Note: I'm going to Vegas until Wednesday so if your posts are left unanswered don't feel like I'm ignoring you; thanks guys!

smile_o.gif

-poggs

Rommel:Yeah I don't know what to make of it really :\ I don't know whether to add snow to it and make it tank-friendly so it'd be a good island for tank warfare. Happy Easter

I guess thats a no to my island names.

No one likes tanks... :P

Does the island have forests? And If they do see if you can make trees with invisible ladders to make out you can climb a tree, then sit/crouch/stand/laydown on branches. smile_o.gif

Hi, i mistaken the name of that objects pack, it's right name it's:3WX Objects Pack 1.1 i think that between the latest mapfact objects packs + those 3WX objects, the AO's can be really closer to complexes, bases, guerrila bases, improve the look like of citys & make the islands in general look great and fit with a big range of missions (im thinking in coops). But well, big islands ever are good for the use of flying horses... UH1-N, AH1-W, CH/MH53 (when they be released...) CH-46E/46D... & maybe someday a MV-22 Osprey. Let's cu.

I'm still takin suggestions; I need a bigger pool before I decide Rommel ;)

I've finished most of the 3rd island, continuing to my 4th/7.

A little bit of a warning. If you put roads on terrain and then change the terrain elevation the roads sometimes disappear when you drive over them. I am not sure if that applies to WRPTool but I think it does.

The Archepelago of Marulia.

Name the town that is higher of sea level Palo Alto ( High stick)

A town around the coast line San Agustin De Marulia ( Saint Agustin of Marulia)

The capital, Picosa.

Another island from the archepelago, Santa Maria.

Another one? They do sound like real places, I know that there is a place in South America call Palo Alto, but its not like if we are tallkinmg about Medellin, its a small place.

There is lots of towns, cities, and villages around the world with the name or part of their name being San Agustin, but San Agustin De Marulia, that's unique.

I very much doubt that there is going to be a place call Picosa and Santa Maria my be coment, but normally have something ellse next to it.

They would go well for a Mediterranean fealing island, and for what you say is going to be more than one, so it can be call an archepelago, yes?

Later, and I hope that if you don't use them at list they'll give you some inspiration.

@CERO.

I don't know how realistic you're wanting to get? I was looking at the 2nd pic and the tracks really stood out as being wrong.. by that I mean in the bottom left corner.

In reality there wouldn't be a track there the terrain is too steep, you would have to drive around that particular mountain/rock pinnicle.

Once you've finished with your terrain (I actually think that what you have looks better than a 'rolling hill' effect would), then start thinking about roads/tracks and where you would actually drive if u were on the island? I'm not talking about OFP's drive anywhere physics, I mean if you were actually there.

Place small woods on the bottom of steep slopes if you want to make players drive around them instead of over them.

As you're going for a Med feel, don't forget to scatter ruins around, drop plenty of rocks into the ground & include a fair bit of bare earth/desert. Maybe fishing harbours on the towns by the coast and tiny islands just off the coast.

Island names: Christiana, Kostax, Las Palomas, Naxus, Thessoseus, Ephelonikki, Amalfiore, Conta Dorada.. just what came into my head - hope they help?!

I look forward to the release of these islands. Good Luck!

Alright, been workin on the island over the last two days:

Jakerod: Thanks for your help on MSN, especially with the 'blending' of pine forests wink_o.gif

EDIT: The bridge DOES go on, view distance is set to 3k, and that happens to be where it ends.

Rommel: I found a tree-stand + tree and put it in a town; it's in the last picture in the O.pbo

@cero: Wow, love the suggestions. So far my favorite choice

Stealthtiger: I know what you mean; I've blurred the roads since and they flow nicely now.

somebloke: I think I'll name the civilian airport that, "Ecomus International" has that sort of ring to it wink_o.gif

Those first two pictures don't resemble the current work anymore, so I'm going to take the liberty of updating the pictures.

So far the AI can use the bridges/roads fine, however on foot they seem a bit 'buggy'. I 'know' that they are safe to walk across, but the AI is hesitant at parts, and sometimes they (bare with me on this, it's hard to explain) they turn 360 degrees, occasionally stopping and "normal run (when you press W)" 2 steps forward, and then 2 steps back. Then they return to their original spot and keep turning/stopping/walking etc etc.

At some parts I've noticed tiny gaps, and at them they stop and won't continue. I'm thinking that maybe they see the gap as the end of the bridge, and are trying to be smart and thinking "ha end of a bridge nice try we won't walk off it" (liberty taken with the translation of AI haha biggrin_o.gif )

Also, I've linked to pictures of some towns that don't 'seem right'. I can't put my finger on it, but something is wrong with them. Is it the spacing? The size of the buildings?

Thanks for posting, enjoy the pictures smile_o.gif

pic20kh.jpg

pic37yh.jpg

pic45vf.jpg

pic50fo.jpg

I think that it is the spacing of the buildings, as I said last night. Also in that second picture of the town I think it is because the big building has nothing around it. Try putting smaller buildings along the roads around it.

About the road and bridges. If they do their whole weird "turn and turn and turn" thing on normal roads it might be because you changed the terrain while there was a road on it.

Ok I'll do that and see if that solves it.

They only do that on bridges, it's like they are path-finding. I don't put roads on the bridge right? (it already has a road)

Looks great mate, keep up the excellent work. wink_o.gif

WRP doesnt work for me, I dont work for it or whatever. tounge_o.gif

EDIT: Anybody have some suggestions for runway lights that don't require addons? (To make it easier on you guys, not me)

Is there any way for me to get this hosted so I can let you guys beta it so I can fix problems as I go along rather than deal with a huge list at the end? In the meantime here's another picture: this time of the military base

milbasepic6gz.jpg

If anybody wants to test it, you can reach me on AIM charliesingrill, or on MSN as bonkers_2900@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Required addons are:

JOF Objects 1

Mapfact MilObj Pack

Mapfact Baracken

I don't want to suck up their bandwidth by linking to their site, but you can google mapfact.net and you can find the addons there (duh it's their site wink_o.gif )

-poggs

update once more...FInished the last of the small islands, working on the mainland ;)

pic61zj.jpg