Sign in to follow this  
denoir

OFP Community Census Project

EDIT:

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>OFP Census</span>

http://www.denoir.ma.cx/census/

Data and results will be presented in this thread.

---------------------------------------------------

Inspired by the OFP MAP-LOCATOR project, I've got a suggestion of my own - a community census i.e a map of the community that is not just about geography, but about the people and their views. I deal with data-mining professionally so I've got a bunch of neat software that can be used for visualisation. I was thinking that doing a clustering on the community could be interesting - i.e use the data collected to see if there are some typical groups in which the individuals share some features.

Let me give you an example, with a different data set: some world demographics. For each country there is data for Median age, population growth, infant morality rate GPD per capita etc. What I can do with it is use an algorithm that performs clustering - i.e finds groupings in the data.

cluster1.jpg

The black lines are the boundaries of the cluster and every dot represents a country. Some interesting things can be seen here, for instance that the median age is higher in countries with high GDP/capita etc.

Even more interesting is that we can select any area in the plots and see what countries fall in the category.

Now I'm thinking such a thing with OFP community data could be interesting.

My preliminary suggestion for data collected would be:

General

--------

Nickname

Country (or continent perhaps)

OFP/Forum

---------

Since how long have you been playing OFP?

Since how long have you been on the BI forums?

What's your post count?

What's your warning level?

Which is your favourite forum?

Politics

--------

Who do you want to win the US pres. elections?

.... well that's what I could think of for now. Suggestions are welcome .. unless of course you think it's a stupid idea wink_o.gif

I can probably make a simple web questionnaire from where the data could be collected. Then I could generate some nice pictures and statistics smile_o.gif

Maybe religion would be nice too... i do wonder how many americans are muslim wink_o.gif

edit: Nice idea btw

i'll give you my data once we have some more questions to answer smile_o.gif

Good idea. You'd need to send the questionnaire to various forums though, as the map locator showed, not many S. Americans on this forum, and some people dont know english, etc. Maybe you could put it on news sites too, so you get more replies?? But seems like a good idea. Would be interesting.

Good idea. You'd need to send the questionnaire to various forums though, as the map locator showed, not many S. Americans on this forum, and some people dont know english, etc. Maybe you could put it on news sites too, so you get more replies?? But seems like a good idea. Would be interesting.

Hmmmm

Isn't the

Quote[/b] ] OFP Community Census Project
for ooouuur OFP community only? smile_o.gif

Hmmmm

Isn't the

Quote[/b] ] OFP Community Census Project
for ooouuur OFP community only? smile_o.gif

The BI Forums aren't the entire OFP Communtiy though.

If we windened the audience, it would mean we (well, Denoir tounge_o.gif ) could more accuratly find shared features of groups, as opposed to if we just used BI Forums, we would have about 3 or 4 S. Americans to compare against a much larger sample from, for instance, Europe. Europe you could generalise the replies from to the entire european OFP community i should think, but you cant exactly from these 3 or 4 S. Americans.

Well, if you have any ideas for more interesting/relevant questions to ask, please tell. smile_o.gif

For this to work, we do need data - without enough entries the whole thing is pretty useless. 100+ replies would be nice - at least for the number of questions that I've suggested. More questions = more data required to make statistical sense of it.

cool!!

what about

Hight

whight

Eye colour

Race like Arayn and so

Don't

Post count isent gonna work cause some poeple post alot and you will quickly haevalot more, maby post's per day would be better as I don't think it will change that much for most people and you would see how active most people are.

Politics

insted of a single thing, it should be more where they are placed right or left on the line and how fare out they are.

STGN

I agree with the previously made remark that the lot frequenting these forums gives only a very partial view of the OFP community (= i.e. those that are interested in talking about the game, in giving feedback about missions and addons, those that need specific information or those that simply have grown tired of the game itself ...)

our preferred simulator also attracts other people barely visible here:

- from the military

- people with limited or no access to the internet, that cannot participate in the addon frenzy turning this game into a completely new one every day

- people with little knowledge of computers in general ("how do I open this .rar file, where do I put it?")

- people that don't speak English at all

I'm interested in your idea, but somehow these people should be included some how as well

it took me quite some time to become really active in these forums, as they are quite time-consuming to keep up with. The majority of OFP players is surely not reading these forums, but playing OFP without little need for a visible community beyond that ...

Me likes this idea very much too smile_o.gif

I agree religion should be added in the questionaire.

Quote[/b] ]I agree with the previously made remark that the lot frequenting these forums gives only a very partial view of the OFP community (= i.e. those that are interested in talking about the game, in giving feedback about missions and addons, those that need specific information or those that simply have grown tired of the game itself ...)

our preferred simulator also attracts other people barely visible here:

- from the military

- people with limited or no access to the internet, that cannot participate in the addon frenzy turning this game into a completely new one every day

- people with little knowledge of computers in general ("how do I open this .rar file, where do I put it?")

- people that don't speak English at all

I'm interested in your idea, but somehow these people should be included some how as well

it took me quite some time to become really active in these forums, as they are quite time-consuming to keep up with. The majority of OFP players is surely not reading these forums, but playing OFP without little need for a visible community beyond that ...

Hmm. Those are all very good points. I think though that people that do not participate in any community activities (i.e hang around the forums), could hardly be considered a part of the community.

A wider OFP-player census would of course be interesting, but that would put some different requirements on the questions asked.

Basically the scope of my idea was not to go far beyond the people that post here already - basically that it would be fun to see how you statistically relate to other people you know.

A wider survey would of course be interesting as well. I suggest we try the smaller-scale one first, and if it works well, then we can work out a more general survey aimed at a broader number of OFP players.

You could always advertise this on OFP.info or put up the poll or whatever on their website and other OF websites for a wider gathering of data.

Quote[/b] ]Race like Arayn and so

wow_o.gif  you gotta be kiddin!

I voted pro because I love the idea  smile_o.gif

why? isent that just as important or well unimportant as knowing he or hers age and location?

Are you automaticly thinking NAZI when you hear the word race?

STGN

why? isent that just as important or well unimportant as knowing he or hers age and location?

STGN

If you're saying people from different ethnic backgrounds are froma different race, yes, Nazism coems to mind, also Aryan is a Nazi word for 'master race'.

But i think Denoir is right actually about only doing this for these forums at first, then maybe expanding.

No we automatically think Nazi when we hear the term Aryan.

Perhaps you mean Caucasian? Which basically means white smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=caucasian

Main Entry: Cau·ca·sian

Pronunciation: 'ko-'kA-zh&n, -'kazh-&n

Function: adjective

1 : of or relating to the white race of humankind as classified according to physical features

2 : of or relating to the white race as defined by law specifically as composed of persons of European, No. African, or southwest Asian ancestry

Add favorite musical genre, career and education maybe.

P.S ayran is not an a very useful designation for a race, and its not what you probably think anyway. Iranians and some indians are ayran, it dosent necessarily designate blond haired and blue eyed.

"The Aryan race is a concept which reached its height of popularity during the 19th century and first half of the 20th century. Inspired by the discovery of the Indo-European language family, 19th century ethnologists speculated that all "white" European peoples descended from an ancient people called the Aryans.

This idea was adopted by several European colonialist and nationalist movements of that era — notably Nazis, who used the concept of the Aryan race (redefined to mean a "master race" of people of northern European descent) to justify their racial and military policies."

Back on topic, i like this idea. i'd answer it

STGN

If you're saying people from different ethnic backgrounds are froma different race, yes, Nazism coems to mind, also Aryan is a Nazi word for 'master race'.

But i think Denoir is right actually about only doing this for these forums at first, then maybe expanding.

Okay In my dictunary the word Arayn means People hoes origin comes from North Western Europe: which is why the Nazisis logicaly used it, they diden't make it up. Its kinda the same whit the NAZI cross which once where a sign for the SUN and now is a sign for death.

STGN

No we automatically think Nazi when we hear the term Aryan.

Perhaps you mean Caucasian? Which basically means white smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=caucasian

Main Entry: Cau·ca·sian

Pronunciation: 'ko-'kA-zh&n, -'kazh-&n

Function: adjective

1 : of or relating to the white race of humankind as classified according to physical features

2 : of or relating to the white race as defined by law specifically as composed of persons of European, No. African, or southwest Asian ancestry

year okay to use Caucasian will problery be better then, I don't wanna offend enybody whit a word.

STGN

Yup, does the same for me to.

And it would be nice if it said Australasia instead of Australia. :/

Not that there is anything wrong with Australia..

Okay In my dictunary the word Arayn means People hoes origin comes from North Western Europe: which is why the Nazisis logicaly used it, they diden't make it up. Its kinda the same whit the NAZI cross which once where a sign for the SUN and now is a sign for death.

STGN

You shouldn't really take anything the Nazi's said during WW2 as fact, their "race researchers" made many mistakes, like mixing up language groups, races and other terms... Sorry for the OT.

But it is indeed a great idea!