Tactical Decision Game #05–1

Bound for Trouble

by Paul Turnan

Quote[/b] ]

0105tdg.gif

Bound for Trouble

by Paul Turnan

Situation

Your battalion conducts a heliborne assault to secure river crossings for the rest of the brigade advancing over land. Your company is in the initial helowave. Its mission is to secure the approaches to the landing zone (LZ) to allow for the unhindered insertion of the rest of your battalion. Your rifle platoon is tasked to advance along a road leading from the LZ to guard against an enemy attack into the LZ.

The enemy in this area is expected to be foot-mobile infantry of varying quality, operating in units up to company size, well-equipped with mortars and machineguns, and possibly supported by light armor.

The region is agricultural, cut by narrow roads, dotted with substantial farmhouses and tiny villages. Fieldstone walls or earthen embankments bound fields, pastures, and orchards.

You are the 1st Squad leader. One machinegun is traveling with your squad. The platoon is using bounding overwatch to move to contact. Your squad is crossing through an enclosed orchard when, through the leaves, you spot a column of enemy infantry on the road about 400 meters away. The enemy seems oblivious to your squad. You believe you are unsighted. The time is now 0820.

Requirement

In 2 minutes issue orders to your squad. Provide the rationale for your actions and a sketch of your plan.

What is your solution? smile_o.gif

One thing that has always, always amused me is that everybody screams for realism in their addons but next to nobody goes for realism in their missions. 99.2% of all the missions I've played in OFP (including the BIS missions) are totally fanciful from a military standpoint. You're either an elite special forces operator trapped behind enemy lines going against a total hodgepodge of enemy forces or you're a member of an elite special forces squad dropped behind enemy lines going against a total hodgepodge of enemy forces.

The missions I make for my little MP group are, I think, pretty realistic. One of our favorites right now involves a US Tank Company (14 tanks, reinforced with 2 M-3 CFVs plus the company support element) moving to contact an Iranian reinforced tank battalion (31 T-72 tanks plus a BMP infantry company and battalion scout platoon). It's awesomely fun, and charging across the desert areas of Tonal (for lack of a more appropriate desert map) in the commander's hatch of one of King Homer's M1A2s is a fantastic feeling and it's totally multiplied when you've got an entire company of tanks on-line and firing away.

I realize that not everyone has served in the military, let alone a combat unit. But I think that the resources are out there for any mission maker produce realistic missions just the same as there are resources that allow addon makers to produce hugely detailed and realistic addons.

It seems to me that mission makers are more concerned with cinematics and over-the-top action than they are with realism. I say to you: REALISTIC MISSIONS CAN BE FUN TOO!

This TDG idea is brilliant - if one or two or three mission makers start churning out a TDG once a month or so I think we'll see the quality of missions increase dramatically as more people are exposed to realistic military situations. There's a massive back catalogue of these TDGs and nearly all of them involve small unit tactics, which is perfect for OFP. Surely someone can find an interesting scenario they would want to make.

Well is there some experienced soldier to rate my solution? smile_o.gif

I think the whole idea is that if someone made a mission like this then you could find your own solution within OFP. You'll be able to know what went right or wrong and you can run it over again and again. wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Realism is quite a relative term. For example: would you call a film Band of Brothers relistic? It is based on true history, but I thing there are many not much realistic scenes or details. I´m mission designer and to be frank I rather vary it. Once I make rather realistic mission next I make some less realistic one (however I try to let it be at least logical and realistic in other ways than the theme - for example some infiltration features that OFP lacks).

Some players like realistic ones, some not...

This time I replaced leader of OP85 project which tries to come with realistic campaign for specnaz however there are not many sources of specnaz doctrines so again it is a bit relative term. At least from the time I design the themes of new missions I give more attention to reconnaisence and logical partysan defensive doctrines in mountain terrain.

Those TDG should be done as MP ones, since OFP have some quite different rules due to AI.

AI may be the OPFOR, but I´d rather not send AI MG to cover me from building, its also hard to let half of your squad throw granades at right disperse on enemy at right time and use leapfrog withdraw under covering fire.

Quote[/b] ]Realism is quite a relative term.

True. But I think there are ways to make missions more realistic than most are. For example, in a Soviet-style OPFOR you'd never find T-72s and T-80s mixed together at the battlefield level. Same with BMP-1s and BMP-2s. One Division may have T-72s and BMP-1s, but you won't find one platoon with BMP-2s and another with BMP-1s in the same company. Squad compositions are another big thing - modern US infantry squads are NOT the same as what OFP groups are. Russian style tank platoons almost always have THREE tanks, not four.

Mission briefings are another big thing. If someone would just take the time to make a good Warning Order or FRAGO for their mission briefing then that would enhance the mission tremendously. Even small things like spelling and proper terms. I absolutely hate it when I play a mission and some mission maker talks about an "M-1A1 Squad" or "Apache Squadron". If people would just to a little bit of research then you'd realize that these things don't exist and it helps ruin the atmosphere of a mission when you say it. All this information is publicly available.

I think one of the root causes of mission making not being as popular as addon making, and relating to that why we have so few missions for so many addons, is that people WANT realism and almost NOBODY gives it to them. I think the FDF mod did a great job with their missions because in a lot of cases they did them realistically.

One of the projects that the community is working slowly and silently toward that I hope to become involved in is the WWIII project, headed up by the CSLA mod. When this project gets off the ground, I promise that if I have anything to say about it, the missions will all be based in real doctrine and tactics. If you're a scout team leader on the intra-German border you'll have a detailed OpOrder telling you the entire situation, your forces will be exactly as American organizations were at the time and you'd be attacked by a realistic Soviet force (say, a Motor Rifle Company or Tank Company with artillery support).

One of the things I'm hoping to see as a result of this thread is the posting here, hopefully made a Sticky, of the Tables of Organization and Equipment (TOE) for those forces that are bit harder to find. I've many field manuals, etc. detailing U.S. and Soviet TOEs, but I'm hoping we can get the Tables for Finnish, Polish, Czeck, British, etc. forces posted, if not here, then made avail at OFPEC. Most mods are including squads and "platoons", as found under Groups/F2, but perhaps they can be persuaded to include in a read-me the Tables for their forces, from team/section up to battalion.

Your points are qite true, however its not easy to get all informations of such "details".

I quite spent a lot time searching for informations about Russian Naval Infantry and VDV in 1985 and their equipment and units, but I can´t realy say have enough information to be sure to give the campaign very high realism. It quite realistic for people that are concerned with military units and so on, but some russians concerned with especialy those units may laugh. smile_o.gif

It would not be a bad idea to create a topic with links to sites containing information about various things to improve level of realism in missions.

Of course, people should post only information from very sure sources, not post their toughts what is realistic as peaople vary in the level of knowledge or personal experience.

Also, those points you wrote seems to me just like details, which gives the feeling only to realistic concepted mission.

It needs good knowledge of Russian and NATO doctrines and it is not easy to learn in week, because officers of both sides studied it a few years. So the point is as I wrote to create a topic with chosen information providing relatively fast brief to such stuff.

I'm pinning this because I think it's definately worthwhile. Post any tactics, organizations, scenario ideas or resources based on real-world militaries here.

This is the Holy of Holies for the US Army: The online field manual guide. Nearly all weapons, tactics and organizations are here.

http://globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/

For example:

Bradley Mechanized Platoon and Squad

fig1-1.gif

figa-2.gif

Ranger Operations

Ranger Special Ops: Raids

fig5-1.gif

Quote[/b] ]Figure 5-1. Five phases of a raid.

PHASE 1. The ranger force inserts or infiltrates into the objective area.

PHASE 2. The objective area is then sealed off from outside support or reinforcement, to include the enemy air threat.

PHASE 3. Any enemy force at or near the objective is overcome by surprise and violent attack, using all available firepower for shock effect.

PHASE 4. The mission is accomplished quickly before any surviving enemy can recover or be reinforced.

PHASE 5. The ranger force quickly withdraws from the objective area and is extracted.

fig5-2.gif

Figure 5-2. Airborne landing on the objective.

fig5-3.gif

Figure 5-3. Airborne landing distant from the objective.

Long Range Surveilliance Unit Operations

A British Platoon to the best of my knowlegde. This is all what we base ourselves around at RAAB anyway wink_o.gif. Unless otherwise mentioned assume rank = Private

HQ section

Contains the CO (a Lt)

Platoon Sgt (carries radio)

Medic (Cpl?)

3x Rifle Sections.

Each section contains:

Fireteam C

Section I/C (Cpl, carries a radio)

Soldier (SA80)

Soldier (UGL)

Support (LSW)

Fireteam D

Section 2I/C (LCpl, Carries radio)

Soldier (LAW)

Soldier (UGL)

Support (LMG)

Manouvre Support Section.

Section I/C (Rifleman, carries radio)

GPMG Gunner x 2

GPMG Assistant x2.

Somewhere on the Army website is a graphic of how it looks when it gets larger but cant find it to save my life.

Afaik mech inf only have 7 men per section due to the Warrior APC only carrying 7.

Here is circa 1989 Soviet TO&Es for higher level units (Battalion/Regiment/Brigade and above). Not exactly useful for squad and platoon level fights like in OFP, but it'll give you a good idea of the kind of support Soviet-style opposing forces will have.

Quote[/b] ]WARSAW PACT FORCES

GENERIC TABLE OF ORGANIZATION AND EQUIPMENT (TO&E)

1. FRONT (plus HQ element) (Wartime designation for a Group of Soviet Forces):

a. 3-5 Combined Arms or Tank Armies: see TO&E #2 or #3 below

b. 1-2 Artillery Divisions: see TO&E #7 below

c. 1-2 Airborne Divisions (Theater forces allocated to Front): see TO&E #6 below (not at all Fronts)

d. 1 High Powered Artillery Brigade: 24 2S7, 24 2S4

e. 1-2 SSM Brigades: 27 SCUDb or SS-23 per brigade

f. 1 Air Assault or Airmobile Brigade: see TO&E #8 or #9 below (not at all Fronts)

g. 1 Spetsnaz Brigade: up to 2000 personnel, 3-4 battalions, 80-100 teams total

h. 1-3 SAM Brigade: 27 SA-4 or SA-5

i. 1 Engineer Brigade: 20 TMM, 12 MTU, 36 PMP, 24 GSP, 28 K-61, 12 BTM, 12 GMZ, 3 MTK

j. 1-2 Pontoon Bridge Regiments: 4 TMM, 108 PMP, 8 K-61, 3 BTM per regiment

k. 1-3 Assault Crossing Battalions: 40 GSP, 36 K-61 per battalion

2. COMBINED ARMS ARMY: (same as Guards Army)

a. Army HQ:

b. 2-3 Motorized Rifle Divisions: see TO&E #4 below

c. 1-2 Tank Divisions: see TO&E #5 below

d. 1 Artillery Brigade: 48 2S5 (24 per battalion), 48 D-20 (24 per battalion) or 36 M-46 and 54 D-20

e. 1 Rocket Launcher Regiment: 54 BM-27 (18 per battalion) (not in all armies)

f. 1 SSM Brigade: 12 or 18 SCUDb

g. 1-2 SAM Brigades: 27 SA-4 or SA-5 per brigade

h. 1 Anti-Tank Regiment: 36 T-12 AT guns, 27 BRDM-3 (12/9 per battalion)

i. 1 Independent Tank Brigade: 156 Tanks, 18 2S1, 4 2S6 or ZSU, 4 SA-13 or SA-9 (not in all armies)

j. 1 Air Assault Battalion: 500 personnel, 17 BMD, 9 SA-14/16, 6 AGS-17, 8 120mm mortars (not in all armies) k. 1 Spetsnaz Battalion or Company: 3 to 5 teams per company, 4-11 pers per team (not in all armies)

l. 1 Attack Helicopter Regiment: 40 MI-24 (20 per squadron), 20 MI-8 (not in all armies)

m. 1 General Purpose Helicopter Squadron: 30 helicopters (mix of MI-8 and MI-2) (not in all armies)

n. 1-2 Engineer Brigades: 20 TMM, 12 MTU, 36 PMP, 24 GSP, 28 K-61, 12 BTM, 12 GMZ per brigade

o. 1 Pontoon Bridge Regiment: 4 TMM, 108 PMP, 8 K-61, 3 BTM per regiment (not in all armies)

p. 1 Assault Crossing Battalion: 40 GSP, 36 K-61 (not in all armies)

q. 2 Chemical Decon Battalions: no organization available (not in all armies)

r. 1 Flamethrower Battalion: no organization available (not in all armies)

s. 2 Radio Intercept Battalions: 5 radio and intercept companies per battalion (not in all armies)

t. 1 Railroad Construction Brigade: no organization available (not in all armies)

3. TANK ARMY (same as Guards Tank or Shock Army)

a. Army HQ: same as CAA

b. 2-4 Tank Divisions: see TO&E #5 below

c. 1-2 Motorized Rifle Divisions: see TO&E #4 below

d. 1 Artillery Brigade: same as CAA

e. 1 Rocket Launcher Regiment: same as CAA

f. 1 SSM Brigade: same as CAA

g. 1-2 SAM Brigades: same as CAA

h. 1 Air Assault Battalion: same as CAA

i. 1 Spetsnaz Battalion or Company: same as CAA

j. 1 Attack Helicopter Regiment: same as CAA

k. 1 General Purpose Helicopter Squadron: same as CAA

l. 1-2 Engineer Brigades: same as CAA

m. 1 Pontoon Bridge Regiment: same as CAA

n. 1 Assault Crossing Battalion: same as CAA

o. 2 Chemical Decon Battalions: same as CAA

p. 1 Flamethrower Battalion: same as CAA

q. 2 Radio Intercept Battalions: same as CAA

r. 1 Railroad Construction Brigade: same as CAA

4. MOTORIZED RIFLE DIVISION (same as Guards MRD): 13294+ personnel, 220 Tanks, 160 BMP, 385 BTR

a. Divisional HQ: 245 personnel, 3 BTR's, 42 Trucks, 6 SA-7/14/16

b. 2 Motorized Rifle Regiments (BTR): 2523 personnel, 156 BTR per regiment - see TO&E #10 below

c. 1 Motorized Rifle Regiment (BMP): 2424 personnel, 142 BMP - see TO&E #11 below

d. 1 Tank Regiment: 1143 personnel, 94 Tanks - see TO&E #12 below

e. 1 Artillery Regiment: 1062 personnel, 48 2S3 (24 per battalion), 18 BM-21 (may have 36 D-20 in lieu of 2S3)

f. 1 SAM Regiment: 504 personnel, 20 SA-6/8/11/15 (4 per battery), 21 SA-7/14/16

g. 1 SSM Battalion: 170 personnel, 4 FROG-7/SS-21

h. 1 Anti-Tank Battalion: 195 personnel, 12 T-12 AT guns, 9 BRDM-3

i. 1 Recon Battalion: 340 personnel, 3 BRM, 12 BRDM-2, 12 BMP, 6 Tanks, 4 BRDM-2rkh

j. 1 Engineer Battalion: 395 personnel, 8 TMM, 6 GSP, 18 PMP, 12 K-61, 4 BTM, 2 MTK, 3 GMZ

k. 1 Helicopter Squadron: 200 personnel, 6 MI-24, 6 MI-8, 6 MI-2 (not in all divisions, none in NSWP)

l. 1 Independent Tank Battalion: 51 Tanks (not in all MRD's)

5. TANK DIVISION (same as Guards Tank): 11620+ personnel, 328 Tanks, 285 BMP

a. Divisional HQ: 245 personnel, 3 BTR's, 42 Trucks, 6 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Tank Regiments: 1640 personnel, 94 Tanks per regiment - see TO&E #13 below

c. 1 Motorized Rifle Regiment (BMP): 2424 personnel, 142 BMP - see TO&E #11below

d. 1 Artillery Regiment: 1062 personnel, 48 2S3 (24 per battalion), 18 BM-21

e. 1 SAM Regiment: 504 personnel, 20 SA-6/8/11/15 (4 per battery), 21 SA-7/14/16

f. 1 SSM Battalion: 170 personnel, 4 FROG-7/SS-21

g. 1 Recon Battalion: 340 personnel, 3 BRM, 12 BRDM-2, 12 BMP, 6 Tanks, 4 BRDM-2rkh

h. 1 Engineer Battalion: 395 personnel, 8 TMM, 6 GSP, 18 PMP, 12 K-61, 4 BTM, 2 MTK, 3 GMZ

i. 1 Helicopter Squadron: 200 personnel, 6 MI-24, 6 MI-8, 6 MI-2 (not in all divisions, none in NSWP divisions)

6. GUARDS AIRBORNE DIVISION: 6554 personnel, 348 BMD, 31 ASU-85

a. Divisional HQ: 160 personnel, 3 BMD, 6 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 BMD Regiments: 1473 personnel, 115 BMD per regiment - see TO&E #14 below

c. 1 assault Gun Battalion: 180 personnel, 31 ASU-85, 12 SA-7/14/16

d. 1 Artillery Regiment: 620 personnel, 30 D-30, 6 BM-21, 21 SA-7/14/16

e. 1 Anti-Aircraft Battalion: 155 personnel, 18 ZU-23, 12 SA-7/14/16

g. 1 Recon Company: 75 personnel, 6 SA-7/14/16

h. 1 Engineer Battalion: 220 personnel, 6 SA-7/14/16, 2 BTM

7. ARTILLERY DIVISION (same as Guards Artillery Division):

a. Divisional HQ:

b. 1 Gun Brigade: 72 2S7 or M-46 (24 tubes per battalion)

c. 1 Howitzer Brigade: 72 2S5, D-20, or D-30 (24 tubes per battalion)

d. 2 Howitzer Brigades: 72 D-30, D-20, or 2S3 per brigade (24 tubes per battalion)

e. 1 Rocket Launcher Brigade: 72 BM-21 or BM-27 (18 per battalion)

f. 1 Anti-Tank Brigade: 48 T-12 AT guns, 36 BRDM-3 (12/9 per battalion) not in all divisions

g. 1 Engineer Company: no information available

8. AIR ASSAULT BRIGADE: 2500+ personnel

a. Brigade HQ: 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 2 Assault Battalions (BMD): 34 BMD, 8 120mm mortar, 6 AGS-17, 9 SPG-9 and 9 SA-7/14/16 per Battalion

c. 2 Parachute Battalions: 500 pers, 6 manpack ATGM, 8 120mm mortar, 6 AGS-17, 9 SPG-9 and 9 SA-7/14/16 per Bn

d. 1 Recon Company: 4 BRDM-2

e. 1 Artillery Battalion: 18 D-30, 6 BM-21

f. 1 Air Defense Battery: 6 ZU-23, 6 SA-7/14/16

h. 1 Anti-tank Company: 9 BRDM-3, 6 SD 44

9. AIRMOBILE BRIGADE: 1850 personnel

a. Brigade HQ: 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Parachute battalions: 500 pers, 6 manpack ATGM, 8 120mm mortar, 6 AGS-17, and 9 SA-7/14/16 per Bn

c. 1 Howitzer Battery: 6 D-30

d. 1 Recon Company: 4 BRDM-2

e. 1 Anti-Tank Missile Battery: 9 BRDM-3

f. 1 Air Defense Battery: 6 SA-7/14/16

10. BTR MOTORIZED RIFLE REGIMENT (same as BTR Guards MRR): 2523 personnel, 40 Tanks, 156 BTR

a. Regimental HQ: 65 personnel, 3 BTR, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Motorized Rifle Battalions: 525 personnel, 47 BTR, 8 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16, 4 manpack ATGM, 6 AGS-17, and 3 BRDM-2 per battalion (some NSWP have FUG-70 or OT-64 in lieu of BTR)

c. 1 Tank Battalion: 165 personnel, 40 Tanks, 2 BTR

d. 1 Artillery Battalion: 240 personnel, 18 D-30

e. 1 Air Defense Battery: 60 personnel, 4 SA-9 or SA-13, 4 ZSU-23-4 or 2S6, 3 BTR

f. 1 Anti-Tank Missile Battery: 40 personnel, 9 BRDM-3, 4 BTR

g. 1 Recon Company: 55 personnel, 1 BRM, 3 BMP, 4 BRDM-2, 3 Motorcycles

h. 1 Engineer Company: 60 personnel, 1 MT-55, 4 TMM, 3 BTR

11. BMP MOTORIZED RIFLE REGIMENT (same as BMP Guards MRR): 2424 personnel, 40 Tanks, 142 BMP

a. Regimental HQ: 65 personnel, 1 BMP, 3 BTR, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Motorized Rifle Battalions: 497 personnel, 43 BMP, 8 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16, 6 AGS-17, and 3 BRDM-2 per battalion

c. 1 Tank Battalion: 165 personnel, 40 Tanks, 2 BMP

d. 1 Artillery Battalion: 220 personnel, 18 or 24 2S1 (some NSWP units may have 18 D-30)

e. 1 Air Defense Battery: 60 personnel, SA-13, 4 ZSU-23-4 or 2S6, 3 BMP

f. 1 Anti-Tank Missile Battery: 40 personnel, 9 BRDM-3, 4 BMP

g. 1 Recon Company: 55 personnel, 1 BRM, 3 BMP, 4 BRDM-2, 3 Motorcycles

h. 1 Engineer Company: 60 personnel, 1 MT-55, 4 TMM, 3 BTR

12. TANK REGIMENT to a MOTORIZED RIFLE DIVISION: 1143 personnel,

a. Regimental HQ: 65 personnel, 1 Tank, 2 BTR, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Tank Battalions: 135 personnel, 31 Tanks, and 2 BMP per battalion

c. 1 Artillery Battalion: 220 personnel, 18 or 24 2S1 (some NSWP units have 18 D-30)

d. 1 Air Defense Battery: 60 personnel, 4 SA-13, 4 ZSU-23-4 or 4 2S6, 3 BMP

e. 1 Recon Company: 55 personnel, 1 BRM, 3 BMP, 4 BRDM-2, 3 Motorcycles

f. 1 Engineer Company: 70 personnel, 3 MT-55, 4 TMM

13. TANK REGIMENT to a TANK DIVISION (same as Guards Tank Regiment): 1640 personnel, 94 Tanks, 54 BMP

a. Regimental HQ: 65 personnel, 1 Tank, 2 BTR, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Tank Battalions: 135 personnel, 31 Tanks, and 2 BMP per battalion

c. 1 Motorized Rifle Battalions: 497 personnel, 43 BMP, 8 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16, 6 AGS-17, 3 BRDM-2

c. 1 Artillery Battalion: 220 personnel, 18 or 24 2S1 (some NSWP units have 18 D-30)

d. 1 Air Defense Battery: 60 personnel, 4 SA-13, 4 ZSU-23-4 or 4 2S6, 3 BMP

e. 1 Recon Company: 55 personnel, 1 BRM, 3 BMP, 4 BRDM-2, 3 Motorcycles

f. 1 Engineer Company: 70 personnel, 3 MT-55, 4 TMM

14. GUARDS AIRBORNE BMD REGIMENT: 1473 personnel, 115 BMD

a. Regimental HQ: 60 personnel, 4 BMD, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 3 Airborne Battalions: 316 personnel, 37 BMD, 9 SA-7/14/16, 6 AGS-17 per battalion

c. 1 Mortar Battery: 60 personnel, 6 120mm mortars

d. 1 ATGM Battery: 45 personnel, 9 BRDM-3, 3 SA-7/14/16

e. 1 Anti-Aircraft Battery: 45 personnel, 6 ZU-23, 3 SA-7/14/16

f. 1 Engineer Company: 60 personnel

15. NAVAL INFANTRY BRIGADE: 3000+ personnel

a. Brigade HQ: 60 personnel, 4 BTR-80, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 4 Naval Infantry Battalions: 400+ personnel, 34 BTR-80, 3 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16 per battalion

c. 1 Tank Battalion: 188 personnel, 41 PT-76, 3 BTR-80

d. 1 Artillery Battalion: 220 personnel, 18 2S1

e. 1 Rocket Launcher Battalion: 255 personnel, 18 BM-21

f. 1 Anti-tank Battalion: 100+ personnel, 18 BRDM-3

g. 1 Recon Company: 50 personnel, 3 PT-76, 9 BRDM-2

h. 1 Air Defense Battery: 58 personnel, 4 SA-13, 4 2S6

i. 1 Engineer Company: 70 personnel, 3 K-61

16. MOTORIZED RIFLE BRIGADE - 4000 personnel

a. Brigade HQ: 65 personnel, 3 BTR-7-, 3 SA-7/14/16

b. 1 Tank Battalion: 165 personnel, 40 T-62, 2 BMP-2

c. 1 BMP Motorized Rifle Battalion: 497 personnel, 43 BMP-2, 8 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16, 6 AGS-17, and 3 BRDM-2 per battalion

d. 1 BTR Motorized Rifle Battalion: 525 personnel, 47 BTR-70, 8 120mm mortar, 9 SA-7/14/16, 4 manpack ATGM, 6 AGS-17, and 3 BRDM-2

e. 1 Air Assault Battalion: 500 personnel, 6 manpack ATGM, 8 120mm mortar, 6 AGS-17, and 9 SA-7/14/16

f. 1 Artillery Battalion: 240 personnel, 24 2S1

g. 1 MRL Battalion: 255 personnel, 18 BM-21

17. FRONTAL AIR FORCES.

a. 2-3 Fighter Divisions: 3 Fighter regiments per division - 45 MIG-21, MIG-23, MIG-29 or SU-27 per regiment

b. 2-3 Fighter-Bomber Divisions: 3 FB regiments per division - 45 MIG-27, SU-17, SU-24, or SU-25 per regiment

c. 1-2 Recon Regiments: 45 MIG-21R, MIG-25R or MIG-31R per regiment

d. 1-2 Transport Helicopter Regiments: 24 MI-6 or MI-26 and 32 MI-8 per regiment

e. 1 General Purpose Helicopter Squadron: 30 MI-8 and MI-2

Think its good to bring in direct link to the part needed for proper briefings (even when it can be founded from Field Manual link) - comand and mission planing on platoon level:

http://globalsecurity.org/militar....ap2.htm

Infantry riffle platoon/squad overview, command (link above), offensive and deffensive operations and so on:

http://globalsecurity.org/militar....ex.html

Infantry riffle company: http://globalsecurity.org/militar....ex.html

At home I have an HTML format for briefings that I use in the OFP missions I play with some friends, based on US OPORDs. I'll post it here and anyone that wants to use it in their mission briefings is free to do so.

Those links you provided are perfect for knowing what kind of info you want to plug into the Opord, Munch. smile_o.gif

French Army info for all you Frenchpoint Fans:

Quote[/b] ]1) How many Light Role Bn`s are there in the French Army?

6 Bn on VABs APCs and 3 mountain Bn with VABs and BV226s (including the armoured version)

2) " " Para Bn`s " " " " " " ?

4 Para Bn; they also have VABs; you can also add 1 SF Bn

3) " " Armourede Inf Bn`s vou`ve got?

6 Bn with the outdated AMX10PH which should be replaced by the VBCI around...2010 ?

4) Are there any plans to reduce or expand the Bn`s

None that I am aware of

5) Are there any decisions made what rifle will be used for FELIN?

A converted FAMAS with a Picatiny rail and no handguard; it's ugly as hell.

There are also several small Bn overseas with a size ranging from 2 to 5 companies staffed with a mix of permanently based (for 2 years) and rotation (4 months) companies.

List of the infantry units:

Le 1er Régiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes (1er RCP) de PAMIERS

Le 1er Régiment de Tirailleurs (1er RTir) d'EPINAL

Le 1er Régiment d'Infanterie (1er RI) de SARREBOURG

Le 110e Régiment d'Infanterie (110e RI) de DONAUESCHINGEN (Germany)

Le 126e Régiment d'Infanterie (126e RI) de BRIVE

Le 13e Bataillon de Chasseurs Alpins (13e BCA) de ST ALBAN

Le 132e Bataillon Cynophile de l'Armée de Terre (132e BCAT) de SUIPPES (K9 unit with the largest kennel in Europe, over 700 dogs)

Le 152e Régiment d'Infanterie (152e RI) de COLMAR

Le 16e Bataillon de Chasseurs (16e BC) de SAARBURG (Germany)

Le 22e Bataillon d'Infanterie (22e BI) de LYON (administrative unit, non-combat roled)

Le 27e Bataillon de Chasseurs Alpins (27e BCA) d'ANNECY

Le 35e Régiment d'Infanterie (35e RI) de BELFORT

Le 43e Régiment d'Infanterie (43e RI) de LILLE (specializes in setting up Div Level command posts; works for the French HRF HQ)

Le 57e Bataillon d'Infanterie (57e BI) de BORDEAUX (administrative unit, non-combat roled)

Le 92e Régiment d'Infanterie (92e RI) de CLERMONT FERRAND

Le 7e Bataillon de Chasseurs Alpins (7e BCA) de BOURG SAINT MAURICE

L’Ecole d’Application de l’Infanterie (EAI) de MONTPELLIER (Infantry school)

Le Centre d'Entraînement de l'Infanterie au Tir Opérationnel (CEITO) de LA CAVALERIE (Combat shooting complex)

L'École des Troupes Aéroportées (ETAP) de PAU (airborne school)

And now, the "Troupes de Marine" units (former colonial troops)

Le 2e Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (2e RPIMa) de PIERREFONDS (Réunion)

Le 2e Régiment d'Infanterie de Marine (2e RIMa) du MANS

Le 21e Régiment d'Infanterie de Marine (21e RIMa) de FREJUS

Le 22e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (22e BIMa) de NANTES (administrative unit, non-combat roled)

Le 23e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (23e BIMa) de DAKAR (Sénégal)

Le 3e Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (3e RPIMa) de CARCASSONNE

Le 3e Régiment d'Infanterie de Marine (3e RIMa) de VANNES

Le 33e Régiment d'Infanterie de Marine (33e RIMa) de FORT-DE-FRANCE (Martinique)

Le 41e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (41e BIMa) de POINTE-A-PITRE (Guadeloupe)

Le 43e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (43e BIMa) de PORT-BOUET (Côte d'Ivoire)

Le 5e Régiment interarmes d'outre-mer (5e RIAOM) de DJIBOUTI

Le 6e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (6e BIMa) de LIBREVILLE (Gabon)

Le 72e Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine (72e BIMa) de MARSEILLE (administrative unit, non-combat roled)

Le 8e Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (8e RPIMa) de CASTRES

Le 1er Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMA) de BAYONNE (SF unit)

It doesn't include the Foreign Legion, though, who has the following units (From Wikipedia):

Mainland France

1st Foreign Cavalry Regiment (1 REC), based in Orange (armored troops) (1er Régiment Etranger de Cavalerie)

2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment (2 REI), based in Nîmes, (2Äme Régiment Etranger d'Infanterie)

6th Foreign Engineer Regiment, based near Avignon, (6Äme Régiment Etranger de Génie)

2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment, to be based on the Plateau d'Albion, (2Äme Régiment Etranger de Génie)

1st Foreign Regiment (1 RE), based in Aubagne (Legion headquarters), (1er Régiment Etranger)

4th Foreign Regiment, based in Castelnaudary (training); (4eme Régiment Etranger)

in Corsica

2nd Foreign Parachutist Regiment (2 REP), based in Calvi; (2Äme Régiment Etranger de Parachutistes)

French Overseas Territories

3rd Foreign Infantry Regiment (3 REI), based in French Guyana, (3Äme Régiment Etranger d'Infanterie)

5th Foreign Regiment, based in French Polynesia, (5eme Régiment Etranger)

detachment of the Foreign Legion (DLEM) in Mayotte; (Detachment Legion Etranger de Mayotte)

Africa

13th Demi-Brigade of Foreign Legion (13 DBLE), based in Djibouti. (13Äme Demi-Brigade de Légion ÉtrangÄre)

I just made a mission with this thread in mind and it's great.

You need real tactics to win, else 4 Soviet squads could obliterate you heh.

Basically you have to clear an LZ so that friendly troops can land and help take the town the the West. That may sound easy, but you havn't seen the Soviet MG squad, mechanized squad, and 2 supporting infantry squads that are defending the area.

It's alot more fun than normal missions, and it lets you try out different tactics to win it.

This thread is a must!

The following is the standard 5-paragraph Operations Order I use in most of my mission briefings. Feel free to edit the information as you see fit and use it for yourself. This particular mission was designed as an open ended giant MP mission/campaign on Tonal using BAS and Combat stuff that still needs tons of work...

See Munch's post above for more info on how to fill out the OpOrd - I'm not presenting mine as gospel 100% accurate.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"><html>

<! ******************************************************************* >

<! ***** Briefing file for Operation Flashpoint >

<! ***** Generated by HAMMY's Command Reference >

<! ***** Briefing Wizard >

<! ******************************************************************* >

<head>

<title>Briefing</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor = "white">

<! ****************************************** >

<! ***** Notes section in handwriting >

<h2><a name = "Main"></a></h2><h6><P>

<FONT SIZE="6" COLOR="#000000">Mission design by Hellfish6.</P><BR><BR>

Special thanks to the whole OFP editing community.</a>

</h6><hr>

<! ***** Plan section >

<p><a name ="plan"></a>

<BR><BR>

Insurgency!<BR><BR><BR>

<a href="#situation">SITUATION</a><BR><BR>

<a href="#mission">MISSION</a><BR><BR>

<a href="#execution">EXECUTION</a><BR><BR>

<a href="#service">SERVICE SUPPORT</a><BR><BR>

<a href="#command">COMMAND AND SIGNAL</a><BR><BR>

<BR><BR>

</P>

<hr>

<hr>

<h2><a name="situation"></a>SITUATION</h2>

<P><br>Task Force 21 has recently arrived in country. Your TF is composed of a company from the 5th Special Forces Group located at <a href = "marker:base">Camp Pablo</a> along with aviation and security elements.</P><BR>

<BR>

<P>The friendly host nation is experiencing a widespread insurgency in the desert wastes of the country. As part of the current US policy of pre-emptive counterterror strikes, Task Force 21 has been dispatched to help before the situation gets out of hand.</P><BR>

<BR>

<P>Enemy forces in the vicinity are thought to be comprised of 50-300 fighters, with some heavy weaponry, light vehicles and possibly light armor. Some foriegn Jihadi fighters may also be present. The enemy is widely dispersed with strong concentrations in the urban centers. It is also believed that a local warlord has set up his headquarters in your AO. His capture or elimination would be a great help to the host country.</p>

<BR>

<P>

<BR><BR>

<a href="#plan">BACK TO FRONT</a></P>

<BR><BR>

<hr>

<hr>

<h2><a name="mission"></a>MISSION</h2>

<P><BR>TF 21 conducts counterguerilla operations across the entire AO. </p>

<BR><BR>

<BR><BR>

<hr>

<hr>

<h2><a name="execution"></a>EXECUTION</h2>

<P>At TF leader's discretion.</p>

<p>

<BR><BR>

<BR><BR>

<hr>

<hr>

<h2><a name="service"></a>SERVICE SUPPORT</h2>

<P>Resupply at <a href = "marker:base">Camp Pablo.</a></p>

<BR><BR>

<p>

<BR><BR>

<hr>

<hr>

<h2><a name="command"></a>COMMAND AND SIGNAL</h2>

<FONT SIZE="4" COLOR=""><P>

Echo 14: Your callsign<BR>

Check Radio Menu for Fire Support Frequencies.<BR>

<BR><BR></FONT>

<BR><BR>

<hr>

<p>

<! **** Objective 1 **** >

<a href = "marker:obj1">Eliminate Warlords</a>

</p><hr>

<p>

<! **** Objective 2 **** >

<a href = "marker:target">Eliminate Advisor.</a>

</p><hr>

<! ***** Debriefing >

<! **** End #1 **** >

<hr><br><h2><p><a name = "Debriefing:End1">

Success

</a></p></h2><br><p>

Excellent work securing the sector.

</p><br>

<! **** End #2 **** >

<hr><br><h2><p><a name = "Debriefing:End2">

Failure

</a></p></h2><br><p>

In light of the failure of this mission, the Rebels have become emboldened and are gaining strength.

</p><br>

<! **** End #3 **** >

<hr><br><h2><p><a name = "Debriefing:End3">

</a></p></h2><br><p>

</p><br>

</body>

</html>

Czech 4. Fast Reaction Brigade (4. Brigada rychleho nasazeni)

Now its "part" of 1.UK armoured division in NATO (ARRC) forces.

• 41. mechanizovany prapor (41.mpr) (mechanized battalion)

• 42. mechanizovany prapor (42.mpr) (mechanized battalion)

• 43. vysadkovy prapor (43.vpr) (airborne mechanized battalion)

• 46. delostrelecky oddil (46.do) (artillery section)

• 4. pruzkumny prapor (4.pzpr) (reconbattalion)

• 4. spojovaci prapor (4.spojpr) (signal battalion)

• 4. zenijni prapor (4.zpr) (engineer battalion)

• 4. prapor logistiky (4.prlog) (logistic battalion)

• 4. zdravotni rota (4.zdrr) (medical company)

• 4. rota chemicke ochrany (4.rcho) (chemical company)

Objectives in war:

- fighting airborne enemy in deep of own territory

- destruction of srategic objects or organization and control of small groups warfare

- reconnaisence

- distruption of enemy command, logistic system, seizing key (strategic) areas and objects and its defence

source: www.army.cz (translated from Czech; i removed some symbols in czech words (such as long a, long y a.s.o.) for sake of no bugs on english systems)

<warning: person without army training>

well I certainly don't mind realism in OFP missions, but what puts me off most of the times is the cryptic usage of acronyms in briefings and radio comms that are absolutely Chinese to me and that make it almost impossible for me to understand what is expected: "Get your TF to the AO, but take care to check the Bn on all TTA's at any time. Contact your AFFA after DD and then proceed to extraction".

could somebody please clarify the most commonly used acronyms?

<warning off>

Q1:  What's FDFMod got that isn't anywhere else?  What makes it the only example of realism? What 'things' are we to base our realism on?

OK, so that's three questions . . .

AI have an adequate basic reactive intelligence 'out of the box'.  I don't know why some people seem to think you should be able to drop SoldierE on an island and he'll display the skills of whoever-they-believe-to-be-the-best-tactical-and-strategic-genius-ever (not going to start an argument there!).  But I suggest that AI will only be as intelligent as the mission designer can (or can be bothered to) make them . . .

In real life, if you sit on a reverse slope with enough ammunition it's not impossible you could defeat an army if it comes over the crest one at a time (aka defeat in detail).  But a real army is unlikely to give you that opportunity - it isn't realistic as a tactic or as an expectation of the poor squaddies.

I suspect if the 1000 came over in one go (not much more elegant, but much less unrealistic) it would be a slightly different outcome.

OK, now apply that most basic realistic tactical concept of fire and movement: 500 swarm over the hill, get down and start shooting at you, then their 500 mates come over and kept coming; well, pop quiz: whatcha gonna do?

Clue: rhymes with 'dye'.

Point is, a couple of semi-intelligent waypoints per group and the mission ceases to be fun because you're going to spend a lot of time dying; survival becomes a matter of luck, not skill.  My (limited) experience is that you actually need to build in a bit of unreality to give you a reasonable chance of surviving a 'realistic' mission.

Again, it's an unsubstantiated opinion, but I 'feel' that there are a lot of designers who spend far more time tittivating friendly forces rather than the enemy, but it's the enemy that make the game.

At the risk of flogging the dead horse, my belief is that a mission maker trying to implement the TDG that started all this shouldn't be thinking about the best tactic the player could use against the enemy.  He's far better off wondering how the enemy would best react to the various things the friendlies might do and spend time programming an approximation to those reactions.  Then just drop in the player with his 11 mates, sit back and see what happens . . .

(I'd love to put my money where my mouth is, but other things to finish first . . .)

Well if I was going to build a scenario based on the TDG, I'd plop the player's forces down without any waypoints or anything at all. Just a simple "Here you go - if you read the breifing you'll know what's going on." Then I'd set up a lot of randomization in the mission - like variable timed waypoints for the enemy, a chance they may be reinforced, etc. so that each mission will have the enemy doing something different.

The only downside to this would be that the solutions to the TDG would be inconsistent - one player may encounter a reinforcing BMP, another may not.

Yes - too much randomisation and the lesson of the TDG can get lost.  Agree about the absence of player WPs, though.

I say lesson because a 'professional' TDG/TEWT/sandtable-exercise/wargame/vignette/whatever will be teaching, testing or trying real tactics and concepts (or it should be if it's seriously intended as a training aid).  Moving away from those must therefore move the mission closer to unreality.  The trick is to get or work out the 'school solution' (the vignettes link at the top has these as well as the scenarios IIRC).

I'd expect a lot of the discussion for this TDG would be around the likely-enemy's counter-ambush, platoon attack and meeting engagement SOPs/drills etc.  A competent enemy are likely to respond differently to different tactics that are used against them.  By whittling away the 'unsafe' ideas you'll supposedly get to the best (in the sense of least suicidal) solution.

For me, it's those enemy counter-tactics that can make the biggest difference between less-realistic missions and more-realistic ones.  As for Flashpointing this TDG, as a taster, I'd expect the enemy to react very differently depending on the range at which they are engaged.  This would be harder to achieve than 'simple' reinforcement randomisation, but isn't impossible (sometimes I wish it was simply impossible - then I wouldn't have to worry about it as much!)

Looking at it another way: list what is done in the school solution, give the player the option to do those things, apply realistic penalties if he doesn't.  e.g. if he doesn't send a contact report, why not lower the skill of 2nd and 3rd squads so the enemy could get to the LZ and he has to fight better to win?

Of course, this TDG as it stands is probably only a 5-10 minute game once you've cracked it.  Extending the scope of the mission is one fix, but the original scenario could get lost within it.  Instead, varied and randomised realistic enemy responses may not lengthen the mission but could improve replayability and encourage experimentation to find other valid solutions.  How much of a market is there for short, sharp standalone missions?  Would players go back to them to see if they can beat it better another way?

Reverting to the other aspect of the thread, relevant resources for this would be examples of Warsaw Pact counter-ambush and platoon attack tactics for inspiration. Any offers?

The best resource, I suppose, is imagination - play the TDG from both sides in your head as many ways as you can to get a feel for what could happen and the consequences.

<warning: person without army training>

well I certainly don't mind realism in OFP missions, but what puts me off most of the times is the cryptic usage of acronyms in briefings and radio comms that are absolutely Chinese to me and that make it almost impossible for me to understand what is expected: "Get your TF to the AO, but take care to check the Bn on all TTA's at any time. Contact your AFFA after DD and then proceed to extraction".

<warning off>

I certainly admit that I'm also a supposed "casual military hobbyist" who sometimes doesn't want to learn by reading, but to learn by getting his ass kicked. However, I think it would be cool to provide a separate README with every mission with cut-paste definitions of all the words and tactical options. I actually like "easier" missions like Facile Ground and FDF's Russian Take the Hill scenario over "challenging" super-specops scenarios. That's my two cents. smile_o.gif

[J/k sarcasm mode on]

BTW, Chinese is easy, hen yo yi si. Ri ben de Ri yu mei yo yi si. Ying yu ye mei you xing qu, wen fa hen nan xue. Han yu zhi yao lian xi, lian xi. Wo shi Mei Guo ren, yo Tai Wan lai de fu mu, ke shi wo jue de han yu bu tai nan. Yi dian dian han yu shuo de hen liu li.

[J/k sarcasm mode off: Half pin-yin, half Wade-Giles]

(I just said that Japanese is harder than Chinese. And the English Grammer is wierd once I think about it as a Chinese American.)

Have a nice day. smile_o.gif

BTW: I realize I violated the BI Forums langauge rule, but hey its for fun. tounge_o.gif