Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Interesting free "flight" simulator

Just stumbled upon this:

MiG-29.jpg

A10.jpg

F117.jpg

SU-30.jpg

It's an ejection seat simulator. Kinda nifty. Includes most modern ejection seats and aircraft that use them, though you can experiment by putting a K-36D in an A-10, or even change the specs for a seat. It even comes with some scenarios such as the 1989 Paris Air Show MiG-29 crash, or the death of the first F-14 female pilot (though the SU-30 is subsituted for the F-14 model)

Download Here

I imagine this is the kind of thing the flyboys sit and mess with in the pilots lounge. Looks pretty interesting, I'll have a go with it tomorrow when I have more time.

Sounds like it's made by the same people who put out the JFK assassination game.

There is a big distinction here, IMHO - the sim does not revolve around assasinating a person, but around demonstrating the physics of different ejection seats. In the one scenario where the pilot dies, you see a plane beginning to roll while the RIO ejects, and then the pilot ejects into the water. You can change the scenario to see under what conditions the ejection may have been survivable. What if the F-14 had been equipped with Aces II seats instead of GRU-7s? This is a sim for people who would like to know just how different ejection seats operate.

Quote[/b] ]I don't get how to use it. It also lags like crack on my computer.

EDIT- I truly hope this was made by a student.

Seems pretty simple to me, and it runs fine on my 733MHZ machine. And yes, it is a beta.

here's something I've NEVER seen modeled properly before in my years of flight simming - A properly working F-111 ejection capsule:

F111.jpg

F111-2.jpg

blah. I thought you were posting about a flight simulator.

I have no need for a ejector seat. I'd rather go down with my dignity tounge_o.gif

You can give planes initial speed by going into the Scene options at the top of the screen. In the Fighter Paramters section near the bottom there should be an option named Initial Speed (Knot) where you can put in a speed. You could also load a scene where the plane has already been programmed to fly. Its is also possible by right clicking on the plane and dragging the mouse. I have not discovered what gives initital altitude though.

This 'game' definately offers some quite sadistic pleasure blues.gif I modified the Aces II ejection seat so the STAPAC Thrust was in the range of 999999lbs of thrust, resulting in the pilot experiancing g forces in the range of 3million, and being accelerated to speeds of about 17,000 knots. Needless to say, he was ejecting far away from the plane in an extremely short time.

What I find interesting is how different seats perform in different situations in this sim. In the scenario with the SU-30 (representing an F-14) looses an engine and begins rolling at low altitude and low speed, when equipped with the GRU-7 seat (which the F-14 has), the pilot impacts the water at 99 knots. Change the seat to an MK-14, and then the pilot impacts the water at around 11 knots. Aces II comes in at 15 knots, and the S3S at around 20 knots. Interestingly enough, the K-36D performs worst of all in this scenario, causing impact with the water at around 115 knots. Change the plane to an F-111 in this scenario, and the capsule impacts the water at about 25 knots.

Now take the MiG-29 paris 1989 crash, where much the same thing happened, only at slightly higher altitude, and the ejection took place later when the plane was in an 80 degree dive . In the sim, the K-36D causes ground impact at around 20 knots. Change the plane to an F-111, and the capsule drives into the ground at  around 140 knots

Sounds like the most boring game in the world. What's so great about a game about ejection seats?

Sounds like the most boring game in the world.  What's so great about a game about ejection seats?

It's a boring "game" precisely because it isn't meant to be a game.

It simulates ejection seats. It used to see how different speed, altitude, etc effect ejection procedures and how it affects opening the chute, etc. It can be used for other things then "entertainment".

That's great. I am pretty sure the AirForce has their own simulators for all their equipment. So why is there one for download for normal folks? I just think that unless you are a professional aviator, in the military, or in the aviation business it's completely useless.

I just really want to know what a normal person would use it for.

Lots of people might find it interesting for history reason or people learning Physic's.

I dont know. I just made it up wink_o.gif

I just really want to know what a normal person would use it for.
Quote[/b] ]Lots of people might find it interesting for history reason or people learning Physic's.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Simply, it enables users to conduct there own 'what if' scenarios. If aircraft 'x' was instead aircraft 'y' with a different ejector seat/ method, could have the pilots had a better or worse chance of survival in a given accident.

As Tovarish mentioned it correctly simulates the F-111 ejection capsule (for which I’ve once had the pleasure of sitting and messing around in), I think I’ll download it, simply out of curiosity, plain old curiosity. wink_o.gif

Curiosity killed the cat.  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

It sure did, and many, many people too....though it's safe to say, this little ejection program probably won't kill me!

At the moment, I'm trying to find a pic of the ejection module....it was in my backyard on the back of a RAAF truck.(Uncle in the RAAF reserves was carting it cross country for an air show.....he stopped at our place for a night, allowing me to tinker with it.....unfortunatly my cousin has the photos, so it'll take until christmas when I see him before I can post em),

The story behind it was, there was a fire in the landing gear well (if that's what it's called), and the pilots ejected into the water off of the coast of New Zealand, back in the 70's (or something along those lines)

Intriguing stuff, with all the explosives involved, the airbags to help it float, and the small amount of basic supplies and first aid packs to sustain the pilots for a short while until rescue.

what nice 2 is that you can make youre own costumized one, when you click on cene. biggrin_o.gif Ty m8, realy c00l xmas_o.gif