Sign in to follow this  
sicilian

1.96a Server

Well, as the Report will follow I have a little wish if this version ever goes in another status.

If it's possible and doesn't take to much time please add something to the netlog feature for win32 that you can write more than one log file or to set a filesize to it.

This log is very useful but not if it runs up to hundreds of megabytes. Ok deleting it is a possible solution but not the finest and it's very bad for automated analyses.

So if you could do anything it would be very very nice!

Now back to the 1.96a Server...

Your turn

1. Report

12 digit ID was disconnected 2 times...

More will hopefully follow. Out

Also would be nice for a linux version too, as it sounds like a very good update for match servers to use, to keep out the ID changing players!

Maruk is the linux update to follow? thxs.

this is another reason we moved away from linsux

server been running all day and so looks sexy

Quote[/b] ]Ultra long IDs can still connect

Yes, they can ... but "Original games do not fade" smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]is a 4 digit ID a original one

It can be. I am however not able to provide an exact information how to know if an ID is valid or not.

However you should know:

1) You do not need to care, as the 1.96a server should deal with them properly

2) Some ID's are certainly invalid - including any ID longer than 10 digits (this does not mean all IDs below are valid).

We had a visit by a couple of cheaters a few minutes ago. They had valid IDs which were traced back (with the help of the ESL player database where people have to enter their OFP IDs when registering) to some honest players which definitely don't cheat.

The guys connected with these fakenicknames and different user IDs a couple of times and then they crashed/hung up our server through an external attack after they left. The server application had to be shut down via remote access.

Isn't there anything that can be done about that?

We had a visit by a couple of cheaters a few minutes ago. They had valid IDs which were traced back (with the help of the ESL player database where people have to enter their OFP IDs when registering) to some honest players which definitely don't cheat.

The guys connected with these fakenicknames and different user IDs a couple of times and then they crashed/hung up  our server through an external attack after they left. The server application had to be shut down via remote access.

Isn't there anything that can be done about that?

Well, the server could be hardened to prevent it from being killed like that but ... you can't really prevent people from changing their IDs to valid ones of other people.

So now, the cheaters will jsut use other people's IDs instead - especially if yo uwent out and posted'em on some website, impersonation will be a /snap/.

Yep, as 3 guys from OWM team Snip, they all have 4 ID numbers. All bought the game in july 2001 in France, and they are all fair and clean guys...

So dont be paranoiac...and stop kick them... ;)

Suma, would it be possible to host a webinterface on the OFP mainpage where you can enter a key and check if it is valid or fake? Still not perfect, but you might narrow down who is is a wolf in sheep's clothing before a mission starts and kick the suspected badguys before they try anything. Of course this still won't stop people using valid IDs from other players but it would be a bit of a help perhaps. rock.gif

I think a possibility of checking whether an ID is valid or not isn't a good idea. It could be misused...

Other questions:

How long does it take to see the message

Remember original games do not fade

if player uses invalid ID???

Is there a range or fixed timeout or will it be visible exactly after he connected?

And how many minutes does it take to get auto kicked after recieving this message above?

When will the check start to work?

When I'am connected or even when I'm still connecting?

Guess we'll have to manually put up with fake IDs then....

deceived

Shrike

Guess we'll have to manually put up with fake IDs then....

deceived

Shrike

Holiday period m8 wink_o.gif

I'm quite confident that the linux version will follow shortly smile_o.gif

If it is text, why not use NTFS Compression on the log file.

Should reduce the size by quite a margin.

Also maybe RAR it using a batch file between runs.

What about the linux version with the command debug?

and....

Ofp is really a great game, but the server (at least in linux) is really.. awful:

1. installing WWII it crashed at startup because a bad texture aspect ratio... I had to make a script to check each pbo in order to find the problematic one. 2 hours spent (or wasted because server didn't print the pbo with the error)

2. Starting some missions fails without any reason "apparently", or a message is printed saying that you have a lack of some addon (although it is there). addons dependecies not shown correctly (or not shown at all).

3. Lack of documentation: our clan had to search in different forums to find some things like remove 3rd person.

4. Lack of a forum for servers: all the questions about server, config server, bug in servers are in multiplayer... not too nice IMHO

I want to congratulate the people that have worked in this game, cause, as I have said beforem is really a GREAT game! I would like to say the same for the server....

best regards,

[sSU] Super Pepel

Well, three month now without a linux version. This is kind of a bummer, as i don't see what is so complicated about putting the same patch into the linux code and recompile the whole thing. This could maybe even help the libs problem by offering either binaries compiled for different lib versions or at least for the new versions.

Some of your points about missing log output is true, but most of it is the fault of broken addons/missions. Although it is strange that those same addons/missions are working on the windows server afaik. The linux server seems to be pickier, see for example aspect ratio. It would be great if this could be made equal by either making the windows server as picky or the linux server accept the same thing the win server does.

And do not forget the logs issue... logs are really bullshit! At least will be good a verbose option(or does it exists but I don't know how?)....

does someone know if exists a addon/mission dependency checker application (for linux if possible :)) ?

regards,

[sSU] Super Pepel

does someone know if exists a addon/mission dependency checker application (for linux if possible smile_o.gif) ?

I am writing one. It is kind of working now, but a few things are not taken into consideration, like requiredAddons[] array and some weird stuff, like an addon having no config.cpp but only some *.hpp files. But i have that kinda sorted out, i think, in the next issue. But i don't think this will be a public release til a lot later, as it is really basic and still prone to errors.

I could help you if you want!!

I think that all the ofp server admin comunity is praying for such a powerfull tool...

Send me a private message is you think I could help you in some way (I have studied the computer science career, and I have programming skills;) )

best regards,

[sSU] Super pepel

The hard part of the work was done by salisan who provided linux tools to unpack pbo and bin files from the command line. I don't want to take credit for his work so wanted to mention this here instead of in a pm. See here.

I just wrote a perl script that calls these tools, and parses the mission.sqm and the config.bin/config.cpp. But the first version was lacking in many ways (requiredAddons and calls/filepathes to other pbos , hpp files, some weird config structures) that i just now started from scratch again. As i am moving right now i can't say when i will have the time to work further on it.

I have probably missed the release but I still can't find a 1.96a Linux OFP server.

A heads up would be much appreciated, thanks.