Sign in to follow this  
BadAss -Mapfact.net-

Mapfact.net releases "Leaves in the wind"

Hello all, it's actually done! The mission is out now and available for download.  xmas_o.gif

Some of you might have seen the trailer by Sniping-Jack?

As you might remember then "leaves in the wind" is an infantry mission with Laser's Rangers. Besides your own squad you've got to command three additional teams against a very well prepared enemy on central Kolgujev. This not so new story will surprise you with it's nice details and many ways to get around, eg. arti, helos, many tanks, backup, individual mission settings (time, weather, number of enemies and their skill), a full documentaion with many hints and tips ...

biw1.jpg

For further information and of course the download please visit Mapfact.net. We hope you like this piece of work. Have fun! smile_o.gif

hi badass,

i really like your mission, but its a tough nut to crack biggrin_o.gif

the strong side of it is the intuitive commander system, with the feed back from the units in the field, also the ability to set waypoints on the fly is a great enhancement smile_o.gif

till now i didnt get far, but that is not a bad sign, cause it is a challenge to try it again

one point though, i get attacked quite early by a hind, first time it whipped away my anti-armor group and wounded half of my squad

there isnt much surviveability for the insertion helis, maybe ill try to pull them back farther in a save zone next time, right from the start

a calmer place to start would have been nice, just to get used to the command system (that first hind attack happend while i was still giving orders to my scout squads)

anyway, i really love the dynamics of your mission, and i think its

a shame that it didnt get much replies till now, since everybody is crying for new innovative missions, and here is one smile_o.gif

greets Honcho

Hey Badass, I know you and I know that this mission has to be high quality for sure. It's got highest priority on my to-try-missions-list, as I find time for it I'll try it and give proper feedback! Hopefully others will notice this too, since it's really a shame that everybody complains about lack of missions and than there is that no feedback at all on missions like those high-quality-ones from mapfact. sad_o.gif

Hello,

I have tried it for the first time just now, and this misison is amazing...

As you would expect, I rushed in without really knowing what to do, and after parachuting in, I find myself struggling to work out the controls as I hear tanks approaching, and then all of a sudden I have 2 tanks on my position, and I mean right on top of me...then all of a sudden i am 2 men down but we make it to the forest only to find my radioman is one of the dead crazy_o.gif ... I died trying to retrieve the radio...scary stuff.

This has to have one of the best, if not the best intro/brief ever. Fantastic stuff.

tank.jpg

thx @all, i guess Badass will be happy reading this. then he knows for what he has done his work. smile_o.gif

Quite a mission. I really dug the intro. I only played breifly and got my ass handed to me. I love it. I can't wait to give it some thought and figure out a good strategy for this one.

Thanks at all! I wish you could see me smiling about your very kind posts! biggrin_o.gif

The sometimes quite hard work payed off very well, finally!

@ honcho: Try to find out when and why the hind comes... Then try to get some Strela Launcher of one of your enemies, there are some to be found.

@ all: You don't have to start too close to one of your main objectives. You can move across the whole island. That can be a good idea to find your best way to attack your targets, to collect some usefull stuff...

If there're any problems, take your time and think again or modify your plans. There's the documentation by Sniping-Jack, too. Go and get it to get some hints and ideas.

And of course enjoy playing it a second, third.... time again! wink_o.gif

I really like this mission

Great work BadAss icon14.gif

From the start up ingame interface that allow you to personalize it a bit , to the possibilities offered by the ingame command menu , all is really well done.

I found a bit funny to be engaged and crushed by a T80 (that blew up my AT guys before anyone even noticed it) , while my scouts that were above the situation reported us only a BMP coming in the other side very far biggrin_o.gif

I have just a report about a problem, not sure if it is related to your scripts

On a situation i noticed by binocular a soldier coming to our direction but that was covered by some hills, (he was clearly an enemy , but was reported as yellow on my binoc sight), so i ordered everyone to go prone , combat mode and engage at will, to set a kind of ambush to this soldier that was not alone to come to our position.

But as soon as this soldier came in an open and flat sight , i noticed that none of my soldier engaged him, so i had to do the job myself.

Again as soon as this east squad was in the open sight , none of my soldier tried to even fire at one of them.

I took out some by myself , but finally one of them killed me , while the other enemy soldiers used grenades to explode my "love and peace" own squad that was supposed to ambushing that enemy.

During the fight, i used binoculars and noticed that despite the soldiers were very near when they came in the open sight , they were always not reported as red/enemy but as yellow/unknown .

Maybe it is why my soldiers never engaged them, but i wonder why this happened , an error in one of the scripts or just an OFP terrain problem in that location of Kolgujev that was preventing to "see" the nature of the enemy

(like when you are just out of a bush and the game does not allow you to identificate on the HUD the units despite you see them clearly ) ?

I'm sorry but i have no idea about this problem.

My scripts don't affect the player or his squad. So i have to do a little research on this. But since i never had this problems i guess it'll be pretty to find the reasons for this problem. Did you try all the different squad orders like 3-1 up to 3-5?

Hopefully you get around this until i have a solution.

Very impressive work wow_o.gif

I mean, very, very, very impressive work.

There are a bit too many parameters to control for me because I do not like having other squads to control than my own, but that is only me. Of course, I am having trouble kicking the enemy's butt, but I will be trying hard !

As to the problem mentioned by Sanctuary, and as I see you spawn units, could it be that, by any chance, an Eastern squad has been spawned in a group of a West or resistance dummy officer ? This may explain why the loons did not recognize the squad as enemy ? Just a thought.

Once again, this is awesome work, just felt I had to tell you, especially as you must have spent ages designing this smile_o.gif

Regards,

Ig.

Resistance is friednly to East, hostile for West. And yes, I do spawn resitance units because of the da.. group limit!

And Igor fire some LAWs or M203 nades with effects turned on. I guess you'll like what you'll see. biggrin_o.gif And of course you'll find your name in the outro... It's cool that someone who's made some stuff i use in here is playing my lil' baby! tounge_o.gif

And yes it did cost me ages. Actually years since i wanted to release the mission as a christmas present at 24th of december. Ask the team, they were allready joking about planning of release dates....

@Igor: You're right. Some of the squads spawns as a resistance unit. It's almost certainly that BadAss could find the bug by checking her side.

Maybe in some future an update will fix that problem.

But meanwhile I suppose the mission is playable nevertheless.

[edit] Ooops, BadAss has been faster! biggrin_o.gif

@ Mar. 11 2005,15:01)]I'm sorry but i have no idea about this problem.

My scripts don't affect the player or his squad. So i have to do a little research on this. But since i never had this problems i guess it'll be pretty to find the reasons for this problem. Did you try all the different squad orders like 3-1 up to 3-5?

Hopefully you get around this until i have a solution.

I replayed your mission, and this did not happened again when i ran into an enemy squad, so i think it is one of those OFP engine problem (like what i described about the old problems when you are in some bushes that are preventing to make the identification for your AI squad of even near enemies despite you see them clearly , a problem mostly everybody experienced since OFP release)

Certainly something in the terrain was preventing the identification process like it does with the bushes problem.

Maybe because this situation occured because our squad were on lower ground, so the OFP object/terrain problem that was preventing the identification process was not doing the same for the enemies on higher ground (and so had not this object/terrain problem in their field of vision).

Or can it be the resistance side problem that were puzzling my squad in that specific situation ?

I remember in the old time of 1.46 having faced this situation, where my west squad refused to open fire at a resistance -enemy- squad .

As i never ran again into this problem, i thought Resistance fixed it.

fine, good to know that it wasn't a bug of the mission.

did anyone here manage it to come through in one piece? biggrin_o.gif

Until now, with the help of the squad 2 that destroyed several tanks, we conquered 2 of the objectives before saving dues to some lack of free time to continue.

We parachuted near the mountain (where Scout 2 is hiding) with ranger 1 and ranger 2 and assaulted from higer grounds the first enemy base , destroying several enemy squads and armor.

Then we proceeded on foot to the nearest objective , a village in ruins where some enemies were suprised by our big attack (as we had no casualties in the 2 ranger squads from our first battle) and a T80 was annhilated by our RPG (took on the body some unfortunate enemies).

2 of my squad members were killed in the assault by an explosion (certainly a grenade, as we did not found any source), but the enemy fell quickly despite some support tried to reach them, just to be killed by our weapons

On the way some shilkas were destroyed.

Objective Peter is my next one , i will certainly call the support chopper to get some more ammunitions , as the lot of enemy infantry and vehicles we fought on the way took out a part of our stock smile_o.gif

Especially now we destroyed several shilkas , the place should be clean enough for this ammo support.

@ Mar. 12 2005,20:18)]Bu would you mind downloading it at mapfact.net? That'll be very nice! Thanks at all! smile_o.gif

Hehe, typical mapfact download-mania biggrin_o.gif They always wanna know how many people got their stuff, but I think mirrors are okay anyways just in case the mapfact page is down some day.

@ Mar. 12 2005,20:18)]Bu would you mind downloading it at mapfact.net? That'll be very nice! Thanks at all! smile_o.gif

Hehe, typical mapfact download-mania biggrin_o.gif They always wanna know how many people got their stuff, but I think mirrors are okay anyways just in case the mapfact page is down some day.

that's my opinion, too. wink_o.gif it's only the mania of some people there...

Call it what you like. I call it missunderstanding! I don't care anything about the dl numbers as you seem to think.  rock.gif

No number would have given me the joy, pleasure and the  feeling that all the work has been worth it like reading all your kind comments did! Take my word! smile_o.gif

The only point about your so called mania is: it's quite some work and takes quite a bit of one's spare time to write news, translate and do all the things to keep the site running. Of course you all can go and download all you want where you want, no problem.

If i knew you all prefer downloading somewhere else i coulöd safe my time and quit writing news and translating it?

Don't take personally, no offense ment, of course!!! For me it's about respecting some one's work. Nothing more, nothing less. Okay? wink_o.gif

And sorry for getting quite off topic!

problem noticed : sometime the squads do not move to the waypoint you assign them.

When this is happening , you can notice that instead of the correct squad replying , it is another squad that is replying to you.

An example : i order ranger squad 2 to move to a specific position, and scout 2 reply (but no squad will move)

This problem has happened several time during the mission, i suspect a onmapsingleclick problem , as i noticed in an occasion when trying to place some specific position to some of my teammate on the map (when you select F2 and click on a location to have soldier no2 to move there by example) that waypoint for the last squad commanded continued to appear on my clicks

I had a similar problem on one of my mission, when i forgot to add this line of code

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">onmapsingleclick {}

to put "off" the onmapsingleclick (without putting it "off", it was waiting to "capture" the coordinate of any of my click, giving lot of problem when you wanted to click on the map for different purposes)

Another problem, certainly realted to the onmapsingleclick one : When i requested the support chopper , i was not able to give it the 3 requested waypoint beofre having the possibility to set the drop zone. Only 1st waypoint appeared (and Ranger Squad 2 decided to move there ?)

I had to request a second time this support before being able to set the correct 3 waypoint + the drop zone

thx for reporting the bugs. let's wait for Badass' comment on that.

Just a question.. I thought I read somewhere about a script that makes you run a lot faster... Is it in this mission?  Because when I run in this mission I run way faster and even walking is running... Thx.

EDIT: Seems I had time acceleration set to 2X by accident lol... been awhile since I played. I'd like to also say Thanks for the kick-ass mission.