Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Most immersive FirstPerson games

Hi, I know I posted a thread like this a while ago, but I cannot find it and want some new games.

Anyways, I am looking for some nice immersive first person games. I don't need a plot so thick that you need to take notes or read the book first to understand. But it should be immersive.

A good example is Theif2. If any of you have played it, you know it is immersive. You listen to people's conversations, observe behavior, act as a true theif. You are fully immersed in the story.

Another great example is Medal of Honor, Allied Assault.

The atmosphere is great in that game. My favorite aspect is the real German spoken in game. That is a golden attribute to immersion. There are no subtitles for translation for the most part. So unless you actually know German, you won't be able to understand. Operation Flashpoint had Russian in it, but not alot.

If any of you could name games with these qualities, please talk about them here.

For any game with foreign languages(something I am looking for) in it, they must be the actual language spoken by native speakers. Not some game developers or actors trying to fake it. If there are, then list the languages spoken.

Feel free to drop off ideas and comments.

Also while realism isn't that important to me here, I would not like to always have to shoot an enemy 10 times to kill them.

Doom 3. The damn thing gave me a heart condition, and that's what I'd call immersive.

edit: Thief 3 is also up there.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 is a pretty immersive FPS experience.

The Splinter Cell series are also immersive, but then again; they're not FPS games, but 3rd pers.

To mention some older games that I found immersive at the time; the Rainbow Six series... especially Rogue Spear/UO/COE.

Not much else that springs to mind and/or fits your requirements. OFP has been the ultimate immersive gaming experience for me ever since it came out.

Hi, I know I posted a thread like this a while ago, but I cannot find it and want some new games.

This is your old thread, but of course it's too old to be replied to now, but it's there for reference smile_o.gif

I could mention Battlefield Vietnam of course. It can be immersing enough if you play on the right servers with the right people...

And there are spoken Vietnamese language in the game...if it's accurate and spoken by real Vietnamese I don't know?

...and as someone mentioned in your old thread; Day of Defeat (although the commercial release is shite...DoD was very good when it was a mod and up untill beta 3.0...now I'm just waiting to see how DoD: Source will be... rock.gif )

Apart from the obivous OFP.. I'd say the next most imersive game is Hidden & Dangerous 2 like someone else said! You often finding yourself looking for PROPER cover (ie not just behind a fence or something) as the bullets have penetration and can ricochet off things, and it's always nice seeing a Nazi hit the deck like a sack of poop when you pop him in the head, then see the bullet also impact the wall behind him because of the power! (gotta love Lee Enfield's)

I preffer TPS to FPS, so I don't have any favourites here.

One is unable to experience the body movement from FPS, which makes it unrealistic.

All the lean movements, crouch, bend (over?) are artficial, since one is unable to see his own body.

What turns me off from buying that new raven shield is that, even though they got all these cool weapons, graphics, n tools, how the enemy will react. In OFP, you got a slim chance to actually quickly brisk past an enemy if they're gun is on their back or if they're sitting at a campfire, you can totally catch them off guard. In those games for R6, they're like always ready, and like, another thing is they see you out of the corner of their eyes, they turn around blindingly fast and shoot you, its like totally unreal how fast they spin around and pop an accurate shot off. Then again i haven't played raven shield, but i have played the past ones. In ofp they actually turn around rather then just auto face in the direction of the sound and start firing. It just feels good to play a fun game sometimes rather than a simulation.

Imersive FPS rock.gif . Hmm there is only one.. VIETCONG (the original, not expantion). I strongly recomend you try out the demo caled "Crash in the jungle" (not the expantion) before to see how it runs on your system though.

Forget about CoD and all that quake stuff, i cant find a game where you pick med packs, body armor and ammo from big glowing boxes of the ground imersive not the mention all the other bs surrounding that type of...er games rock.gif .

OPF isnt really imersive too, the a.i. dont feel like real soldiers in any way and plot is average.

Vietcong is imersive in every single aspect from swearing and good voice acting to the characters and the live jungle, sounds, levels, pretty much everything.

If you do be sure to check out the demos first (it runs reaal bad on some systems), to pach it up to latest version and to get the MATURE version with all the gore and really good swearing and voice acting.

This one sure beats the crap out H&D2, the first and really decent nam game ever made smile_o.gif .

Vietcong is good but I feel the jungle feels too narrow and restricted sometimes.

The first Burma level in H&D2 has the best jungle I've ever seen in any game which by the way is made by the same firm, Take 2 Interactive, as Vietcong was. H&D2 is very immersive game overall with very much attention to put detail. It's pretty realistic too as there is the stamina system and on hard level you'll usually get killed with a single rifle shot or short SMG burst yet you still sometimes get to lenghty firefights with the AI. I'd say H&D2 comes second after OFP when it comes to FPS immersion.

The first Burma level in H&D2 has the best jungle I've ever seen in any game which by the way is made by the same firm, Take 2 Interactive, as Vietcong was

Actually, take 2 is just a publisher. Illusion softworks made both Vietcong and H&D-games. They also made the rather immersive Mafia too. smile_o.gif

Illusion softworks is also from Czech, am I starting to see a pattern here? tounge_o.gif

What turns me off from buying that new raven shield is that, even though they got all these cool weapons, graphics, n tools, how the enemy will react.  In OFP, you got a slim chance to actually quickly brisk past an enemy if they're gun is on their back or if they're sitting at a campfire, you can totally catch them off guard.  In those games for R6, they're like always ready, and like, another thing is they see you out of the corner of their eyes, they turn around blindingly fast and shoot you, its like totally unreal how fast they spin around and pop an accurate shot off.  Then again i haven't played raven shield, but i have played the past ones.  In ofp they actually turn around rather then just auto face in the direction of the sound and start firing.  It just feels good to play a fun game sometimes rather than a simulation.

They shoot like special forces. That's why so many people stopped playing. That and the engine is highly moddable but nobody mods it.

The first Burma level in H&D2 has the best jungle I've ever seen in any game which by the way is made by the same firm, Take 2 Interactive, as Vietcong was

Actually, take 2 is just a publisher. Illusion softworks made both Vietcong and H&D-games. They also made the rather immersive Mafia too. smile_o.gif

Illusion softworks is also from Czech, am I starting to see a pattern here? tounge_o.gif

Hm... no, the developer of Vietcong is called Pterodon and i remember the Burma level in H&D2 and it looked nice but...static wink_o.gif has the bushes and trees of VC do wave and shake and the jungle sounds are just perfect smile_o.gif .

IMHO H&D2 was rushed out the door and it quite showed has the levels and a.i. were rather poor, ive seen better level development in OPF user made missions and the graphics and stuff on the larger levels looked very outdated smile_o.gif .

I like or liked at the following.

1: Delta Force, DF2, DF LandWarriors. (Liked)

2: Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Like)

3: Hidden & Dangerous wink_o.gif

4: Rainbow Six (Liked)

5: Alien vs Predator vs Marine (Sucked)

6: OFP, OFP RedHammer, & OFP Resistance ( unclesam.gif )

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Hidden & Dangerous II ...hands down is the best tactical FPS out there..its so immersive and entertaining. I think it's one of the few tactical games where the AI isn't cannon fodder and can be used to knife another AI enemy. Viet Cong SUX's ASS I can't believe anyone likes that game...the levels are boxed in, the AI sux and you fail missions just because a teammate(who doesn't really even help..)..goes down. I guess the concept overcoming and adapting never reached that dev team. But I like most are going crazy waiting for Brothers in Arms to come out..I expecting BOA to break new ground, also the H&DII expansion pack will definately worth a visit to the local EB Games biggrin_o.gif

Something I've had fun with lately, and undeniably a top-notch FPS, is No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way... whilst not the most recent nor the most military, it's attention to detail (like you have several different types of ammunition for the weapons you'll be mostly using) to the somewhat "secluded openness" of what you can do, if the theme doesn't put you off, then be sure to try this one out if you haven't already, and have a lot of fun!

BUZZARD @ Sep. 09 2004,01:27)]Something I've had fun with lately, and undeniably a top-notch FPS, is No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way... whilst not the most recent nor the most military, it's attention to detail (like you have several different types of ammunition for the weapons you'll be mostly using) to the somewhat "secluded openness" of what you can do, if the theme doesn't put you off, then be sure to try this one out if you haven't already, and have a lot of fun!

oh yeah...thas nother great one..not exactly "tactical" but definately a good one..prolly my fav non-military shooter and it's freaking funny too tounge_o.gif

Hidden & Dangerous II ...hands down is the best tactical FPS out there..its so immersive and entertaining.  I think it's one of the few tactical games where the AI isn't cannon fodder and can be used to knife another AI enemy.  Viet Cong SUX's ASS I can't believe anyone likes that game...the levels are boxed in, the AI sux and you fail missions just because a teammate(who doesn't really even help..)..goes down.

You call that tactical crazy_o.gif , OPF or GR are tactical, that game was just a poor mistake, that thing with the stealth bars was just so... crazy_o.gif not to mention most of the levels were poorly made and buggy has hell, and the firefights were pretty much sniper player vs a.i. with sniper like skill, remember the train station or that last level? How poor that game turned out... But in the imersive factor VC is war, the firefights are heavy and cover is there along with arty suport, it follows a plot and the characters have distinctive personalities, levels like POW or radio relay are still present in my memory and the squads actions and behaviour were very good has the a.i. actualy uses supressive fire.

Does have some flaws but H&D2 is a complete flaw...

H&D deluxe > H&D2...

H&D2 and Viet Cong aren't even in the same category bro...besides that Viet Cong just sux there isn't even really that much of mission variety you were either following Nhut down some trail or...following Nhut down some trail and let's not even get started on those tunnel levels..OMG what a waste of an hour. And I HATE a game that is supposed to be based on combat operations where if you lose a teammate the mission fails..what is that about? rock.gif And friendly AI sucks they can't shoot and spend most of the game saying pointless "one liners" about the vc when you get into a "fire fight". H&D2 on the other hand has LOADs of pros one being mission variety..omg I bout wet myself over the UDT-style missions, there is something just awesome about watchin ur AI teammate silently take out a sentry, and I love the stealth needed in some of the missions like when you insert into norway and have to meet up with the partisan. the ability to cause any enemy AI to surrender (given the right circumstances), MULTIPLE ways to carry out a mission..shall I go on? H&D2 is prolly the best tactical game sense OFP came out period...Vietcong is great coaster material and nothing more tounge_o.gif

Hm... no, the developer of Vietcong is called Pterodon...

...IMHO H&D2 was rushed out the door

First; as you point out, Vietcong was developed by Pterodon while Hidden & Dangerous 2 was developed by Illusion Softworks. Both titles were published by Take2 in EU and Gathering in the US. Both developers are from the Czech Republic.

Secondly; saying that H&D2 was rushed out the door...do you have any idea how long this game was in development? The development for H&D2 started in august 1999, and the game was released in october 2003. A little over 4 years... but some of the reasons were trouble inside the company. In 2001, both the lead designer and lead AI programmer quit their jobs at Illusion. This delayed the game quite a lot.

I did like Vietcong as a game, but it never delivered 100% for me. Some things in Vietcong are great, but ultimately it failed in hooking me in.

H&D2 is not great in every department, but it feels and plays much better than VC (IMHO!).

I also have to state that I like WWII games more than Vietnam era games, but to get down to the point; for me, H&D2 is a much more immersive FPS experience than Vietcong.

bust out the old flashpoint CWC campaign. play "05 AFTER MONTIGNAC".....

i tremble in fear lost in those woods every time. still a mission i cannot beat without totally going rambo (or editing to get a better gun)

this is one of THIS game's most immersive mission ghostface.gif

Doom3 sp however it totally insane. i get the feeling "i don't wanna play this no more", but its not from me not liking the game. it just makes me feel disturbed, and i dont wanna go on to see whats gonna get me around the next corner. the whole game i just wanna be back @ mars city