Sign in to follow this  
Platoon RedHawk

Predator UAV

FDF,Operation french point, the recce car on the new BW mod release,and Swiss mod are the the only ones i know that have UAVs but i wouldnt mind seeing a UAV that can laser designate targets and fire Hellfire missles too.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Yeah i was making a Predator - i have the models but the scripting was lost when my hard disk crashed.

I just havent had much time lately to spend on OFP projects.

I'll hopefully pick it up in the very near future but if someone would like to cooperate with me on the scripts i'd appreciate it.

I can create a demo mission for it once its done. I hope that can be any help.

ye sim workign on a rq1 predator

the model is done

it onyl needs scripting

lets see how fast ill get it in ofp

rq1a0jx.th.jpg

rq1b8gk.th.jpg

Guest RKSL-Rock
ye sim workign on a rq1 predator

the model is done

it onyl needs scripting

lets see how fast ill get it in ofp

[uR=http://img137.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img137ℑ=rq1a0jx.jpg][im]http://img137.exs.cx/img137/4491/rq1a0jx.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[uR=http://img137.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img137ℑ=rq1b8gk.jpg][im]http://img137.exs.cx/img137/448/rq1b8gk.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I thought that was only for VBS1?

Anyway - I have a fully textured model in both current schemes but no scripts atm - but i am in negoitation with someone witht he control scripts to allow it to work properly as it would inthe real world.  smile_o.gif  Failing that i'll re-write it myself crazy_o.gif might cause a slight delay though...

I'm sure that some of you have seen this one before, but thought I'd post it anyways since it hasn't been mentioned yet. I've had this addon for a long time now, but don't know where it can be downloaded now.

It's the Dragon Warrior UAV, by Vladimir. It is remotely controlled by the player, with a decent control interface. The model is basic and there are a few small bugs that I've noticed, but I think that the scripting portion of it would make for a good start or reference if anyone wanted to check it out.

I'll post screenshot links below, and if anyone wants to host it let me know and I'll send you a .zip or .rar of the addon and demo mission. I haven't tried contacting the author myself yet, thought I'd leave that up to anyone who is interested in finding out more about it. This is the beta 04 copy (?), if anyone has a more recent version please let me know.

Idle UAV, walk up to it to add action to start it up

Here you can see the user "start" action, plus size comparison with human player

This is the start screen, click the link here to activate the UAV

Activating the UAV will send it on it's way, and add action to view the UAV's camera

Once you have control, take off and begin your flight

Controls are by slider bars, and take some getting used to

Flying over armor column, zoomed out

Zooming in on armored column

Zoomed out, looking at player. Notice the spec on ground down and left of crosshair

Zoomed in on player from same point, notice zoom magnification level

View from player, as UAV moves closer. Player can switch between normal view and UAV controls at any time

UAV through scope view

Can take damage from weapons fire and can crash, acts just like aircraft

UAV going down

This being an older addon and still beta version, I think many have already seen it. But I think it helps point in the right direction for future UAV scripts?

I have it too somewhere, an excellent little addon. Only limitation is the crappy slider system for controls. That could probably be replaceed by a spiffy looking console with direction buttons.

Yes, the controls of that addon are a bit "jittery" in the version I have. The slider controls can be annoying to use, especially if you are trying to operate it over enemy territory where fast controls might be needed. As you change the UAV's speed it tends to drift a lot and you have to use the drift slider to compensate for it. I think the hover ability is useful, but not realistic for modern UAV's.

But I think that looking over the script for the addon in general will help with working out an improved script system for current or future projects. It's not the best, but it's a start I think that will help those addon makers having trouble with scripts right now. As mentioned, changing the controls interface to something simpler and more realistic would be nice, and giving the controls a little more smoothness and better zoom levels would help. Maybe even a script to keep the camera automatically focused onto a locked target, and allow the operator to concentrate more on controlling the movement of the UAV and less on the camera controls. Manual control is still a must but an auto-track feature would be nice too.

I have the original file with .pbo, demo mission, and readme files. If anyone would like a copy just let me know. I'd be happy to share it, and maybe someone can host it for download. Again, it is old, but makes for a good reference for new ideas.

a couple of days ago i was talking with a friend about this exact addon, but i didnt know that someone already atempted to build it!

that model in the screenies seems a litle bit crapy, but the 3d model is the easy part here i think. the scripting is the hard work i guess... but from what those screenshots show most of the scripting is already done right? hope so!

coincidence or not i saw a 1h documentary of the predator last week on history channel, so from what i remember every predators have a controling truck placed somewhere with 2 guys operating it. the driver and the cameras guy.

so what u guys think about that truck option? would it be possible to use a truck that operates predator? (the floating laptop is kind of...ugly)

i see a great chalenge here guys, so lets try to make this predator idea came alive!! wink_o.gif

@blackjack

Quote[/b] ]that model in the screenies seems a litle bit crapy

i which u eman the rq1 or the dragon fly?

the rq1/mq1 predators are controled form an special operations center not froma truck or so

they are eitehr guided by los tracking radar or via satelite

if anyone wants id be glad if someone woudl help mo out scripting it....

Guest RKSL-Rock
he rq1/mq1 predators are controled form an special operations center not froma truck or so

they are eitehr guided by los tracking radar or via satelite

Actually thats not really true they can be controlled (and usually are in the field) from a 5t Truck converted specifically for the use.  

Quote[/b] ]The Predator system is composed of three parts: the air vehicle [a derivative of the Gnat 750] with its associated sensors and communications equipment, the ground control station (GCS), and the product or data dissemination system. One Predator system has four air vehicles with sensors and data links, one Ground Control Station (GCS), and one Trojan Spirit II SATCOM system.
Quoted from Global Security

I have the dragon Fly its the same interface as is used by the Frenchpoint UAV too....cant say im too fond of that either but its great for the multiple setup they used.

the rq1 model looks great. just a good texture job now, and its perfect.

the "crapy" one was the dragon war, and i didnt wanted to sound arsh, so i'm sory for the selected adjective. it is just not eyecandy...that rq1 IS the thing.

About the control station, you'r right, the 2 guys are confortably seated on a military base thousands of miles away. but i also remember the usa army using a truck in the batlefield area. i think they coordinate the data they want from predator---orders in the batlefield, check targets destruction,etc...

But even that i saw that documentary drunk, i think a truck wont be a bad idea in our ofp world... i can imagine it in cti's as a great tool, and in coops with a good mission maker messing around.

So lets try to make this predator alive, maybe mixing the 2 existing pieces of it. (rq1 model with dragon war script), and write 1 more chapter on the long ofp history- remote controled vehicles!

thank you RockofSL for confirming that i was not drunk and there's a truck involved smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
@ Feb. 25 2005,22:03)]thank you RockofSL for confirming that i was not drunk and there's a truck involved smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]The UAV Ground Control Station (GCS) is a 30x8x8 foot, triple-axle, commercially available trailer. This trailer is not configured for air mobility and requires special handling to load and unload from C-130 and C-141 aircraft. The trailer incorporates an integral uninterrupted power supply (UPS), environmental control system (cooling only), pilot and payload operator (PPO) workstations, data exploitation,- mission planning,- communication (DEMPC) terminals, and synthetic aperture radar (SAR) workstations. All mission imagery recording is located in the GCS since the Predator has no onboard recording capability. Power is supplied either by commercially supplied power or by dual external 35 kw generators. The entire GCS is transportable by a C-130.

I actually quoted the wrong paragraph... but you are welcome smile_o.gif

Regarding the "crappy" pics....it's my fault. I'm using an onboard 16MB video card, with my 900MHz cpu and only 384MB ram....so my visual settings are a bit low as you can imagine. Also, that Dragon Warrior addon as pictured was the beta version, still not complete.

cypher2.jpg

As you can see in this link the model for the Dragon Warrior UAV wasn't bad. It's not as much "eyecandy" as the Predator versions, but it did serve its design. Anyways, the point in showing those screenshots was to show one that is working and for others that haven't see it yet to get an idea of what was being done a while ago. By reviewing the basic scripting from that addon, it might help give suggestions or ideas in working out a new set of scripts for a new UAV.

And it is true that some UAV's have operated with ground vehicles. Below is a photo showing one, sorry it doesn't show too much though.

dragonwarrior.jpg

For more info, check out UAV Forum

yes ive been wrong here

it seems that they use diffrent stations

not only stationary as i thought

wot so ever

they always have a satelite near by so

wot ever biggrin_o.gif

Edit:agh!.. never drunk again never!!