Sign in to follow this  
Bordoy

German Christmas Market

Well we have a German market in our city centre till like 20 something of december, in Nottingham.

Its a real German market, everything been shipped over including food, drink, souvernir thingys and the people selling things but they speak good English. I think its all been shipped from Frankfurt

The German sausages are massive and well long. I might get one tomorrow.

The german Beer pints are twice the size of an English pint. No wonder you guys enjoy the Munich Beerfest.

Well im moving to Germany just for the beer. Lots of other food as well including Gigantic Pretzels, never seen anything that big. And different types of fruit on a kebab skewer which are covered in chocalate.

The German sausages are massive and well long. I might get one tomorrow.

The german Beer pints are twice the size of an English pint. No wonder you guys enjoy the Munich Beerfest.

Well im moving to Germany just for the beer. Lots of other food as well including Gigantic Pretzels, never seen anything that big. And different types of fruit on a kebab skewer which are covered in chocalate.

Did they bring wine as well?

If so, you really ought to try some of their excellent Rieslings from the Mosel valley!

Oh, and do try a sausage called Bratwürst - very good!

haha, brgnorway seems to be a real wine drinker... some days ago grüner veltliner, now moselwein biggrin_o.gif nice guy.

@bordoy: the size of our beer pints differs from region to region. in düsseldorf yu get 0.2l glasses, in rostock 0.33l bottles, here in bavaria/franconia 0.5l.

hmm lecker bratwurst smile_o.gif

glad you like our food bordoy, but are you really moving here just for the beer ?

be sure to try all different sorts, not during one evening though tounge_o.gif

i just wonder why that market was shipped to the UK, aren´t there any english ones ?

hmm lecker bratwurst smile_o.gif

glad you like our food bordoy, but are you really moving here just for the beer ?

be sure to try all different sorts, not during one evening though tounge_o.gif

i just wonder why that market was shipped to the UK, aren´t there any english ones ?

haha, it would take years to test every sort here in franconia. it's like every little village has its own brewery, or even more. we have the most brewerys in relation to the people here worldwide. tounge_o.gif

in summertimes it is hobby to take your bike and stop in every village, test a beer and go on to the next village (and here's 1-3km between the villages wink_o.gif )... biggrin_o.gif

oh yes, bratwurst! ghostface.gif

hmm lecker bratwurst  smile_o.gif

be sure to try all different sorts, not during one evening though  tounge_o.gif

haha, it would take years to test every sort here in franconia. it's like every little village has its own brewery, or even more. we have the most brewerys in relation to the people here worldwide.  tounge_o.gif

in summertimes it is hobby to take your bike and stop in every village, test a beer and go on to the next village (and here's 1-3km between the villages  wink_o.gif )...  biggrin_o.gif

oh yes, bratwurst!  ghostface.gif

sounds like a nice activity, keeps you fit and drunk  biggrin_o.gif

anyway what i meant was to test only the rough sorts..such as:

Alkoholarmes Bier (no not really  tounge_o.gif)

Alt

Kölsch (my beer of choice)

Pilsener

Starkbier

Weizen - Hefe & Kristall

Find good info here

haha, just found this. biggrin_o.gif

and this is what i meant. you it is sorted by letter... you can browse the letters on the left biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Well because its only here for a month, i gotta have one of everything there. so one type of sausage a day etc.

Quote[/b] ]Oh, and do try a sausage called Bratwürst - very good!

Yes i will, plus its a real one and not a fake English one.

Quote[/b] ]glad you like our food bordoy, but are you really moving here just for the beer ?

be sure to try all different sorts, not during one evening though

Well the German food is better then English food, i'll see if i can try possibly, not loads because i cant handle my alcohol.

Quote[/b] ]i just wonder why that market was shipped to the UK, aren´t there any english ones ?

Not sure, well at least we got a German one. If it was English it would all be fake stuff.

Quote[/b] ]Did they bring wine as well?

They might of done, i think i saw someone drinking wine but i didnt really look at the glass.

I wish all the Visitors of the German Christmas Market a good Time over there and a lot of Fun.

Don`t drink too much Gluehwein. wink_o.gif

I wish all the Visitors of the German Christmas Market a good Time over there and a lot of Fun.

Don`t drink too much Gluehwein.  wink_o.gif

I'll put up a warning sign  biggrin_o.gif

I saw the German market in Coventry on the local news a few days ago, looked interesting but I'm not so keen on German food; I've eaten it on business trips to Hamburg etc and found it a bit bland, I'm not a fan of cold, cooked meats (I know it's not saying much coming from an Englishman, apart from the fry-up our food is pretty awful really:))... but the German beer's good. biggrin_o.gif

We used to have a little French market visit set up in my town during the spring, all manner of good wine, garlic sausages and cheeses, more my kind of stuff.

My uncle gets a friend over from Belgium to hold a beer festival at his pub once in a while too; with beer from accross France, Belgium and Germany.

I saw the German market in Coventry on the local news a few days ago, looked interesting but I'm not so keen on German food; I've eaten it on business trips to Hamburg etc and found it a bit bland, I'm not a fan of cold, cooked meats (I know it's not saying much coming from an Englishman, apart from the fry-up our food is pretty awful really:))... but the German beer's good. biggrin_o.gif

We used to have a little French market visit set up in my town during the spring, all manner of good wine, garlic sausages and cheeses, more my kind of stuff.

My uncle gets a friend over from Belgium to hold a beer festival at his pub once in a while too; with beer from accross France, Belgium and Germany.

haha, no wonder, you were in a mcdonald's crazy_o.giftounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

no, the french or italian food is way better than our's, that's for sure.

A German Christmas

Nottingham Evening Post

Quote[/b] ]Shoppers are stocking up on seasonal goodies at the city's first German Christmas Market. STEPHEN BEVAN went along to taste what is on offer

Stood like amid the log cabins and sweet smells, you could easily imagine yourself in a quaint Bavarian hamlet.

But this is in fact Nottingham's traditional German Christmas Market in Old Market Square.

The market has already proved a huge hit with shoppers taking a break from department stores.

"I think it's lovely," said Nicola Yare from Clifton. "It's a different way of celebrating Christmas. I hope it continues."

So do the stallholders from Frankfurt who are running the market. "We're very happy to be here - it seems like the ideal location with the Council House in front of us," said Edith Leber, who is manning a stall selling German baking utensils. "So far we have been met with nothing but kindness and enthusiasm. The people of Nottingham seem to be very happy."

Just like the Christmas markets which have run in Germany for more than 500 years, the Nottingham version boasts confectionery, gingerbread, smoked sausages, traditional arts and crafts, wooden toys, beer and of course a drop of Gluwein to warm the spirit on those cold winter nights.

In Germany, the yuletide market is traditionally the place to go to stock up on all the things needed for the festive period.

People buy moulds and cutters for baking, as well as candles, decorations, cookies, sweets, and toys for the children.

The Nottingham market has been organised by the City Council in conjunction with Experience Nottinghamshire and other partners.

Council chiefs invited the traders over following the success of German markets in Birmingham, which is twinned with Frankfurt.

The market has run in Birmingham every year since 1997.

"This is a tremendous coup for the city of Nottingham," said Coun Leon Unczur, Nottingham City Council's Executive Member for Culture, Community Services and Tourism.

"People travel all over the world to visit Germany's traditional markets. This year, Nottingham residents and visitors can soak up that atmosphere much closer to home.

"It brings a really festive flavour to the city as we go about our Christmas shopping, and emphasises the city's place as the regional capital of culture."

All the traders reported good takings.

Corena Mutz sells wooden toys and decorations made by her father. She said: "I'm sure we would want to come back - it is going very well.

"I think people enjoy looking at the different way we mark Christmas, and we've enjoyed showing them. Some people even try to speak German with us. Nottingham seems to be very keen on Christmas. The decorations are beautiful, and it is the perfect place to be."

Diane Middlebrook, from Ilkeston, visited the market with her mother Rose and daughter Francesca.

She said: "It's very nice in the evening, with the lights. It is a little expensive, but you pay for quality and the difference.

"I would like to see it become a regular feature of Christmas here."

The market is open 10am to 8pm every day, and 10am to 6pm on Sundays until December 22.

Two other markets will also be open in Old Market Square during the run-up to Christmas. Nottingham Contemporary Craft Fair opens tomorrow, and runs until Tuesday, December 7, 9.30am to 8pm daily (except Sunday 5th - 10.30am to 4.30pm).

And the Nottingham Christmas Craft and Gift Market will run from December 8 to 22, 9.30am to 5.30pm (except Wednesday late-night shopping when it will open until 8pm, and Sundays 10.30am to 4.30pm).

Just had one of the sausages at about 2 o'clock and well, it was the best sausage I have ever had. You Germans sure know how to make nice food and drink.

Might go back there tomorrow and the day after. Daily treats biggrin_o.gif

Try Stollen (think thats it). Kinda german Xmas cake....real nice....

Try Stollen (think thats it). Kinda german Xmas cake....real nice....

.....and Apfelstrüdel. Damn that is the best appel pie I've ever tasted!

Bratwürst

Apfelstrüdel

Hehe Not every German word has an umlaut. It's just Bratwurst and Apfelstrudel. wink_o.gif

Weihnachtsmarkt in Germany has become quite an expensive thing... sad_o.gif

Especially the hot drinks like Glühwein cost way too much! It was much cheaper some Years go... I remember a Night in Leipzig, where our whole history class was too drunk to get on the bus home. But those nights are over with the high prizes. It became nothing exceptional over here to go to the Weihnachtsmarkt, but I hope the English people will enjoy it even more! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hehe Not every German word has an umlaut. It's just Bratwurst and Apfelstrudel. wink_o.gif

You are wrong of course! You germans need some "germanification" because we don't believe you are german enough. Where's your lederhosen by the way  tounge_o.gif

Actually, some tourists confront me with similar attitudes at work during the summer season (I work in the hotel business) .

Quote[/b] ]But those nights are over with the high prizes.

...... then you should come here and pay aproximately 9 euros for a glass of wine or 6 euro for 33 cl of beer!

By the way, do any of you swedes or norwegians know if Glühwein is something like Glřgg/Glögg?

meh...what i really miss about living abroad is a solid english breakfast, belgium beer, normand calvados, and an unpronounceable norwegian cheese.

never ate german food, except whatever my swiss grandma used to cook (mainly deserts) biggrin_o.gif

Wow extra large pretzels and 0.5l pints of Beer. Throw in some Frauleins (spelling?) and it sounds like my kind of town biggrin_o.gif

@ brgnorway

Most of us Germans will never wear Lederhosen.:angry:

This funny stuff comes from Bavaria (Bayern) and it`s their traditional Clothing. biggrin_o.gif

@ brgnorway

This funny stuff comes from Bavaria (Bayern) and it`s their traditional Clothing.  biggrin_o.gif

Are you trying to tell me that you and your father never wore clothes like that during the weekends highlight - the sauerkraut dinner:

wleder05.jpeg

tounge_o.gif

@ brgnorway

This funny stuff comes from Bavaria (Bayern) and it`s their traditional Clothing.  biggrin_o.gif

Are you trying to tell me that you and your father never wore clothes like that during the weekends highlight - the sauerkraut dinner:

tounge_o.gif

No, never. Trust me. biggrin_o.gif

LoL, very nice thread, prejudices about german clothing smile_o.gif

You won't find Lederhosen in other parts than Bavaria wink_o.gif

But, well, our food isn't bad at all, and I think it's great to see that there are markets in Britan for example smile_o.gif

(Although I think that italian food is the best in the world smile_o.gif )

If you have the chance, try all the Strudels (*g*, nice plural) you can get, I think Apfelstrudel and Topfenstrudel are the best biggrin_o.gif