Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ability to destroy firearms

thx jinef lol

Quote Originally Posted by (Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX @ July 17 2004,02:10)
    Let me make this clear:
    It COULD be done. It WOULD put a lot more strain on the engine, having to do loads of extra collision detection, which is the MOST intensive thing in the engine in terms of CPU time.
    And I've yet to see a decent reason for wanting it in; something that will add much to the game.
    It would be nice.... but it's not needed, and it 'costs' too much.
    Miss this?
    Banned.

how about if the soldier have taken a massive damage ***like a explosion the weapons on him is destroyed randomly?
    destroyed = removed.
    thus not needing more hitpoints.

Maybe instead of the weapon being broken, how about having the gun-holding (right-handed?) arm being shot with a regular bullet (not shrapnel), and then the limb is disabled. I just figure that from all the books I read, you can't shoot with a broken arm. (well, make it a random effect because I heard in WWII people were so motivated that there were many who fought decently with shot limbs.)

This effect might also be cool for non-lethal scenarios like capturing an armed officer for bonus points...

Actually weapons are destructible right now , though not when some one is holding them.

*** Here is a quick way to test it,

1. Put a any soldier on desert island (under your control)
    2. place an ammocrateII
    3. Preview the mission, once in the mission get a satchel from the crate.
    4. go drop your rifle then put the satchel charge on or near it it.
    5. go a safe distance and detonate the charge.
    6. Go back and exam your destroyed smoking weapon that you are no longer able to use. Works with any weapon even addons.

*** It also works on rocket launchers.

Do you guys realise that your entire discussion has been completely pointless?

1. Yes, destroyable weapons would be cool
    2. Yes, collision detection is the most CPU-consuming aspect of the game
    3. NO, weapon destruction would not cause much more 'lagg' as you call it, if any at all

Did you ever notice that certains parts of soldiers are especially vulnerable? Like a head shot causes instant death, a leg shot impairs walking capability, arm shot decreases accuracy. When a soldier is hit the game already detects which part of him was hit! Now you might think 'Wait a minute, the gun isn't really part of the soldier!'. In theory you are correct, but concerning OFP you are not. The gun is part of every soldier's Geometry LOD, and believe it or not, the game could easily know when the gun was hit and the gun could easily be disabled without any further CPU-usage. It just hasn't been implemeted by BIS, for whatever reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Actually weapons are destructible right now , though not when some one is holding them.

***Here is a quick way to test it,

1. Put a any soldier on desert island (under your control)
    2. place an ammocrateII
    3. Preview the mission, once in the mission get a satchel from the crate.
    4. go drop your rifle then put the satchel charge on or near it it.
    5. go a safe distance and detonate the charge.
    6. Go back and exam your destroyed smoking weapon that you are no longer able to use. ***Works with any weapon even addons.

***It also works on rocket launchers.
    This is because a dropped weapon is considered a building by the engine. Sounds strange but it's true.

Quote[/b] ]

Quote[/b] ]
    Quote (InqWiper @ July 22 2004,14:06)
    The test was about how much more lagg you would get if there were more areas on the soldier to hit (the weapons).
    And at that, it fails, because you don't understand how it works.
    Maybe not, but he was on the right track, as opposed to you.

By the way, those '400 soldiers' and 'it's raining men' tests completely missed the point, as Baron whats-his-name LXXVIII correctly pointed out. If you want to test extra collision detection (which, like I've already said, is completely pointless anyway) you would have to add a new part to a soldier model, I don't know - an extra arm or something, then put it in the Geometry and Hit-points LODs and then test the frame rate. I believe the difference would be negligable.

That's it. I hope I made my point.

Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 Motherboard | Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz | NVidia GeForce GTX770 4GB
    16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz RAM | Kingston HyperX SSD | ASUS Xonar D2X
    sound | be Quiet! 700W PSU | Windows 7 x64

extra work for engine?? not really
    more work if gun works than just making a clicking noise if it don't

I like the idea. but I think it should be on the difficulty menu, if ya know what I mean. so you can choose to turn it on or off, and then servers could decide if they want it on or off, and make them able to CHANGE difficulty during games, so if they accidently leave third person on, they can turn it off.

anyone played soldier of fortune, game kinda sucks but you can shoot guns out of peoples hands, I loved that. ofp2 should have that. and I wish ofp2 had all the blood and gore of soldier of fortune also. just so when you blow up, it's more realistic. and your body parts fly around.

that would give REAL military people an idea about what they gonna see if you're using this game as a training tool. it adds to the drama, so if you get to know a civilion and stuff. and you're friends,and then you see him blown into several pieces, you could go get revenge.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345