Sign in to follow this  
.bigdog.jd.

Dedicated server will not load server.cfg settings

I have the 1.46 dedicated server program OFP_server running in the root OFP folder, which contains all the pertinent files such as flashpoint.cfg, server.cfg, and OFP_server.bat.  I have edited OFP_server.bat and added the command line

OFP_server.exe -config=server.cfg

I then run this batch file and start a server, which is visible on gamespy, however I see no changes in the hostname, the MOTD that I have specified, the admin password I have chosen, or other settings.  It is joinable and playable in gamespy, and I have hosted several sessions with 6-10 people......I just can't get the server.cfg file to set the server, which could be optimized if it would load my maxmessage send values and bandwidth specifications.

I've searched this forum, and the internet, for days, getting the same cookie cutter explanations.  

"Put the OFP_server.exe file in the root OFP directory, create server.cfg using notepad and put in your settings, create a command line argument for the server.cfg file, and then run the batch....."

It seems simple enough, and I'm sure it is......but it aint working.  Server is up, but under default parameters.  

Am I in the right directory?  Does server.cfg need to be moved to a different folder?  If I use wordpad, notepad, or journal viewer to edit.....does this cause a problem for it to be loaded? I can create several server.cfg files using different programs in the SAME directory......so does OFP_server.exe care which text program I use to create it? (of course, currently, I'm only have the 1 server.cfg file, and have removed all the others.)

I've even deleted the contents of sample.cfg, replaced it with my settings, and then renamed it server.cfg.....still nothing.

I truly appreciate your help.

.bigdog.jd.

Can you list the contents of the OFP_Server.bat and server.cfg?

The bandwidth parameters are supposed to go into flashpoint.cfg, not server.cfg wink_o.gif They are ignored if you put them into server.cfg.

OFP_server.bat contents:

REM OPERATION FLASHPOINT STANDALONE DEDICATED SERVER LAUNCHER

REM

REM

OFP_Server.exe -config=server.cfg

REM                    ^^^^^^^^^^

REM

REM Name your config file here.

server.cfg conatins:

hostname="Bigdog's OFP 1.46";

passwordAdmin="XXXXXXXXXX";

reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";

maxPlayers=20;

aiKills=true;

MaxMsgSend="768";

MaxSizeGuaranteed="512";

MaxSizeNonguaranteed="";

MinBandwidth="1500000";

MaxBandwidth="3000000";

motd[]={

"**Welcome to Bigdog's OFP.  Feel free to vote yourself the admin to change maps",

"** vote by chatting '#vote admin name' without the quotes.",

"** Map list is always improving.  Have a suggestion for a map?  Email the admin at bdserver@sbcglobal.net",

"** Voice over Net is ACTIVE.  Remember to use correct channels and DO NOT LEAVE THEM OPEN",

};

motdInterval=10;

voteThreshold=0.51;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

checkfiles[]=

flashpoint.cfg contains

Light_Explo="1";

Cloudlets="1";

Cockpit_Textures="256";

Limit_LOD="0.019";

CPU_Benchmark="5639";

3D_Performance="5639";

Frame_Rate_Pref="500";

VehShadows="1";

File_Heap="16";

Object_Textures="256";

HW_Type="Direct3D HW T&L";

MaxObjects="256";

refresh="75";

Shadows="1";

Language="English";

Quality_Pref="500";

Resolution_W="1024";

Adapter="0";

Texture_Heap="16";

Resolution_Bpp="32";

Resolution_H="768";

Reflections="1";

MaxLights="32";

Sky="1";

Animated_Textures="128";

Light_Missile="1";

Landscape_Textures="128";

Textures_Drop_Down="4";

Shadows_LOD="0.050";

LOD="7.500";

Total_Memory="1024 MB";

Light_Static="1";

A curiosity question first:  Why are you running 1.46 instead of 1.96?

A couple things to try:

1. Since you are not checking files, remove this line: checkfiles[]=  I think that might be your problem, the line is not terminated with a ";" and not defined properly, therefore it won't load.

2. What is aiKills = TRUE?  Never seen that parameter before.  Try removing that if step 1 doesn't work.

3. Make sure your server.cfg is indeed named that and not something like server.cfg.txt (Turn on extensions for known file types in explorers Tools --> Folder Options menu)

4. Launch OFP_Server -config-server.cfg from a command line and see if any error is returned.

A couple maintenance issues:

Delete these lines, they won't have any noticeable effect on your server performance:

MaxSizeNonguaranteed="";

MaxBandwidth="3000000";

MaxSizeGuaranteed="512";

Move these lines to flashpoint.cfg:

MaxMsgSend="768";

MinBandwidth="1500000";

Here is our server.cfg from The Citadel WarGames Server:

Quote[/b] ]

hostname = "The CITADEL WarGames Server";

passwordAdmin = "xxxxxxxxxx";

motdInterval=10;

motd[]={

"Welcome to THE CITADEL",

"-->A WarGames Certified Server",

"---->The Home of [PBC] and [RR]",

"------->Get WarGames Addpak 4.11 at http://the-citadel.us.com",

"--------->Proud members of the WarGames League",

"----------->Ventrilo available @ 69.56.169.34 (the-citadel.us)",

};

reportingIP="master.gamespy.com";

voteThreshold=0.3;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

maxPlayers=30;

maxCustomFileSize=30;

kickDuplicate="true";

checkfiles[]=

{

"wgl\addons\ags_build.pbo",

"wgl\addons\ags_inds.pbo",

"wgl\addons\ags_port.pbo",

"wgl\addons\apcrus.pbo",

"wgl\addons\apcupd.pbo",

"wgl\addons\baracken.pbo",

"wgl\addons\kegags.pbo",

"wgl\addons\kegrpg7.pbo",

"wgl\addons\kmmint.pbo",

"wgl\addons\konkursm.pbo",

"wgl\addons\lsr_gru.pbo",

"wgl\addons\lsr_vdv.pbo",

"wgl\addons\usmcsymbols.pbo",

"wgl\addons\usmc_gaia.pbo",

"wgl\addons\usmc_t_1.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wglevents.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_baracken.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_markers.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_men.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_men_config.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_mi2no.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_obj.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_ui.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_up_mortar.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_veh.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_veh_config.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_vitapc.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_wep.pbo",

"wgl\addons\wgl_wep_config.pbo",

"wgl\bin\config.bin",

"wgl\bin\context.bin",

"wgl\bin\resource.bin",

"res\dta\hwtl\merged.pbo",

};

class Missions // list of missions that will be played in cyclic order

{

class Mission01

{

template =  @wgl_11_gilligans_island_v2.1.noe;

cadetMode = 0;

};

class Mission02

{

template =  @wgl_09_op_iron_horse_v1.1.usmc_gaia;

cadetMode = 0;

};

class Mission03

{

template =  @wgl_06_crusade_v1.1.usmc_gaia;

cadetMode = 0;

};

class Mission04

{

template =  @wgl_07_monastery_v1.1.usmc_gaia;

cadetMode = 0;

};

class Mission05

{

template =  @wgl_04_op_serpent_v1.1.abel;

cadetMode = 0;

};

};

Let me know how it works out. smile_o.gif

I was having the server.cfg named as server.cfg.cfg. Windows was being stupid, I guess, and adding extensions to files I was renaming.

Great advice. Server is now passworded and host named (Bigdog's OFP 1.46....come on over and play)

It's 1.46 because I'm not running resistance or the GOTY edition. I could run resistance, I guess, but I don't see as many players.

About the min/max message sends. I am not sure exactly what to set these as.

Currently my DSL connection is getting 2.1Mbits downstream and 350kbps upstream. I think it might push closer to 380, but when I check it, it is usually around 360 or so.

What do you think my bandwidth options should be? Of course minbandwidth = 1500000, Maxbandwidth = 3000000, but MaxMsgSend of 768 I'm not sure about. And also the sixe guaranteed parameters......confusing.

The server is a 2.0ghz AMDxp 2400 with 512DDR in sync with the 133FSB. Since this game is getting a little older thand dirt, I would think that I should be able to run a little lag free, but on heavy AI maps such as lost squad or air cav, we get a little bouncy sometimes.

Will altering the maxmessage and bandwidth parameters solve this problem for me?

Quote[/b] ]Currently my DSL connection is getting 2.1Mbits downstream and 350kbps upstream.  I think it might push closer to 380, but when I check it, it is usually around 360 or so.
Quote[/b] ]The server is a 2.0ghz AMDxp 2400 with 512DDR in sync with the 133FSB.  Since this game is getting a little older thand dirt, I would think that I should be able to run a little lag free, but on heavy AI maps such as lost squad or air cav, we get a little bouncy sometimes.  

You're going to be disappointed to hear this, but a dedicated server will never run properly on that DSL connection.  Your upstream bandwidth of 380kbps is just too small of a pipe.  At most I would expect you could maybe host for a few players if the map wasn't too intensive and didn't have lots of units.  

The server specs aren't too bad, from a physical server hardware perspective you could host smaller coops and such relatively easy, but you'll choke on bandwidth.  

Most dedicated servers out there capable of hosting big games are running on a 10 or 100 Mbps pipe on servers ranging from 2.4+ GHz and 1024 MB RAM and up.

Quote[/b] ]It's 1.46 because I'm not running resistance or the GOTY edition.  I could run resistance, I guess, but I don't see as many players.

Doesn't matter whether its GOTY, Resistance, etc, a dedicated server will run OFP in all its forms and glory.  1.96 contains tons of bug fixes, cheat prevention measures, and is very stable.