Sign in to follow this  
-HC-Para

Dead fall - Stumps, fallen trees, dead growth.

I think that there is one area in terms of vegetation that has, at least to my knowledge, been neglected by vegetation pack addon makers.

This is the area descripted as "dead fall". IE - fallen trees, old tree stumps, etc.

crossing-song-rai.jpg

broots.jpg

There have been a couple of attempts to incorperate these objects into packs - namely BAS_O and Mig's Colonial Wars addon. Neither attempt has solved the issues of clipping and/or AI obstruction.

Dead fall is severly missed in any map where there is a good deal of jungle. Every Vietnam vet I've talked to or interviewed has mentioned dead fall and the VC's ability to use it to their advantage.

Is there any addon makers who would be interested in looking into this area?

Para

Yea nothing like a slope inside a dead tree ghostface.gif

I can imagine that fallen tree over the river acting as a bridge atleast for the players, easily, but as it's a bit narrow even in RL to be safe, AI has no chance. And ofcourse it'd have to be one helluva long tree due to the grid size, atleast 75m to span from the middle of grid A over B to the middle of C. If you wan't to get below it that is, which is desirable as there are only a so many rivers to use anyway you wouldn't want to block.

We (FVT) actually have a fairly well working suspension bridge (WIP) so it's not far from that thickness. But else than that, I'd like to know exactly how was 'dead fall' used.

Heh, ok - sorry Fred, perhaps the image of the tree as bridge suggested the wrong thing. Although, actually - it should be possible with a good ai pathway and some object sinking in WRPtool smile_o.gif

Pic00002DeadFall.jpg

sndbnk10.jpg

elmir12.jpg

This is more what I mean, dead trees - they lie everywhere in forest and jungle terrain.

They are a primary source of cover and concealment, which is why I'd like to see them in OFP done better than they have been before.

Jungle actually consists of a number of layers: BBC Science - Virtual Jungle We need more ground level cover than rocks and vertical tree trucks. You can't hide from a bullet behind a bush, you need something solid! I'd like to see some buttress roots and a lot of different types of fallen trees.

Para

Agreed, fallen trees should be made. With the current packs that it should be fairly easy to make these. For example Ilo Ilo, which Ebud was so kind to let us 'Nam modders rip appart smile_o.gif ,has some great texutres and objects, a modder could open those up in O2 and make some fallen trees. Not too difficult, no? I could give it a go.

I dont think that will cut it, those trees are too skinny, we need bigass jungle trees, and fallen dead versions of them too.

I've got some models of emergent trees in 3DS format. Emergent trees are the big 250 foot tall canopy toppers in the jungle. They have those huge bases with actual parasitic plants growing out of the trunk. I've been planning on doing some of these with vines, flowers and plants growing out of them when the desert stuff is finished.

Could you post some pics? smile_o.gif Would love to take a look at them.

Man trees like that could be put to very good use in an upcoming island, I could help you with textures and stuff if you need. I'm sure these trees are somethign many addon makers would like to have a helping hand in.

@ Fred, I forgot to mention - why haven't you sent that bridge to me yet? biggrin_o.gif

Para

With the use of AI pathways and roadway loads it should be very possible and also be very cool smile_o.gif Maybe with an animation of it falling down would be good for missions (like bonk gubas head unclesam.gif)